Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
But if it ends 3-0 la U goes through on away goals, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

But if it ends 3-0 la U goes through on away goals, right?

I think it's extra time then pen shootout. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_Libertadores#Rules

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

http://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regla_del_gol_de_visitante
According to that link, the U goes through.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

http://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regla_del_gol_de_visitante
According to that link, the U goes through.

Yeah that makes more sense.

4-0 now :|

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 11, 2012

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Haha, nice rabona! Junior Fernandez is great.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Welp, 5-0 now.

Edit: make it 6.
By the way, gently caress Internacional.

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 11, 2012

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

Welp, 5-0 now.

6-0 now lol

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I have to say, if Dep. Quito were an Uruguayan team, this match would end in a huge fist fight.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

lol so it's safe to say that La U is still the good team that won the other cup or is Dep Quito really that bad?

Polidoro posted:

By the way, gently caress Internacional.

Why?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Because Gremio.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

I really hope we end up with a La U vs Santos final.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

dj_pain posted:

I really hope we end up with a Boca vs Santos final.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

dj_pain posted:

I really hope we end up with a Boca vs Emelec final after a brilliant Boca vs U semifinal and a ridiculous upset in the other semifinal Emelec vs Santos.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

hecko posted:

No la U Vs Boca, Just so Boca can beat la U.

EDIT: This is what the next round of games look like

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 11, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

poo poo, Emelec are already out, there goes my dark horse underdog :(

Boca

U

Don't care

Don't care

Boca vrs U will be awesome

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 11, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Universidad de Chile played really good but I think Dep. Quito had the wrong strategy for the game. Instead of defending with 10 men inside the box they should pressured the locals in the midfield and challenge the possession of the ball.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I just saw a Neymar vs Bolivar comp, and I hope Neymar slips in the shower and breaks every bone in his body. Doing all kinds of tricks when you are winning 6-0 is a lovely thing to do.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Yeah, the young crew at Santos still hasn't matured at all. Still have a little bit of that petulant/bratty streak that made them look like assholes two seasons back. They played amazingly, though. Made Bolivar look amateur. Was pulling for a Bolivar win, though.

dj_pain called that Universidad game. Deportivo were terrible, especially their keeper. Two different U teams in the first leg and the second leg. Deportivo ran all over them in the first leg, but couldn't even touch the ball against U in Chile.

Would like to see Vasco and Boca in the final.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Polidoro posted:

I just saw a Neymar vs Bolivar comp, and I hope Neymar slips in the shower and breaks every bone in his body. Doing all kinds of tricks when you are winning 6-0 is a lovely thing to do.

Would love to see him play against and Argie team and physically abused by some dude that looks like Cata Diaz' younger, mentally slower brother.

Cjones
Jul 4, 2008

Democracia Socrates, MD

Weaponized Cum posted:

Would love to see him play against and Argie team and physically abused by some dude that looks like Cata Diaz' younger, mentally slower brother.

Somebody find that video of Robinho and gang doing all sorts of fancy tricks in Brazil only to have somebody come in after the whistle to kick his legs in.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

In last year finals against Penarol he didn't pull any fancy poo poo. In fact, he went studs up against a Penarol player and injured him. He didn't do poo poo in Copa America either iirc.

Sadly, with the current refereeing situation in South America, the only team who could gently caress Neymar up and not get every player expelled is Boca, and I'd rather see Neymar being an idiot than Boca winning something.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Any idea what channel these games are on in America, if any? I'd love to catch some of these matches on TV and maybe convince bartenders to put them on.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

No idea, maybe some Mexican channel. But Mexicans don't really care about the Libertadores so I dunno.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Fox Deportes is the best channel for the US. Here's a list for all other countries.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vinestalk posted:

Fox Deportes is the best channel for the US. Here's a list for all other countries.

