Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A friend of mine had asked me to wipe their Gateway LT4004u netbook (Intel Atom 2600/GMA 3600 graphics) and install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Starter Edition. Considering the anemic specs the netbook has, I'm debating if installing Ubuntu 12.04 on it would offer better performance. She just uses it for basic web-browsing, but I've been reading that there have been issues with getting video playback to work with GMA3600, but those posts/threads were a couple months/a year or so old. Would that have been fixed by now with a driver update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

These days I don't think Linux is dramatically faster, if at all, than Windows.

Yeah, I noticed that after the install, heh. She's up for new things, which is good since I like messing around with stuff, so I'm going to see if I can get the vanilla Chromium OS build running and see if that makes any difference.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

MrMoo posted:

Atom's are slow at multi-processing, thus typically Firefox should perform better than Chrome.

I've been throwing a whole bunch of random OS's onto this thing little netbook all day today at work. So far, Lubuntu 13.04 seems to perform the best of the bunch; everything works great so far, except Quicktime playback for some reason. Tried Ubuntu 12.04 LTS which ran ok, but the suspend function made the display driver crash causing the display to go wonky after resuming and I could not find a fix. Windows 7 Starter/Home Premium fresh install still ran like poo poo, Joli OS was by far the worse (holy poo poo did that run like a slow-dragging resource hogging asshat), Chromium OS (failed to get past the welcome screen, heh). I'm going to see if installing Ubuntu 13.04 i386 makes a difference with the suspend, because I think my friend would enjoy the Unity 2D UI more than LXDE.

[edit] Didn't realize Unity 2D isn't available in 13.04. Oh well! Lubuntu it is :)

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jul 23, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Is there a recommended SSD to run Ubuntu on that's in line with the SH/SC SSD thread? I came across this article regarding a 120GB Samsung EVO on Ubuntu that's a bit disconcerting: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=samsung_840evo_ssd&num=1

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Lots of guys are using the Samsung EVO with no issues. I have two 256GB Crucial m500's in my laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 - they finally enable TRIM out of the box.

Something is likely up with those tests. For one, that's only the 120GB version of the drive which performs worse than the larger versions

Also, it's comparing to OCZ Vertex drives, older drives with less dense chips that show less performance loss at 120GB capacities and also use compression so they can show inflated benchmark numbers.

Not sure there's really anything in particular about Linux that would not make that drive a viable choice.

Ok cool. Yeah, 14.04 having trim enabled out of the box is one of the reasons I ordered a new SSD. I have a 120GB Samsung 840 EVO on order and was wondering if I should have gone with an Intel 530 or something instead. As for the 120 version running worse than its bigger siblings, I was under the impression lower capacity SSDs of any brand typically perform worse than the higher capacity models.

[edit] Also, how would I go about updating the firmware of the 840 EVO seeing as Samsung Magician isn't available for linux? Can the Magician software run in Wine?

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Roundboy posted:

I'm on 12 still and I didn't even consider trim, I'll have to look at enabling that.

Boot times for server are 10 seconds, and the only slow down was from sata drive to sata drive when I saw slow transfer speeds, which seems to be a well known issue.

What SSD? Also, is partition alignment really that important? I was reading its like a must-do tweak if you're running Ubuntu on an SSD (especially any Samsung EVO model) via this article: http://cillian.wordpress.com/2013/11/16/setting-up-samsung-840-evo-ssds-on-linux/ but I'm not sure how credible that is.

[Edit] Ehh, I have Ubuntu up and running now on a 120GB EVO and this poo poo boots to desktop in like 5 seconds; no idea how/what partition alignment will affect. That said, I followed this guide for some general SSD tweaks under 14.04: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/ssd - Although, I didn't do over-provisioning. Doesn't TRIM take care of whatever issues may be prevented from making an unallocated partition?

teagone fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 4, 2014

• Locked thread