Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012
OK, I registered just to comment on this release. I just installed it on my HP Envy 17 with an Intel Core i7-2630QM with 6gb of ram, and it is kinda weird.

For the first 15-30 minutes, everything runs kinda sluggishly, but then everything starts working at a decent speed (for example, up until just a few seconds ago loading websites on firefox took 2-3 minutes, and typing things into this text box caused a delay of 1-2 seconds from when I would hit a key and the text would actually show up).

Now everything is running at the speed of the old LTS release, but this seems like the sort of thing that might cause new users to run away screaming. Even when running the Live CD (off of a USB), I had to reboot it several times before it would run fast enough for me to even install the system.

I suppose it is tolerable, but I wish I didn't have to wait for a break-in period every time I rebooted the system. Aside from that, everything seems pretty nice.

edit: It does this regardless of whether the proprietary ATI driver is installed or not.

edit2: Rebooting reproduced the symptoms I just described. I also have my home directory encrypted. That shouldn't be causing the problem, though. This kinda reminds me of how Linux was 10 years ago...

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

angrytech posted:

Merkinman, have you posted that on AskUbuntu? That sounds like the kind of thing that they would have a solution for.

Have you tried running "top" in a terminal to see what the processor is doing?

As far as "sudo top" seems to reveal, xorg seems to be the biggest offender. The other applications seem to randomly display anywhere from 0% cpu usage to 108% percent usage.

It's just kinda frustrating to go from a stable LTS (that worked perfectly) to another LTS that requires additional configuration. Almost like upgrading from Windows 98 to Windows ME.

edit: And once again it returned to "normal" after about an hour. Weird. Could it be that my laptop uses two graphics cards?

It reminds me of the old days where you had to wait ages for your system to boot on linux and then you tried so hard to configure your system so you only had to reboot it once a year because of that.

edit2: I think it just gave up after a certain point and reverted to unity 2d. Strangely it behaves the same way when I select unity 2d at the login prompt. Once it stabilizes it is an excellent distro...

edit3: OK, so after more time spent with this it seems to stabilize for maybe 4-5 minutes at a time, then for 4-5 minutes it becomes sluggish again, then the cycle repeats. Seriously, WTF? For a product produced by an actual company, why does it suck so hard? There is no loving way I would ever pay money for this. Ubuntu 10.04 LTS was so much better. Hell, even Windows is better than this. I'd say 12.04 is about on par with Apple's OS.

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 27, 2012

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012
They should've just made a 2D desktop environment that wouldn't cause a core i7 to poo poo itself.

I'm gonna give xubuntu a try...

edit: xubuntu wouldn't boot off of a usb. Fail. I guess Debian Stable is my last chance before I go out and buy Windows. Linux is in a sorry state right now.

edit2: Haha, they actually programmed their usb disk creator to prevent people from creating usb disks with Debian on it. How low can you go?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there disk thrashing going on?

There are a few automated tasks that might be happening right after startup, particularly initial startup (like polling for updates), so it may help to figure out what's going on.

Bob Morales posted:

Does it do any disk indexing?

This might have been the problem. It seems to be running fine now (I couldn't get another variant of Ubuntu or Debian installed so I'm stuck with it), but indexing and some of those tasks should be disabled when running off the cdrom/usb to install because it just makes it look bad, and there should be some kind of warning for fresh installs along the lines of "doing some indexing; performance may not be optimal for a couple hours."

Or, and I'm assuming this is possible, they could have programmed the indexing function to wait until the user wasn't trying to do something until it started doing its thing. The disk thrashing was pretty crazy.

edit: How to fix dual graphics card issues

I'm gonna try this when I get home and see if this resolves the issue. It still seems like a pretty huge bug to have been ignored for the sake of releasing the LTS on schedule.

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 28, 2012

Marlboro Lover
Apr 27, 2012
OK, I solved my problem (I have two GPUs and it was making Ubuntu freak out), and here is how I did it:

quote:

Disable (power off) Radeon discrete graphics at all times.
We use vgaswitcheroo for this. It is included by default in Ubuntu 12.04, no need to install anything

- Power off at boot
sudo gedit /etc/rc.local

add the following before 'exit 0'

echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

Now everything runs nicely. Still, it was kinda annoying to have to find this solution at all...(it also isn't a solution if I ever want to do anything in 3D, but we can't always be winners)

I also can't use the proprietary ati drivers or the problem comes back.

Marlboro Lover fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 28, 2012

• Locked thread