Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
I upgraded my 3.5-year-old Dell laptop to 12.04 last night from 11.10. It went swimmingly and everything seems to be working perfectly. Just thought I'd add a success story to help balance out the bad experiences others have had.

Edit: This makes... I think... 6 consecutive, successful upgrades on this system. From 9.04 - 12.04.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

"Snapping Windows" has some "edge resistance" settings. Those are for how hard it resists being pulled off. Edit: At least, I think.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

That happens to me on my Dell laptop. I can use ctrl+alt+f1 to switch to a prompt and reboot from there. This only seemed to start with 12.04... The last, like, 3-4 releases slept just fine.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Oh hey, it's release day. No sign of 12.10, yet.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

On the other hand, I've upgraded smoothly since 9.04 or so.

Edit: Including today.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Just kidding. At least it seems to be a minor issue (not a hosed system) but DNS resolution doesn't work for me now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

fourwood posted:

Just kidding. At least it seems to be a minor issue (not a hosed system) but DNS resolution doesn't work for me now.

Turns out resolv.conf needs to point nameserver to 127.0.1.1, not 127.0.0.1 like it was. :confused:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Is there something in the screensaver settings for locking the screen?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I have a Thinkpad T430s headed my way and I have an mSATA SSD that I'll be putting Ubuntu on. Are there any active steps I need to take to make sure the SSD is being handled properly (turning on TRIM or whatever)? Will the installer handle everything I need it to? Is there a best-choice filesystem to use?

fourwood fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 31, 2013

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Is it reasonable to get a current Gnome3 desktop in Ubuntu? Or what's the best Gnome3 setup on a Debian-based system?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

I have no experience with Medibuntu, but from the main website:

quote:

The Medibuntu repository is unmaintained. We recommend that you do not use it.

The entire sources.list.d directory is a 404, too, so... I don't know, maybe it's all gone now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

If you have a >= 1GB flash drive sitting around, you can download the ISO for free and boot it off the USB stick.

• Locked thread