Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
metalheart
Jul 16, 2013
Dr. Cat

She's reached her goal, but it's still my favorite.... And yes I donated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I kinda liked 'Born of Hope' and I'm a sucker for fantasy in general, so this looks p. cool to me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mythica/ren-a-brand-new-epic-fantasy-series

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

This guy Neil Dvorak is making an animation short 'Easy Pieces the Animation', that looks awesome so far.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/neildvorak/easy-pieces-the-animation

He's a friend of mine, and his work is pretty phenomenal. His illustration is based heavily on rotoscoping, and he does it well. Yeah I backed the hell outta this.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
This biographical comic about Ron van Clief looks pretty cool and has been popping up in my "look at what's close to you" suggestions. It's probably too niche for most nerds to care about but goddammit I want to read about a kung-fu klan-fighting black marine.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Jaimie Mantzel, the mad scientist who lives in a mountain fortress on his own mountain, the man who, with his own two hands and grotesquely huge, thrumming brain, built a geodesic dome with a trampoline for a floor, and is building a huge spider tank in a self-erected Quonset hut workshop, is making available somewhat smaller kit versions of his giant robot spider.

Jaimie's Spider Tank toys, called Attacknids, are radio controlled (2.4ghz), and are already on sale in the UK. This kit version has unique 'good guy' armor, while the retail version has 'bad guy' armor. There is no other way to get this special edition of the Attacknid.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1089105581/the-greatest-toy-kit-in-the-universe-spider-tank-m

The robot in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnNudWRSkDY

:v:

I backed this, and so should you! Yay robots! :3

John Fütbol
May 18, 2003

FUCKING GOOOOOOOAL IN PHRAGMATICS FYAD CONTEST
Jurassic Park: The Musical 3D!

You may have seen this version of the Jurassic Park Musical done by the Colonel Mustard Amateur Attic Theatre Company in Lincoln, Nebraska. Well, they're back with a bigger, even better version, in 3D!

I'm part of this show as various dinosaurs and other things, and I can attest to the hilarity that is contained within the script. And if you're in Lincoln or the surrounding areas, this is a great way to be sure you can get a ticket.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

FOIA Machine:

quote:

To make government accountable, people have to know the facts. But prying secrets out of Washington is hard. FOIA Machine can help.

Some of America’s top investigative reporters are building a sophisticated and open online platform to give people a legal way to get these secrets from the government. It’s called FOIA Machine, it's almost ready to launch and we need your help.

OFF Pocket:

quote:

The OFF Pocket™ is privacy accessory for mobile phones that blocks wireless signals.

To use the OFF Pocket simply place your phone inside the case and close it. Your phone is now OFF. Untrackable. Unhackable. Undistractable.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

$75 for a simple Faraday cage? (And that's the discounted 'early bird' price.) It seems like it should be $20.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
It's a good thing it blocks all that GPS signal you're transmitting

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Or you could just turn the phone off.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

goatface posted:

Or you could just turn the phone off.

Yeah but that doesn't prevent people from finding you when you get lost in the woods and/or murdered. This does.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re: the OFF Pocket, I'm mainly peeved I didn't think of it first. I've even used that material for a variety of things, and it's an idea/product people are obviously interested in paying for. :shobon:

For anyone into model rocketry, my cousin and a friend of his launched an indiegogo campaign for their Smart (and smartphone-enabled) Model Rocket launch console which they call MMC (Mobile Mission Control).

One of the stretch goals is a altimeter/accelerometer add-on which embeds to your nose cone, allowing your phone to collect data on altitude, speed, flight time, and so forth.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Mister Sinewave posted:

For anyone into model rocketry, my cousin and a friend of his launched an indiegogo campaign for their Smart (and smartphone-enabled) Model Rocket launch console which they call MMC (Mobile Mission Control).

One of the stretch goals is a altimeter/accelerometer add-on which embeds to your nose cone, allowing your phone to collect data on altitude, speed, flight time, and so forth.

Flex funding and stretch goals already? :qq:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Mister Sinewave posted:

This seems like something the FBI might be taking quite an interest in

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm dumb and don't really understand either of the last two posts :confused:

e: I maybe shouldn't open my yap because I don't actually have any inside info on why they chose the campaign type they did, but it looks like flexible was chosen as the funding type because the backer tiers that involve actual goods are doable in ones and twos. Unlike campaigns where e.g. you need 10k+ to cover making injection molds or something, and if you raise less than that you can't do it.

