Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

edit: not because of major problems with 12.10 or anything, just it seems like 12.04 is going to be the first LTS release that people actually do keep around on their desktops for years.

I'll be running 10.04 on my desktop at work til my hosting provider upgrades their servers from 10.04 server... so forever I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

I am noticing something odd in 12.04 (.02 server lts). Running "top c" instead of "top -c" gives a syntax error. "top c" works fine in 10.04 (various), 13.04 (xubuntu) and most other linux's I've used so I'm a bit mystified on this. Googling questions about top is challenging as well due to how common the term is and that top is used in troubleshooting so many other things.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Does anyone know if a ubuntu 10.04 install will survive being move to a different system (like wholesale pulling os ssd out and droppig it in new box)? My main concern is that the new workstation is secure boot (efi? uefi?). Would be nice not to spend any time trying to get my work workstation setup again (I've have trouble with it before).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Give it a try. If it boots you win. If it doesn't you might as well reinstall and preserve your home directory.

wooger posted:

10.04 is old, and will be unsupported next year. I'd much rather put 14.04 on a new workstation, unless you have good reasons to use such old software.

Anyway, the biggest issue is likely to be drivers;
Does the old kernel you're using support the hardware in your new box?
If you have any proprietary GPU drivers, uninstall and go back to the most basic VESA mode before the move.

You can definitely disable secure boot by some means, but that's a separate thing to EFI; Go into the BIOS and check you're able to turn on "legacy booting" or similar.

If your new motherboard is EFI only I'd recommend a reinstall.

Well I found mint 15 mate running on this workstation and it seems good enough. I can't really remember why I didn't switch from my old 10.04 system previously, but this time that old box is going away so I won't have a choice.

Surprisingly this dell looks to have a standard matx mobo and connectors, so if push came to shove I was just going to move my old mobo/ssd/guts into the dell case (I'm doing all this to recover the extra nice case the old system is in).

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

There's also the fstrim utility which in certain workloads can be better than mounting discard.

That being said trim should be something you can turn on and off whenever you'd like, something like "mount -o remount /mount/point" with discard added to the options in the fstab (or all in the commandline). The kernel won't let you turn on discard if (or do anything with fstrim) if it feels like the device doesn't support trim. You can check if it will let you trim/discard by doing:

find /sys/ -name discard_max_bytes
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/ata1/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/block/sda/queue/discard_max_bytes

If discard_max_bytes is greater than zero than you can on that device.

You probably don't need to upgrade just to enable trim.

e: hdparm can trim ext4 filesystems online sometimes even when the os doesn't support it. If you are feeling especially brave.

e2: Nevermind: "For Solid State Drives (SSDs). EXCEPTIONALLY DANGEROUS. DO NOT USE THIS OPTION!!"

Aquila fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

fstrim reports every byte/block that it could trim, not every byte/block that it did trim:

" -v, --verbose
Verbose execution. When specified fstrim will output the number of bytes passed from the filesystem down the block stack to the device for potential discard. This number is a maxi‐
mum discard amount from the storage device's perspective, because FITRIM ioctl called repeated will keep sending the same sectors for discard repeatedly.
"

So I think you're fine.

Also keep in mind ext4 and recent linux probably has background/collected/aggregated trim with discard mount worked out, so scripted fstrim probably isn't needed anymore.

• Locked thread