Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

This thread is to discuss awesome competitions in the Americas such as:

Copa Libertadores
Copa Sudamericana
Argentine League
Brazilian League

And whatever else comes up regarding Central and South America.

What about the Northerners?

They have their own threads and if you care you read all of them so this is a stupid question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

What is it?

quote:

The Copa Santander Libertadores de América, known simply as the Copa Libertadores is an annual international club football competition organized by CONMEBOL since 1960. It is the most prestigious club competition in South American football and one of the most watched events in the world, broadcast in 135 nations worldwide. The tournament is named in honor of the Libertadores (Portuguese and Spanish for Liberators), the main leaders of the South American wars of independence, so a literal translation of its name into English would be the "Santander Liberators of America Cup".

Who's playing?

What's going on right now?

We're on the knockout stages, halfway through the round of 16:

Why should I watch?

Because it's awesome, you usually see fantastic games and crazy stuff like seeing lovable minnows such as Ecuador's Emelec eliminating giants Flamengo by beating them 3-2 on the last matchday of the group stages. This is my favorite moment so far but this cup is full of those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saTHVZnUWhY

So come to the lands where football is still alive and continental cups are not predetermined!

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 3, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Love me some Brasileiro. Not only do clubs compete at the national level, but at the state level. They also have awesome teams like Ponte Preta. Take that, Racism.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
One of the greatest moments in this Libertadores
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZX3NNE4338
plus Bambino Pons

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 3, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hecko posted:

One of the greatest moments in this Libertadores
plus Bambino Pons

Ah yeah I was wrong up there, this is when Emelec went through, still, the Flamengo game is where I started liking them.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
So all the mexican teams been eliminated of the Libertadores already?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Cruz Azul are still in

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Lanus probably disappointed to only have scored 1 against Vasco. They had some great opportunities that they totally wasted. I think it was Reguiero who skyed it over the bar with the goalkeeper caught out of position.

That second goal from Diego Souza...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXY2IGw26R8

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Reposting this here, even though it wasn't 100% deliberate the first Boca goal was very good looking with all the one-touch moves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJ-bzId-I4

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Vasco da Gama are really entertaining to watch, I remember a game last year that ended something crazy like 8-3 against a bolivian team

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

This one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SahoJCqkfdU

That first goal owns so much

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
On the topic of South American continental competition, the Copa America has some footage from the recent tournaments up on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/CopaAmerica

They streamed all the matches at the 2011 Copa America on youtube and it was loving awesome. I hope they do it again for the next one (Chile 2015).

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Watching Universidad and Deportivo Quito and the first half is wrapping up. Some of the lights blew out in the stadium and they weren't playing for awhile, then it got a little edgy with some petty fouls, then it opened up. Quito had a great counter attacking goal, then Universidad pegged them back (Sweet goal by Matias Rodriguez), a Quito player got sent off for a second yellow, then Quito tried to dive to win a penalty but the ref waived it away, then in the 44th minute they took a corner quickly and got a head to it. Quito are super desperate out there. 2nd half will be interesting if Universidad can get another goal.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 4, 2012

a real peso shit
Jun 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 196 days!
Excellent thread Drogadon. While I'm here I'd like to point out that the top Mexican teams don't play in the Libertadores as they have to play in the CONCA-CHAMPIONS.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Deportivo just got another goal and Universidad is crumbling. They just got one of their players sent off for 2 yellows. 10 v 10 now with Quito in control.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Just tune it to see a Deportivo Quito player get owned by a ball in the face. That's gotta hurt

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
He probably had it coming. Quito were... uhh... creative with their gamesmanship. I guess they had to be since they got a man sent off with 60 something minutes left, but they were doing it since kick off. Here are some highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtSf7y5fLpw

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Wow, I expected U to win this. I was out and didn't have a chance to watch it but U were awesome in the other cup and I didn't imagine they would crumble now. The magic of the cup I guess...

Brandy Alexander posted:

Excellent thread Drogadon. While I'm here I'd like to point out that the top Mexican teams don't play in the Libertadores as they have to play in the CONCA-CHAMPIONS.

Thanks. Is it true that the Mexican teams don't want to play the libertadores anymore? Or maybe it was the league that doesn't want it.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

I am the only one enjoying la U loosing 4-1 ?
Yes, Yes I am :D

Anyways after La U beat colo-colo 5-0 (I am still crying over this) I think sampaoli didn't get his players over to Ecuador in time for them to get used to the elevation. Seriously it's 2,850 m above sea level while Santiago is 520m above sea level.

Wait to the return game. If La U can hold out to a 3-0 win (which I know they can do) they will proceed to the next round of Copa Libertadores.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Brandy Alexander posted:

They use too, but then changed in 2008/09 it's same as Copa Sudamericana. I know this because pachuca won it in 2006 (I'm not bitter about this I swear)

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 4, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Libertadores tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday.

Velez Sarsfield (Argentina) host Atletico Nacional (Colombia). Velez is 1-0 up with an away goal and they're probably going through. They play at 7PM EDT.

