Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
I installed Ubuntu 13.1 in VMWare Workstation 10 under Windows 7 just to screw around a little bit. Everything went pretty well. However, whenever I shut the VM down, I encounter an odd problem upon trying to start it back up.

When I try to re-launch the machine, whether from a suspended state or from a dead stop, it won't launch IF my Windows 7 machine has entered "sleep" mode since the prior VM shutdown. The VMWare "bios" shows up, and then a black screen with a "_" shows up in the upper left hand corner. Booting verbose, the boot process stops when it gets to the USB hub section.

The weird thing is that everything starts working again if I reboot the host machine and then launch the VM.

I've scoured the internet and I'm unable to find an answer to my problem.

I don't have *a lot* of linux experience, and I have basically no VM experience. Any help would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

nuvan posted:

Just off the top of my head, but have you tried disabling the option to allow Windows to turn off the USB hub for power savings?

Note that I'm on Windows 8.1, so your wording may be slightly different.

If you open the device manager, in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers section, you'll have a number of USB Root Hubs.

If you open the Properties pane for each root hub, you'll see a tab labelled Power Management. If you select it, there's a checkbox there that says Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Clear the checkbox, and hit OK. Now try putting your computer to sleep, and check to see if the USB still gets you stuck. If it does, then I have no idea what the problem is, and I just did a lot of typing for nothing.
Thanks for all of the input. I tried this and it didn't work. Then I installed Windows 8. Everything works fine now, except I'm running Windows 8, which introduced other sleep-related problems. Regardless, VMWare works fine now.

• Locked thread