Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Noob question incoming: I'm having trouble mounting a samba share (shared from OpenElec). It shows up fine under Network in the file browser but I'd like to mount it so it shows up e.g. in the downloads pop-up from Chrome (if there's a better way to do this let me know). I'm getting permission denied when I used sudo mount -t cifs. Which doesn't make sense since I looked at the .conf and everything is set to guest access, plus I added "map to guest = Bad User". Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I have it set up so everyone is a guest and guests have full access. Plus since the shares show up in the File Browser it seems strange that permission would be denied.

Ninja edit: Sorry if I'm missing the point of your question.

Edit: Figured it out, apparently in 13.04 you have to add sec=ntlm to /etc/fstab

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 13, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I'm really confused. I have a taskbar shortcut (PyCharm) that stopped working. However, if I run the command that's in the .desktop file, it launches fine. Any idea what's up?

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jun 20, 2013

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

E: oops, sorry for the double-post.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

I just upgraded to 14.04, and I have a question about apt-get. For some of my manually added PPAs I'm getting the 404 warning. For example the mercurial repository:

code:
W: Failed to fetch [url]http://ppa.launchpad.net/mercurial-ppa/releases/ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/binary-i386/Packages[/url]  404  Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

The usual solution to this issue is to get rid of the repositories, with the idea that they're no longer being maintained. But that's not the case; they just haven't made a Trusty repo yet. I don't want to remove them, because I want to get the Trusty updates as soon as they're available. If I remove them I'll have to check manually, now and again. So, is there a way to make apt use Saucy as a backup in these cases? I know I can use apt-pinning to make these packages default to Saucy, but then I won't be alerted when the Trusty repo is up, so back to checking manually. Is there a good solution to this?

Also, has anyone figured out how to hide the network indicator? My PC is always plugged into ethernet, I'd rather not have an extra indicator. I searched through gsettings but didn't see anything relevant.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Awesome, thanks, didn't think of that.

E: too bad it doesn't get rid of the warnings though.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

fuf posted:

I know there's the "Startup Applications" gui but I'd rather do it manually.

Not sure if this is actually the best way, but you can create a startup application manually by creating a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart.

• Locked thread