Oh nice, I'll have to start tuning in. Thank you.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Vinestalk posted:

The good thing is that since Mexican teams are out the announcers are Argentinian... biased as gently caress but at least they know what they're talking about.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Argentinean announcers only know about their teams and make a lot of stuff up about the rivals. They are so biased that a lot of people started complaining and now when Chilean teams play, the announcers are from Chile. Uruguayan people complained too but nobody cared :smith:

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
We're a week away from the start of the National Brazilian League (Brasileiro Campeonato, Serie A). So I figured I'd write up an effort OP in case anyone was interested.

History

The league football history in Brazil is a total clusterfuck.

For the longest time, there was no national league in Brazil. Teams just competed on the state or city level, with the competitions in Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo being considered the most important. In the '60s and '70s, there were national cup tournaments, but still no league. A form of the Campeonato was started in 1971 once there was travel infrastructure to support it, but it used a weird format used by one of the old national cup tournaments (Involving two groups, the top two from each qualifying for a round robin tourney, and the best club of the tourney being crowned champions). This weird system was protested on a couple occasions and led to even crazier things...

In 1987, the CBF (Brazilian Football Association) gave up on making a national club competition. So, 13 clubs decided to form their own non-association competition. FIFA threatened to sanction the CBF, so the CBF decided they'd half rear end it and just make another league out of the rest of the teams that weren't in the other league. And since the CBF was half assing it, they decided the champion of the other league might as well be recognized, too. Thus creating two national club champions (One from the 13 Clubs, another from the Brazil Association) in 1987.

Hilarity continued to ensue when the CBF basically changed the rules of the league every year until 2003 (You can read a full history of the Campeonato league changes here). Now the Campeonato acts like a normal league, with 20 participants playing every other club home and away. 4 teams get relegated, the top 3 teams qualify for the 2nd stage of Copa Libertadores, 4th and 5th qualify for the 1st stage of Copa Libertadores, 6th through 14th qualify for Copa Sudamerica, and the winner of the Copa do Brasil qualifies for the 2nd stage of Copa Libertadores.

The most winning teams in Serie A history (Since 1971) are Flamengo and Sao Paulo FC, both with 6 titles. One of those titles for Flamengo is their 1987 non-association title. Going further back, Santos and Palmeiras are considered champions of Brazil 8 times each. Last year's champions were Corinthians who finished two points clear of Vasco de Gama (Vasco had a great chance to steal the title on the last day, but drew 1-1 with local rivals Flamengo). Here's last year's table:

Who's competing?

The majority of the clubs come from the south and/or east. The city of Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro are both fielding 4 teams each, with the state of Sao Paulo fielding a total of 6 clubs. Here's a run down of some of interesting clubs...

Botafago, one of the big Rio clubs, have a pretty rich history. Part of that history is that they actually started as a rowing club and basically absorbed local football clubs. They've also had some incredible players come through their doors. The three big ones are Nilton Santos, Garrincha, and Jairzinho (And technically Socrates, but he's more of a Corinthians guy). Nowadays they're dependent on 35 year old journeyman Sebastian Abreu and a 22 year old ball girl.

Corinthians, one of the big Sao Paulo clubs, is the club you can blame for the existence of Kia Joorabchian. Corinthians were managed really poorly in the early 2000s and were looking like they would collapse without significant investment. Along comes Kia, who managed to help his company (MSI) get control of the club for 10 years in exchange for players and money. Obviously, this included Carlos Tevez and Javier Mascherano. After they got relegated and Kia couldn't suck anymore out of the club, Corinthians started making their comback. Funnily enough, they did this in spite of making terrible decisions like signing Ronaldo (Yes, fat Ronaldo) in 2009 and Adriano (Yes, fat Adriano) in 2011. They're now the champions of Brazil and one of the favorites at the Copa Libertadores.

Corinthians also have a history of great players, though. Rivellino, Socrates, and Gilmar all played the majority of their career for the club. They also won the first Club World Cup, but no one really cares about that.

Coritiba, the biggest club in Curitiba (No, that's not a typo), are a mid-table side. They're famous for having a 24 match winning streak that no one cared about (Because they aren't from Rio or Sao Paulo) and for having a mascot that is literally an old man. Literally. His name is Grandpa Coxa.