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 18:49 on Aug 6, 2013

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

This seems like something the FBI might be taking quite an interest in

Doubt it, bluetooth is too short range. There are better options for that sort of thing.

DancingPenguin
Nov 27, 2012

I ish kakadu.

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm dumb and don't really understand either of the last two posts :confused:

e: I maybe shouldn't open my yap because I don't actually have any inside info on why they chose the campaign type they did, but it looks like flexible was chosen as the funding type because the backer tiers that involve actual goods are doable in ones and twos. Unlike campaigns where e.g. you need 10k+ to cover making injection molds or something, and if you raise less than that you can't do it.

Oh alright, that might honestly be one of the few good reasons I've heard to have flexible funding.
You might want to talk to them, since I personally at least got the impression from "Production Plan" that it was funding or nothing.
I'm sorry if I sound rude, just want to warn you since most people never look twice if they see the flexible funding sign.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That makes sense, thanks for explaining.

Flexible funding having a sort of a stigma to it is a fair heads up, I'll pass that on for sure.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/82653245/druggies-and-bullies-beware-bullyproof

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/daveglass/lionel-richies-head-bestival-2013

If only I had the money to stay in it for a night :(

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/newscribbler/cinefex-classic-collection

Digitize a bunch of back issues of Cinefex magazine to put them in an iOS app. Not quite sure why they need funding for this as I'm sure they'll sell online fine, but some of the levels net a deal on themed sets of issues like "all Star Trek issues" or "all Star Wars issues ever."

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084824974/marshmallow-microcosm-2014

It's a silly calendar. Might as well have somthing other than what you pick up for free from the pile at the bank.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

neongrey posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2084824974/marshmallow-microcosm-2014

It's a silly calendar. Might as well have somthing other than what you pick up for free from the pile at the bank.
Glad to see I'm not the only Marshmallow Mayhem fan on the forums. I hope she makes her goal!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Help fund a campaign for DIRECT support of counter-poaching in Botswana

Funds are to help a fellow I know - a veteran of the CF (Canadian Forces) - promote and directly support anti poaching efforts in Botswana, Africa. As you read this, rhinos and elephants are being brutally killed by poachers. The last of the rhinos are in real danger.

"[During training] I met an officer from Botswana who told me about his missions in his own country stopping poachers. We stayed in touch and he constantly invites me to see these operations for myself. I intend to take his offer and not waste the tremendous opportunity to make a difference, and the opportunity to do something positive and constructive with my skill set."

:siren: Don't let your eyes glaze over just yet! :siren:

What makes this expedition different is that he is not some naive combat tourist. He is a soldier from a Commonwealth country visiting soldiers from another Commonwealth country. He intends to get over there and help out, and cut together a documentary on the situation in Botswana, and see to it that these guys risking their lives get some recognition. (Well, as much as is feasible, the anti poaching operators are very security conscious about having their identity spread around.)

:siren: Anti poaching is not about putting the needs of animals above human beings. The poachers are motivated by greed. They are basically invading armed bandit gangs that consume everything of value and wreck or destroy everything else. Countries like Botswana have stable, growing economies. They are aware that their current resources are finite and that their future is eco tourism, a future that can't happen if the bush is unsafe due to assholes rolling in to violently poach rhinos and elephants to extinction to sell their horns and tusks on the Asian black market to make penis medicine. Your contributions will go towards awareness via a documentary, and directly into the hands of the anti poacher units.

e: As usual every bit helps; any contribution amount - no matter how big or small - gets you emailed updates and news on the campaign through indiegogo so you can follow along if you're at all interested.

The Eyes Have It has a new favorite as of 19:37 on Aug 8, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mister Sinewave posted:

Help fund a campaign for DIRECT support of counter-poaching in Botswana

Funds are to help a fellow I know - a veteran of the CF (Canadian Forces) - promote and directly support anti poaching efforts in Botswana, Africa. As you read this, rhinos and elephants are being brutally killed by poachers. The last of the rhinos are in real danger.

Yeah, this is a good cause that deserves supporting. I'd also like to submit this: Experience World War I through a German officer's photos for anyone wanting an up close look at history.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

Yea poaching is bad...but he is using the $$ to buy a camera, sound equipment, editing software...so he has absolutely no experience making a film? It seems really ambitious to make a $20k documentary in a foreign country, around dangerous people, using equipment you've never used before.

