Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Longinus00 posted:

The Ctrl+Alt+Fx keyboard commands still work. If you crash and those stop working then try sysreq magic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I'm not sure how ShadowHawk is going to help you fix that wine bug unless he's also a wine contributer.

He is.

Also, when you drop to terminal you can just stop/restart the display manager. # service gdm restart or whatever it is in ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lysidas posted:

Well, btrfs saved my rear end yesterday. I'm running Kubuntu Quantal -- I reinstalled on my Lenovo X61 when the KDE 4.9 beta was part of the daily builds. I've been aptitude full-upgrade'ing regularly, and it looks like some recent updates broke Xorg (most likely the Intel and/or Vesa drivers; these were showing up with (EE) lines in Xorg.0.log). Newer daily live images have the same behavior on my system, and this might be related to the lack of a current i686/x86_64 image at http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/.

Luckily, I took a snapshot of my root filesystem a few days ago; all I had to do was
  1. boot from a working live image
  2. mount the root subvolume and cd to where I mounted it
  3. btrfs subvolume delete @
  4. btrfs subvolume snapshot snapshots/root@20120701-1221 @

At the moment I'm forcing the Xorg drivers to stay at their current version and attempting to install the other updates. Hopefully I'll have a working system after that, but if not it'll only take a few minutes to revert :)

EDIT: I have a usable system after keeping the old version of the Xorg drivers and upgrading everything else. It wouldn't be a development release if this kind of stuff didn't happen, and btrfs snapshots are tremendously useful as a safety net.

I like btrfs so that is cool, but could you not have just reversed the last apt upgrade?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

angrytech posted:

Youtube flash on my 12.04 system has some weird color inversion going on: blues are red and reds are blue kinda deal. I'd try fixing it, but videos just look so drat cool with crazy trippy colors. :3:

You can do what Zom Aur suggested, but you might also want to try the solution here:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/117127/flash-video-appears-blue

It worked for me, surprisingly.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Has any one managed to install 12.10 with disk encryption? When I tick the disk encryption box in the installer, I can't get past the next screen titled "Choose a security key". There are no dialog boxes to enter a key, and the Next button is not accessible.

edit: I had to manually delete the existing LUKS partitions on the disk before the installer worked.

other people fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Sep 7, 2012

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Ahhh. I have tried to install both 12.04 and 12.10 and they fail during the install with "grub-efi package failed to install into /target/" or something like that during the last leg of the installation. I have tried letting the installer use the entire disk and partition it as it likes and partitioning it myself.

It is a laptop, single 16gb sata ssd, using a usb stick as the install media.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Bob Morales posted:

They look really cool. If you don't have a 3D animated model or a Matrix-inspired screen saver, how are you going to look like real hacker?

Stop wasting energy :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Anyone else having issues installing fedora 19 with EUFI?

Also I'll admit I'm a bit of a dumbass with GUI stuff in linux, any way to make thumbnails show up like in windows on Centos/Fedora?

Do you want http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389159 ?

I am not sure how thunbnails look in Windows, but Nautilus (the gnome file browser) has an icon grid view and thumbnails should be on by default.

• Locked thread