Cruzeiro are a bad rear end club. Along with Mineiro, they're one of the big clubs out of Belo Horizonte. But, more importantly, they're a non-profit club that employs the socio setup for it's membership. They're the only club to have won the domestic treble (National title, Copa do Brasil, State title). They've also got a poo poo load of Continental trophies, including a bunch of defunct tournament trophies from when CONMEBOL was still trying to get it's poo poo together.

A bunch of talented modern players got their start or made their big break at Cruzeiro. Maxwell, Juliano Belletti, Ramires, Cris, Dida, HuereLOL Gomes, worthless seal dribbling Kerlon... But, most famously, Cruzeiro is where Ronaldo began his professional career and it's where Tostao spent the majority of his career.

Flamengo are another one of the Rio power clubs. They also started as a rowing club and decided that was too boring for them back in 1911. What makes it interesting, though, is that local football team Fluminense had a dispute with their players, who thought Flamengo needed their services more. Thus began 100 years of pure contempt.

Flamengo's also famous for producing some incredible players, the best known being Zico and Junior. You can now see former European stars Ronaldinho and Vagner Lover (Okay, calling him a star is pretty generous) play for Flamengo. Also, Kleberson (:lol:).

Fluminense is the other half of that big Fla-Flu derby and another on of those big Rio clubs. Their famous for giving another team half their squad and then being mad about it. They're also a club with a long history of being associated with rich bastards (And, historically speaking, those rich bastards were pretty racist in the early- to mid-20th centruy). Flu also has a pretty crazy roller coaster history of relegations and championships. In recent times, they were in the finals of the Libertadores in 2007 and then managed to be on the brink of relegation in 2009 and then winning the Serie A title in 2010. You can now see European wash up Fred and aging playmaker Deco playing for Flu.

Gremio were one of the first big clubs to not be from Sao Paulo or Rio. Playing out of Porto Alegre, they also did crazy things like beat the Uruguayan national team back in 1911 and tour the world from 1932 to 1961. They've had weird mixed success in the modern era, but haven't really won that many trophies, other than totally dominating their state tournament.

Gremio has produced some talented players, though. Ronaldinho and Emerson both got their starts at the club. As did Lucas Leiva (talented) and Anderson ("talented"). You can currently watch Gilberto Silva play for Gremio.

Internacional is the only other big team from Porto Alegre. They formed because a couple of bros weren't allowed to play for Gremio because those bros weren't of German ancestry. Thus the name Internacional, a club for people of every nation. There's a mild derby between them and Gremio. In recent history, they've been one of the more successful clubs in continental tournaments, but haven't won a national cup (since 1992) or a national title (1979) for quite awhile.

Former Brazilian coach Dunga, AC Milan striker Pato, and star of "one of the best teams to never win a world," cup Falcao all got their start at Internacional.

Palmeiras is one of the big four in Sao Paulo. both Palmeiras and Cruzeiro share this thing where their club name was based on their Italian history (Both clubs being founded by Italian immigrants). During WW2, the Brazilian government wasn't fond of any association with Axis countries, so they ordered Palmeiras and Cruzeiro to change thier names. Palmerias was reluctant and they were close to losing all their assets and players to local rivals, with one local rival in particular laying claim to some hefty assets (Sao Paulo FC). Palmeiras wised up and changed their name, just in time for a local derby with Sao Paulo FC. Thus, another Brazilian derby is born. Palmeiras used to be a pretty successful club domestically, but not so much anymore.

Santos FC is the biggest club from their home city of Santos and the club of Pele. 80km from Sao Paulo, they're the big non-local rival to everybody, largely because of their massive amounts of history. Pele ring a bell? They won shed loads of trophies under their series of golden generations, including 5 domestic doubles and 2 continental doubles. On top of all the titles they've won, they've produced a bunch of players. Alex, Robinho, Deivid, and Diego are some of the more recent European names. More recently it's been the likes of Neymar and Paulo Henrique (Ganso). Did I mention Pele?

