Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

theultimo posted:

Update on my yoga 2 wireless... Still broke. Looks like I have to mod the ideapad-laptop driver to update the ec, it soft bricked the wireless card so even windows doesn't see it.

Blacklist ideapad-laptop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

So the Suspend command still doesn't work for 14.04. This has been an outstanding problem since like what? 12.04 if not earlier? Going to wipe off Ubuntu and run OpenElec or some other distro for my HTPC. I really want it to turn itself off when not in use.

Do you have other acpi problems?

ShadowHawk posted:

What problem exactly are you having? Is it that when you tell it to suspend, it's not actually powering down? Or is it that it's not powering down when you do something that should suspend it (like closing a laptop lid when not on AC power)?

I've noticed on one of my machines that if I have the "don't suspend on lid close when on AC power" set, and then I close the lid, and then unplug it, it won't suspend.
Lid close fires an event. Power removal is another. Some acpi implementations fire fire lid closed when the power is unplugged (if it's closed), some don't. You can generally file a bug and they'll hack the table for your laptop to make it work as intended.

Or script it yourself

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

It's not a lid closing issue, it's a standard desktop I repurposed into a HTPC after it was too outdated for gaming. I tell it to suspend and it just hangs there. Nothing happens. It's not just this computer as well, every computer I've used Ubuntu on has this issue. Linux Mint on the other hand didn't have this issue on the same builds. It's an issue that has been reported and looked over a lot since 12.04 was first released, i'm not bothering to deal with it since having a full desktop OS is actually more than I really need for this HTPC.

Try pm-suspend

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lysidas posted:

Does anyone have any opinions about using daily ISO images of a stable Ubuntu version for new installs? I like the idea of a new installation having updated packages immediately (without having to prolong the installation process by selecting "download updates while installing"). I don't mind an extra zsync ISO download before making new bootable flash drive. Daily images for prerelease versions are sometimes broken for a few days at a time, but I wouldn't expect this to happen to daily ISOs of a stable version.

If you're installing Ubuntu this often, set up a local apt mirror and spin your own CD with a preseed (or PXE)

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wooger posted:

Or make an unattended install script that will run everything for you without interaction.

This is exactly what preseed does. It automates the installer. After which you should have it talk to your puppetmaster, saltmaster, or whatever if you need further configuration.

While I think PXE booting from a local repo and a preseed file is a lot better, putting a repo on a writable part of the flash drive along with a preseed answer file is also trivially simple and you can plug it in and walk away. Given that the question was about using a flash drive, I'm not sure that PXE or "imaging the drive" are appropriate solutions.

Imaging drives for Linux doesn't really make any sense on any distro which supports preseed or kickstart, unless you want to try to keep track of the kajillion things which need to be configured (and may change on the next version) yourself rather than letting the installer (which already does those things) handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ShadowHawk posted:

There is also merit in build scripts that install your package list, update everything, and do whatever manual configuration you want, as such things are more easily portable. I once had a rather sophisticated deployment script that would work on 3 different cloud providers, bare metal servers, and random laptops used for demos.

This is the exact use case for any configuration management system you want (Salt, Chef, Ansible, Puppet, cfengine), which handle working on different providers for you.

The idea is that build scripts on images need to be updated when distros change to networkmanager. Or packages get broken out into subpackages. Or the configuration format of enscript.conf changes slightly. Or whatever. Where a manual build script requires a lot of :effort: from you to keep it working, using a higher level abstraction to install (preseed, kickstart) and configure (any configuration management system you want) saves you time and effort, as well as making sure what anyone new who walks into your build environment can tell exactly what it's doing without deciphering your "sophisticated deployment script", because they already know Puppet.

• Locked thread