Libertad (Paraguay) host Cruz Azul (Mexico). Their game went 1-1 when it was back in Mexico. The bookmakers have Libertad as pretty firm favorites. This game's at 9:30PM EDT.

If you can only watch one match tonight, as a neutral, I'd probably pick Libertad v. Cruz Azul, but that poo poo is late as hell Euro time. Like 1AM?

The big games are tomorrow.

Boca Juniors (Argentina) go to Chile and play Union Espanola with Boca currently up 2-1. They play at 6:30PM EDT and this game will be awesome.

Corinthians (Brazil) host underdogs Emelec (Ecuador) with the scores tied at 0-0. Corinthians will probably roll them, as they have a pretty good home record so far this year, but Emelec have been the upset team this year. They play at 9PM EDT.

Return leg of the Lanus (Argentina) v. Vasco (Brazil) game. Vasco currently 2-1 up, but Lanus got the important away goal. This game's also at 9PM EDT.

Watch the Boca game. It'll be cool. I swear. I'll post some equally unimpressive previews for Thursday's matches tomorrow.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Primera División Argentina , Torneo Clausura.
Current standings

Boca Juniors got a last minute goal to tie their match against Atletico Rafaela and remained on top of the league.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui3FG3HTXrI
But the real fun is in the relegation struggle

With Tigre managing to be second in both tables. They could end being champions and still getting relegated (I think in that case the champion gets to stay in primera).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Watch the Boca game. It'll be cool. I swear. I'll post some equally unimpressive previews for Thursday's matches tomorrow.

The first leg was brilliant, Union Española played very well at La Bombonera and showed they're no pushovers against an in-form Boca. It will definitely be awesome.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Cruz Azul lost 2-0. They put a lot into the game, but Libertad were just better. Libertad were super fast and moved the ball well while Cruz kept giving the ball away sloppily and wasting opportunities. That being said, both of the goals Cruz conceded were from free kicks whipped into unmarked players. Basically gifted them two free headers. A Cruz defender made a ridiculous flying scissor kick save, though, which is always a positive to take away from getting dumped out of a continental competition.

The Velez v. Atleti Nacional game ended 1-1 with Velez advancing. I didn't watch the game, but I caught the highlights. loving awesome free kick from Nacional:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1iE2cV22Uk

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Dude you gotta crosspost that to the goals thread, awesome kick!

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

hecko posted:

With Tigre managing to be second in both tables. They could end being champions and still getting relegated (I think in that case the champion gets to stay in primera).

Wow, only in Argentina! Between this and all the River Plate poo poo from awhile back, it seems like their league is hardly ever dull.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Dude you gotta crosspost that to the goals thread, awesome kick!

No joke. Mosquera took no run up. Ridiculous pace on that ball from just one step.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That's a brilliant free kick, I can't remember the last time I saw something like that.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Great goal by Riquelme there.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Riquelme is just cool as gently caress. This game delivered in every respect.

3-2 Boca, for the most part they outplayed Espanola but the Chilean team had a resurge after Boca scored their second. Was end to end for awhile, Boca scored their third and then Espanola answered with a rebounded penalty. Highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lG6A0CAmBE

Boca is looking drat good this year. Turning on the style at just the right time in the tournament, too.

Corinthians walked all over Emelec, 3-0. They pretty much strolled through the game. Even though they put three past them, I wish I had watched the Lanus/Vasco game instead. Vasco went 1-0 up then went on to concede 2 goals. Since there's no extra time in this stage, the game went to penalties. Lanus missed their second and consequently lost. The first goal by Nilton was a nice shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ7q5xB_YNM

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 10, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Bolivar @ Santos is the early game tomorrow (6:30PM EDT). Internacional @ Fluminese and Deportivo Quito @ Universidad de Chile are the late games (9PM EDT). I'm definitely watching the Santos game and I'll probably end up watching the Universidad game. Got a feeling that the first goal in the All Brazil game will decide that tie.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
I have to admit, I'm a bit of a bandwagon Santos supporter. I figure if I start watching them I'll be able to follow Neymar, Ganso and the likes from little tikes to superstars.

yay

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

drat this trip, I knew that Boca game would own and missed it.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD
Santos is winning 8-0 in the 60th minute :stare:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Like 6 different ESPNs and no football at all. America blows.

How many has Neymar scored?

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I got DirecTV when I moved to a new house and don't have Fox en Español because I didn't buy the stupid Spanish package full of Mexican poo poo.

gently caress YOU DIRECTV, I'M MISSING THE LIBERTADORES.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

La u is winning 2-0 over Deportivo Quito

EDIT: 3-0 now and it's the 37 minute.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
^^^^^Oh, cmon!
U de Chile is loving killing Deportivo Quito. 3-0 at 38 mins.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Ha! so it is very likely that they were ill prepared for the altitude on the first leg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

^^^^^Oh, cmon!
U de Chile is loving killing Deportivo Quito. 3-0 at 38 mins.

Remember La U need another 2 goals to make sure they are going through to the next round.