Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Oh Em Gee posted:

How can Uruguay be so poo poo yet have such a great attack, surely they could just play Cavani and Suarez up top, play Forlan in the hole behind them and just three poo poo-cloggers to press and win the ball back for Diego.

Thats what we try to do most of the time but Forlan was terrible yesterday and Cavani has never played a good game for us. He's loving terrible with the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

Thats what we try to do most of the time but Forlan was terrible yesterday and Cavani has never played a good game for us. He's loving terrible with the ball.

see this is the problem with Uruguay is that they will struggle in qualifying but take them to a tournament (copa america or the world cup) they will pull together and go all out.

I wish they end up coming 5th and have to play Australia to qualify (just so the Australian media can go crazy over this)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Meanwhile in Copa Argentina:

Boca drew 1-1 with Merlo and beat them 5-4 in penalties.

Later River drew 0-0 with Racing and then lost 5-4 in penalties.

Boca fans rejoiced, lots of images making fun of River appeared all over the internet and I thought this one was pretty funny:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

River is really sad, I hope they get promoted and recover just because I hate Boca.

dj_pain posted:

see this is the problem with Uruguay is that they will struggle in qualifying but take them to a tournament (copa america or the world cup) they will pull together and go all out.

I wish they end up coming 5th and have to play Australia to qualify (just so the Australian media can go crazy over this)

Not Australia again, if we keep playing them it will en in a war between us and the 20 Australians who care about football (they'll win).

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
If I remember correctly Australia now plays in the Asian qualifier (and not Oceania or whatever) and now the 5th qualified team gets to play against a team from North/Central America.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Polidoro posted:

River is really sad, I hope they get promoted and recover just because I hate Boca.

I thought they were already back in the top league.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So, Brazil. Goddamnit that was a bad bad game. We were actually outplaying Mexico until that bizarre first goal, and then everything fell apart. Marcelo was probably our best player on the pitch again, everyone else ranged from mediocre to really fuckin' bad - hi Juan. It was so awful it actually made me physically sick. Okay, maybe that was just sleep deprivation and spending the past few days on a crappy bus, but the match didn't help.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Ronaldinho is about to sign with Atletico Mineiro, who are reportedly also after Adriano. I guess this is where that old expression "having more money than sense" applies.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Prostitution in Belo Horizonte will live a golden age.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

joepinetree posted:

who are reportedly also after Adriano

Wow... just... wow. But, I guess if you can't get Forlan, Adriano and Ronaldinho are the next best thing? :lol:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
They also have Jô. Well, Minas is known for cachaça...

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Peru lost, as expected. I loving hate the attitude of the fans/players. They say that the loss was 'unjust'. YOU loving LOST THE GAME. It's not about justice, it's about who loving wins.

Stupid loving country full of stupid loving people.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Weaponized Cum posted:

Peru lost, as expected. I loving hate the attitude of the fans/players. They say that the loss was 'unjust'. YOU loving LOST THE GAME. It's not about justice, it's about who loving wins.

Stupid loving country full of stupid loving people.
Relax man, your next game is against Uruguay and we are, as a journalist said, the "WCQ defibrillator".

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Thanks for the kind words my friend, but I can't stand the attitude of most Peruvians. It is despicable. gently caress them.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

HolaMundo posted:

If I remember correctly Australia now plays in the Asian qualifier (and not Oceania or whatever) and now the 5th qualified team gets to play against a team from North/Central America.

number five of asia plays against number five of south america. source

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

I think they are on to something...

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

I think they are on to something...

All I can see is bad spanish :smug:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

It says: "Ronaldinho will play at the city with the most bars in Brazil" and it includes a free guide to the nightlife in Belo Horizonte.

I thought people who speak Spanish could understand Portuguese...

edit: I forgot you are from Chile, so you don't speak Spanish :D

Polidoro fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 6, 2012

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
You can see the little sparkle in his eyes as he thinks about all the rum he'll be drinking. The look of a kid in a candy shop.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

It says: "Ronaldinho will play at the city with the most bars in Brazil" and it includes a free guide to the nightlife in Belo Horizonte.

I thought people who speak Spanish could understand Portuguese...

edit: I forgot you are from Chile, so you don't speak Spanish :D

I see what you did there.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

^^^^ I'm just kidding, weón.