Sao Paulo FC, obviously based out of Sao Paulo, have been relatively successful in the modern era. They came off a great run when they won back-to-back-to-back Serie A championships from 2006-2008. They were also incredibly successful in international tournaments, with 8 continental trophies and the Club World Cup. Currently you can watch ex-Sevilla striker Luis Fabiano and Arsenal wash up Denilson putz around for Sao Paulo as they sit mid-table. But more importantly, you can watch Rogerio Ceni.

Vasco de Gama is the last of the big clubs from Rio. They were recently relegated for the first time in 110 years only to bounce back into Serie A (Finishing 2 points behind Corinthians) and win the Copa do Brasil. They're also pretty proud of their basketball. You can watch Juninho Pernambucano glare at the rest of his team and barely contain his rage every time you watch Vasco.

This is great info but what games should I watch...?

Derbies in Brazil are insane. There's a shitload of animosity between the local rivals, with a lot of it having to do with socio-economic issues.

Belo Horizonte Derby, Atletico Mineiro vs. Cruzeiro
Classico dos Classicos, elitist and historically racist Nautico vs. working class Sport Club do Recife
The Fla-Flu Derby, Flamengo and Fluminense
Clássico_dos_Milhões ("The Classic of Millions,"), Vasco vs. Flamengo
The Grandpa Derby, Botafogo vs. Fluminense (supposedly the oldest derby in Brazil)
The Gre-Nal, a fun little sporting game of foot between Gremio and Internacional
The Majestic Classic (I think this name is meant to be ironic), Sao Paulo vs. Corinthians
The King Shock, Sao Paulo vs. Palmeiras

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Fantastic post, thanks!

Also Brazilian ultras are insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSez2SFqmdw

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Yeah, super post Vinestalk, thanks so much for the effort.

Topical to this thread, I've been slowly working my way through Futebol: The Brazilian Way. It covers the history by distinct chapters that tend to cover individual players across different eras, it's a cool format. For example, the first chapter covers the scattering of Brazilian players across the smaller leagues of Europe by following the first 4 Brazilian players to play in the Faroe Islands league, how they have to work in local industry to make ends meet, etc.

Good book, worth checking out if you get the chance.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Great post Vinestalk. I think one of the best things about the Brazilian league is it's relative instability in terms of "big teams" compared to the European leagues. I remember not that long ago that Flamengo was close to being relegated, and if Im remembering right there was a time that Fluminense were in the third division. My wife's family are all Flamengo supporters so I shamelessly throw my plastic hat in for them.

Adriano was only recently released by Corinthians, mostly for being a fat piece of poo poo who didn't care. What a waste.

I don't know if there's any truth to it, but a lot of Milan speculators are thinking that Seedorf is going to go to Brazil next year. There were supposed negotiations going on with Botafogo, but that rumor's disappeared. It'd be cool to see him in a league that's so vastly different from the Italian Serie A.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yeah, the instability is awesome, it also enables the ocassional small team to show up and do some damage then disappear. You guys remember Paysandu?

quote:

Paysandu Sport Club is a Brazilian football club located in Belém, Pará. Paysandu is also known as Papão da Curuzu (or simply Papão, which means Bogeyman in Portuguese) because it won several titles in the 1940s and Curuzu from the name of the street where Paysandu's stadium sits.

Paysandu is a club in Northern Brazil, having won 43 State Leagues, 1 Regional League (Copa Norte in 2002) and 3 national titles (Brazilian League Second Division in 1991 and 2001 and the Brazilian Champions' Cup in 2002).

Paysandu attracted the world's attention in 2003 after the campaign in the Copa Libertadores, beating several traditional South American teams such as Cerro Porteño and Boca Juniors (at La Bombonera).

