Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Upgraded my work computer from 11.10 to 12.04 without a hitch. Thank god 'cause this is the first time I've successfully used the upgrade tool without my system getting hosed in some fashion (granted, the last time I used the upgrade tool was in the pre-6.10 days)

I love that they fixed some Unity usability issues with dual monitors, but I've noticed that the graphics seem to be a little more sluggish than 11.10 (I'm running 2 monitors each at 1920x1200.) In 11.10, I've had to add the ubuntu-x-swat PPA with newer nvidia drivers to fix graphic "smoothness" issues. The same PPA doesn't seem to be helping in 12.04

Edit: Random small note.. I love the choice of default wallpapers that the artwork team has been choosing ever since the shift in Ubuntu's design paradigm.

krnhotwings fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 1, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have an annoying issue... Sometimes, I'll have my monitor connected to a device other than my desktop. I'll power on the desktop and have it boot, and then later I'll plug in the monitor. When I do this, I get a blank screen (monitor says it's in power saving mode.) The only way to fix this is hard restart the computer or ssh in and restart lightdm.

If I ssh into my desktop and look at the xorg logs, I see:
code:
[     7.888] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to assign any connected display devices to X screen 0
[     7.912] (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failing initialization of X screen 0
[     8.077] (II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
I'm using the nvidia-319 driver (not 319-current) rather than xorg-nouveau 'cause the stock driver has -- and has always had -- terrible graphical performance for me. The proprietary nvidia driver works fine when I already have the monitor plugged in and then power on the desktop.

Is there any way to make the system NOT unload the nvidia module? It seems that nvidia is being unloaded and then xorg falls back to vesa (at least as far as I can tell from /etc/X11/xorg.conf.failsafe) As I understand it, once nvidia is unloaded there's nothing I can do except for the solutions stated above, which I'd like to avoid..

• Locked thread