Back to the WCQ, as Lugano is both suspended and injured (hopefully permanently) Coates is likely to take his place. A three-man backline is very likely because it's been used in the last couple of training sessions. If you remember Copa America at all, we started playing with three at the back and Peru (Guerrero) scored easily.

It seems every Peruvian player is injured so that's an advantage, but as we all know, Uruguay can't handle advantage.

Lastly, we are number 2 in FIFA's latest ranking, take that Germany! Once the Euro starts we are hosed.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Polidoro posted:

^^^^ I'm just kidding, weón.

Lastly, we are number 2 in FIFA's latest ranking, take that Germany! Once the Euro starts we are hosed.

I know :). After the euro I expect the top 4/5 to be all European countries.

Anyway time for a World Cup Qualifier update

After the last round of games the table is looking different.

This time around Argentina has a match off (well normally they would play brazil but they are off playing (insert random country here))

I can see Paraguay beating Bolivia at la paz. Venezuela drawing with chile (Thou I am expecting my fellow country men going all out and then conceding a goal from a set piece) Uruguay should beat Peru... That is if Uruguay decide to come and play the god drat game. And lastly Colombia should be able to pick up some points in Ecuador.

EDIT: Brazil are playing Argentina in new york on Saturday 09/06/2012

dj_pain fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jun 7, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

dj_pain posted:

This time around Argentina has a match off (well normally they would play brazil but they are off playing (insert random country here) Brasil in New York )

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Updated my post :)

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Farfan out of the Uruguay game because he has some kind of stomach flu. People don't even wanna play for this country I swear.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(

Polidoro posted:

A three-man backline is very likely because it's been used in the last couple of training sessions. If you remember Copa America at all, we started playing with three at the back and Peru (Guerrero) scored easily.

But that goal was Lugano's fault and he isn't playing!
Therefore we'll be okay...right? :ohdear:

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Coates is only marginally faster than Lugano, so no.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Ohh lol santos lost today at home to Corinthians

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
What a coincidence, at the same moment Corinthians were going to put the game 0-2 somebody (obviously Pelé) shut the stadium lights off.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Libertadores are back and it's the semi we've all been waiting for: Boca vs. Universidad. 7:15PM EST at La Bombonera. Think La U has to find a way to get 2 goals here to prevent the kind of results Boca have managed to pick up.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Vinestalk posted:

Libertadores are back and it's the semi we've all been waiting for: Boca vs. Universidad. 7:15PM EST at La Bombonera. Think La U has to find a way to get 2 goals here to prevent the kind of results Boca have managed to pick up.

lol they lost two - nil. It's going to be interesting in santiago. Also the play colo-colo this weekend for the apertura finals.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
2-0. Good result for Universidad. They can turn things around with home advantage and win 3-0.

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith

Adulterous Hitler posted:

2-0. Good result for Universidad. They can turn things around with home advantage and win 3-0.

Stop stealing my comments.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

nolifefriendshope posted:

Stop stealing my comments.

You should be very careful with your accusations, friend.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
If U de Chile plays like today I doubt they'll manage to get the result they need.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Grêmio lost 2-0 home to Palmeiras for the first leg of the Copa do Brasil semis. I was there. I hate myself and everyone else right now.

Also, São Paulo and Coritiba are tying 0-0 on the other semi right now, but gently caress that game too.

I'm depressed. :smith:

EDIT: São Paulo scored with Lucas, game is now 1-0, the world is still a terrible place.

Dias fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 15, 2012

nolifefriendshope
Jun 11, 2012

by T. Smith

hecko posted:

If U de Chile plays like today I doubt they'll manage to get the result they need.

No one ever plays well in the Bombonera. I don't think Boca have lost there in the history of the Libertadores.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Credit to Boca, though, they've managed to pull off some great results away from home during this campaign. La U really lucky Boca didn't score more. Highlights for the first leg of both semis, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj9zufBjimM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBD-REkjxfY

Next legs are the 20th (Santos @ Corinthians) and the 21st (Boca @ La U) at 8:50PM EDT. The All Brazil Tie should have some sparks flying. Would not be surprised if a player got sent off.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

nolifefriendshope posted:

No one ever plays well in the Bombonera. I don't think Boca have lost there in the history of the Libertadores.

They lost against Fluminense in the group stage this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Alcides Ghiggia the man who scored Uruguay's second goal in the 1950 final is in an induced coma after a car accident. I think he's the last survivor of the 1950 champions :(