BuddyChrist
Apr 29, 2008
:siren: My Friends Post :siren:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arakus/aeterno-elementum-a-heavy-metal-opera-november-201

Some guys I know have a heavy metal band Ara'Kus, and they perform a heavy metal opera in which several friends of mine play parts.

I'll let them speak for themselves:
Aeterno Elementum is the story of a world brought low by the cruelty and darkness of the men who stalk it and its cataclysmic death and ultimately…its rebirth. Part opera, part play, Aeterno Elementum tells its story through the powerful soliloquies of the actors, choreographed fight scenes between knights wielding authentic weapons and armor, and through the performances of several talented fire dancers and aerialists. Most of all, Aeterno Elementum is told through the original Heavy Metal music composed by Jeremiah Johnson which runs the range from exhilarating to forbidding and tragic to romantic, with lyrics that will both inspire and haunt.

They put on a good show and could use the capital to improve on the performance.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The creator of Mega Man is making a game that's totally not Mega Man.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

You can't make this poo poo up, Kickstarter Canada has been open less than a day and one of the first projects up is a goddamn engineered hockey stick :canada:

I'm not even American, and I still find that hilarious.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

NTRabbit posted:

You can't make this poo poo up, Kickstarter Canada has been open less than a day and one of the first projects up is a goddamn engineered hockey stick :canada:

I'm not even American, and I still find that hilarious.

Is it also a wallet?

Joe Der Maus
Mar 19, 2007

mouseketeerous rex
I write short films in my free time and let whoever wants to use them do so free of charge. A couple days ago, a friend of mine launched an Indiegogo campaign to raise funding for one.
I'm excited because I think this is one of the best scripts I've written and the director is a very talented person.
The film is called "The Solipsist" and it's about a guy who whenever he falls asleep, he wakes up and the details of his life have changed and he is the only one who notices this.
The page is located at http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-solipsist/x/131620

We have a short video we made on the page. The first part is a thematic representation of the film (although not taken directly from any part of the script) and the second half is the standard pitch thing featuring the director and myself talking about the film. (with off camera commentary from our dolly grip)

Further down the page there are a number of short films, trailers and reels which the members of the team have worked on, if you would like to see more examples of our work.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thats a really cool premise :ohdear:

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
LoadingReadyRun, a Canadian sketch comedy troupe that've been going since before YouTube, have put up a Kickstarter to fund one last season of sketches. In order to focus on some of their other projects (such as Desert Bus, or PA's Strip Search), they decided to cut the regular sketches. This just sends them out with a bang.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Remember River City Ransom? They're trying to make a sequel.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

"Wait.... Only PS4 and vita? Way to alienate your Xbox1 base. I'm really tempted to pull my backing and give it to Mighty #9 now."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My brother and I have a kickstarter for these modern art designer clocks called 'Time As Moments'

The artsy angle is that each number on the clock's dial becomes clearly defined only once each hour before becoming once again unclear. The design reflects and highlights that not only is time made of individual moments, but also that those moments are fleeting, and meaningful only in the right context.

Here's a sped-up animation of what the clock's hands look like when in action. (No movement of the hands is perceptible to the eye during normal use.) As you can see, it's perfectly possible to read the clock to tell time even when it's not at the top of the hour with a lined-up numeral.

The Kickstarter is here: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819289570/time-as-moments-designer-clock

We have a low goal because very nearly everything is already lined up and figured out. We just need enough backers to commit for a small production run. Kits (for you DIY'ers) and also finished clocks are available in time for Christmas if that's your thing :sun:

We also just counted up all our on-hand materials that we were using for prototypes and samples - we have enough materials on-hand to offer a very limited SHOP SPECIAL reward tier as a result. We've already paid for the materials and don't need to do any more testing, so might as well use them to offer a special reward tier!

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Thats a pretty cool clock thing man

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Hey, thanks! My brother did the design, I'm doing the "getting it made" part.

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax
Here is The Long Dark http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hinterlandgames/the-long-dark-a-first-person-post-disaster-surviva. I worked with one of the founders for quite a few years, and everyone on the team is "decade or more" game developer veterans. The game is basically about scary poo poo in the Canadian north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Holy poo poo, I know this won't mean anything to anyone but me but I was looking the project over thinking how interesting the idea seemed when I surprise run across one name I knew and then bang there's another guy I worked with. Small world!

Thanks for the link!

• Locked thread