Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I have a Dell XPS M1330 and I'm getting sick of how slow Windows 7 seems to run. It's only an intel core 2 duo with 1gb of ram but even opening a pdf or something takes a frustratingly long time.

Is it worth switching to Ubuntu if speed is my priority? I've used it before which is why I'm drawn to it, but maybe I should try a different distribution if ubuntu is not significantly faster than windows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks guys.

I think I'll try regular 12.04 and if it's slow I'll switch to Lubuntu.

Just made the mistake of using the "windows installer" to install Lubuntu without realising I wouldn't have any options to set up partitions etc.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Are there any good web development IDEs for ubuntu (lubuntu in my case if that makes a difference)?

Or even just a nice text editor with HTML and CSS highlighting?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How come empathy has a mail icon even though it doesn't seem to have anything to do with email? :confused:

Can I get it to check gmail and popup with new emails? I can't even find a settings menu anywhere.

(I also can't find the settings for the sidebar thing)

e: also I can't set empathy to 'invisible'? It switches straight back to 'busy'. Sorry, annoying questions.

fuf fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jul 28, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I gave Unity a good run - stuck with it for a good 3 or 4 months hoping it would click. Today I decided to try Gnome Shell, and it's crazy how much I prefer it. Switching windows / workspaces just works so well. I love it.

I have extra mouse buttons that I'd like to bind to "switch workspace up" and "switch workspace down", but I can't bind them in the keyboard shortcuts menu. How do I find out what these buttons are called, and which file do I need to edit to get them working as shortcuts?

Also, is there a way to get an app (terminator) to open fullscreen on a certain workspace at startup?

I have some other questions about hiding the status bar and so on, which I think would be solved with extensions, except https://extensions.gnome.org/ seems to be down. :(

Any other cool tips or methods for making my desktop usage more efficient?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
It's usually fairly straightforward. You can try it "live" before installing to check if it recognises all your hardware.

If you lived in the UK I would send you a DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Ubuntu doesn't remember my monitor positions so I have to run this command every boot:

code:
xrandr --output DVI-I-1 --pos 1280x0 --output DVI-I-2 --pos 0x0
Where can I put this so that it'll run every time automatically? I'd also like to run commands to mount drives etc.

I tried .gnomerc but it didn't work (I guess because it runs too early in the boot process or something)
I can't put it in .bashrc because then it'll run whenever I ssh in or open a new terminal (right?)

I know there's the "Startup Applications" gui but I'd rather do it manually.

I know there's something called "upstart", and I know I can use @reboot in Cron. Not sure which option would be best or if I should be doing it some other way.

• Locked thread