Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
My parents have a weird graphics glitch after I upgraded their PC to 12.04. All of the text gets garbled, on the unity menus, in firefox, the terminal, everywhere yet graphics are fine. They say it happens after they switch users. Logging out and logging back in fixes the issue. Try as hard as I might (switching users dozens of times) I can't reproduce the bug. Since I can't reproduce it, does this mean I probably shouldn't bother reporting it even though I have screenshots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Longinus00 posted:

Is your hardware the same as theirs? Specifically the graphics card and drivers?

No, my hardware isn't the same. It's a 7 year old p4 box so it has some kind of intel gma I'd wager. Its a shame I've recycled all of my old AGP video cards, because now I don't have any way to trouble shoot.

Its really not a big deal since it takes all of four seconds to fix, and it happens maybe once or twice a week. Believe it or not this is the first bug I've encountered with ubuntu that wasn't the result of my installing software without using apt.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Cheekio posted:

I have a fun general question that isn't about fixing anything!

Compiz apparently has a bug where live window resizing hogs the CPU and makes responsive web design pretty much impossible, so I'm looking at options. I believe I can just replace the buggy unity/compiz altogether, which means I'm in the market for a new window manager. Oh the possibilities!

What's slick? What's good? What will I swear by and refuse to use anything besides well after its no longer supported?

I like fluxbox. Its simple and it stays out of the way. It is incredibly customizable. Combined with cairo-doc with psuedo transparency, I find it a pleasure to use. If you are looking for a more full featured WM I like xfce as a lightweight desktop environment.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Aquila posted:

I am noticing something odd in 12.04 (.02 server lts). Running "top c" instead of "top -c" gives a syntax error. "top c" works fine in 10.04 (various), 13.04 (xubuntu) and most other linux's I've used so I'm a bit mystified on this. Googling questions about top is challenging as well due to how common the term is and that top is used in troubleshooting so many other things.

if you run which top, is it aliased or running a different binary or anything?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Tried to upgrade a 13.10 xubuntu install to 14.04 today. It was on an acer c720. Due to the tiny ssd there is no swapfile. The updater complained about disk space so I cleared out 3gb or so. Halfway through the upgrade it starts throwing memory allocation errors. You would think 2gb was enough but nope. The updater started trying to revert before it threw a final allocation error and crashed. Welp, totally hosed install. I wound up torrenting the 14.04 xubuntu image, backing up home to an external drive, and doing a format and reinstall.

Is there a memory minimum to do an in place upgrade or was this a bug? I checked available memory when it started throwing up allocation errors and I still had 200mb of free memory, but that doesn't mean it wasn't trying to allocate 50mb contiguously or something.

• Locked thread