Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I have a fun general question that isn't about fixing anything!

Compiz apparently has a bug where live window resizing hogs the CPU and makes responsive web design pretty much impossible, so I'm looking at options. I believe I can just replace the buggy unity/compiz altogether, which means I'm in the market for a new window manager. Oh the possibilities!

What's slick? What's good? What will I swear by and refuse to use anything besides well after its no longer supported?

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
If anyone is getting random screen freezes in 14.04 using Nvidia cards with the 331 drivers, the trick is to Ctrl-Alt-F1 and then Ctrl-Alt-F7 back into your Xsession, and you won't see the issue again until you reboot. I'm also using the nvidia-prime because I have an optimus laptop.

No information in the logs, no posts on the internet about it, just a broken connection to X server and a weird, ancient TTY shortcut to work around it. The previous workaround was to ctrl-alt-f1 into TTY and sudo service lightdm restart. Worked, but trashed whatever you were in the middle of.

Also, when I say no information in the logs, I mean kern.log, syslog, lightdm.log, x-0.log, and Xorg.log. Seriously, you think one of those would notice that a fatal error occurred between the running beating heart of the computer and the user.

• Locked thread