Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Aquila posted:

Does anyone know if a ubuntu 10.04 install will survive being move to a different system (like wholesale pulling os ssd out and droppig it in new box)? My main concern is that the new workstation is secure boot (efi? uefi?). Would be nice not to spend any time trying to get my work workstation setup again (I've have trouble with it before).

10.04 is old, and will be unsupported next year. I'd much rather put 14.04 on a new workstation, unless you have good reasons to use such old software.

Anyway, the biggest issue is likely to be drivers;
Does the old kernel you're using support the hardware in your new box?
If you have any proprietary GPU drivers, uninstall and go back to the most basic VESA mode before the move.

You can definitely disable secure boot by some means, but that's a separate thing to EFI; Go into the BIOS and check you're able to turn on "legacy booting" or similar.

If your new motherboard is EFI only I'd recommend a reinstall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

YouTuber posted:

Whats the most recommended way of upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04? Editing the sources.list and changing from precise to whatever 14.04 is called then apt-get dist-upgrade?

Seriously, read this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/110477/how-do-i-upgrade-to-a-newer-version-of-ubuntu

Even with those precautions, its rare for everything to work perfectly straight away due to the big version changes in some packages.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Sir_Substance posted:

Microsoft, trixy bastards that they are, have apparently gone out of their way to make sure there isn't a legacy mode on the surface, presumably so people couldn't wipe them and backdate them to windows 7.

EFI should be set up fine by the Ubuntu installer though. It's not a secureboot thing right?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

evol262 posted:

If you're installing Ubuntu this often, set up a local apt mirror and spin your own CD with a preseed (or PXE)

If you're installing Ubuntu that often then surely imaging it to the drive and running a setup script is 8000 times less hassle.

Or make an unattended install script that will run everything for you without interaction.

• Locked thread