However, they have recently fallen on hard times, suffering successive relegations in 2005 and 2006. They will play in the country's third level, Série C, in 2007.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQZuIHSX7Xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2r5hfcB5s

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Also in case you have absolutely nothing better to do, tonight is the first leg of the Costa Rican league Clausura final between Herediano and Santos de Guapiles.

http://www.repretel.com/envivo

Click on the "en vivo" button for channel 6. They're playing now, 18th minute 0-0

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Thanks, fellow Southies. :respek:

That book looks awesome. Going to keep my eye out for it.

Would be interesting to see Seedorf play in Brazil. Botafogo are pretty desperate for someone who can lead them and anyone who can score from midfield. That being said, if his intention is to play to win championships, I don't think Botafogo is the club for him.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Why would Botafogo want a leader when they have Loco Abreuhahahahahaha. Seriously somebody please kill Abreu.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

trem_two posted:

Yeah, super post Vinestalk, thanks so much for the effort.

Topical to this thread, I've been slowly working my way through Futebol: The Brazilian Way. It covers the history by distinct chapters that tend to cover individual players across different eras, it's a cool format. For example, the first chapter covers the scattering of Brazilian players across the smaller leagues of Europe by following the first 4 Brazilian players to play in the Faroe Islands league, how they have to work in local industry to make ends meet, etc.

Good book, worth checking out if you get the chance.

That book should be a lot better than it is, tbh. Like, there's so little about Brazilian club culture or tactical history, and so much about some random amateur tournaments in the Amazon and Brazilian footballers in the Faroes or Finland; it's less a book about Brazilian football and more a book about global football through Brazil as a prism. Pretty good at that, but it lacks an interesting connecting narrative.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
New Libertadores matches Wednesday and Thursday. Quarter Finals kick off with Universidad @ Libertad (6:30PM EDT) and then Corinthians @ Vasco (8:50PM EDT).

Universidad are favorites, despite playing away from home. The Brazilian tie is a little more split. The last 10 games in Rio have gone 4-2-4 with Vasco having conceded 12 goals in their last 10 home games. My money's on a draw (figurative money, not literal).

Thursday has Fluminense @ Boca (6:45PM EDT) and Santos @ Velez (9:00PM EDT).

Definitely like Boca at home, but their biggest priority should be keeping a clean sheet. The Santos game should be interesting, since their away form has been mixed. My guess is they'll walk through this game then turn it on for the home leg like they did against Bolivar.

If you can only watch one game this week? Boca. Should be a good game, especially if Flu can pick up an early goal.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

New Libertadores matches Wednesday and Thursday. Quarter Finals kick off with Universidad @ Libertad (6:30PM EDT) and then Corinthians @ Vasco (8:50PM EDT).

Universidad are favorites, despite playing away from home. The Brazilian tie is a little more split. The last 10 games in Rio have gone 4-2-4 with Vasco having conceded 12 goals in their last 10 home games. My money's on a draw (figurative money, not literal).

Thursday has Fluminense @ Boca (6:45PM EDT) and Santos @ Velez (9:00PM EDT).

Definitely like Boca at home, but their biggest priority should be keeping a clean sheet. The Santos game should be interesting, since their away form has been mixed. My guess is they'll walk through this game then turn it on for the home leg like they did against Bolivar.

If you can only watch one game this week? Boca. Should be a good game, especially if Flu can pick up an early goal.

I really want to watch the Boca game but work :( (In australia all these games are played around 10 AM, so it's either skip work or try to watch it while i'm working)

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Polidoro posted:

In last year finals against Penarol he didn't pull any fancy poo poo. In fact, he went studs up against a Penarol player and injured him.

Injured the guy that was keeping him at bay :cry:
I hate you Neymar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Drogadon posted:

Yeah, the instability is awesome, it also enables the ocassional small team to show up and do some damage then disappear. You guys remember Paysandu?

In Paysandu news, they made it to the Round of 16 in the Copa do Brasil. They beat Serie A team Sport Club do Recife along the way, so they still have a little bit of their magic. But they lost 5-1 on aggregate to Coritiba :(