Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Couple of questions

I used two different SNES emulators for Android(SNESDroid and SNESoid). Problems that I had with both of them is they could start to stutter after periods of play and would eventually crash. Which is the best SNES emulator on the market free or otherwise?

Which controller has the best support through third-party apps? I was thinking of getting a PS3 controller just for the wireless capabilities. I have a Wii Mote with Classic Controller, but it's unwieldy with it being a controller wired to another controller.

Edit: I have a TF201 so performance shouldn't be an issue with SNES emulation.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
SNES emulation is always kind of weird, and I don't think that there are any emulators that work perfectly. Check out this article if you're interested in the nerdery of it.

Best SNES emulator for android that I've used is yongzh's. Even then you'll find hiccups, especially if your phone is older. Just something that you have to deal with for SNES emulation in general.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
SNES9X EX is a nice one by the same author who did all the other *.emu emulators. It's free plus it has native wii controller support.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

senae posted:

You'll play nonomatic, probably the best picross on the entire platform, especially if you've got giant sausage fingers. It comes with a decent number of puzzles, and the puzzle packs are all rather large and worth the money.

It has a nice general interface, but that zoom is really annoying since I tend to solve puzzles visually. I prefer the official griddlers.net app. It also supports multipart, color and triangle piece puzzles.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Are any PC style strategy games for android? For example, Age of Empires, StarCraft, Supreme Commander.

I can't really go about downloading paid apps from the market and getting a refund in the allotted time. I'm using my phone's 3G internet which means downloading just 2 or 3 MB takes several minutes.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life
Thanks for the heads up Lord Yod. Terraria on Android is fantastic news indeed.

Lil Kingdom seems to have more to keep you busy than Tiny Tower. But both I played for a couple days before the whole... wtf am I doing with my life thoughts kick in. They're not even really games.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

SlayVus posted:

Are any PC style strategy games for android? For example, Age of Empires, StarCraft, Supreme Commander.

I can't really go about downloading paid apps from the market and getting a refund in the allotted time. I'm using my phone's 3G internet which means downloading just 2 or 3 MB takes several minutes.

There's a pretty good Android version of Majesty. It plays differently from most RTS games (you don't control units directly, instead you offer them rewards) but it's a PC-style RTS that works well on a touchscreen platform.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Tadhg posted:

SNES emulation is always kind of weird, and I don't think that there are any emulators that work perfectly. Check out this article if you're interested in the nerdery of it.

Article's nine months old, try this one.

byuu posted:

It took multiple years, lots of money, and the help of a vast number of individuals; but we've finally pulled it off: every SNES DSP program has now been extracted and emulated fully.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

JawnV6 posted:

Article's nine months old, try this one.

Neat. Anybody know of an Android emulator implementing this, then?

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Considering the hardware requirements to run bsnes accurately on a pc, I wouldn't imagine anyone basing a cell phone emulator off of his source code anytime soon. The software byuu designs is more for the hobbyist approach of ultra accuracy no matter the cost, not quite fitting with the minimalist requirements of a pocket system.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis
Here's a good article the developer of bsnes wrote for Ars Technica a while ago, describing the travails of ultra-accurate emulation.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON
Which, ironically enough, was linked in the second post of this page by Tadhg himself. Although it is certainly an interesting article.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Bo Steed posted:

Which, ironically enough, was linked in the second post of this page by Tadhg himself. Although it is certainly an interesting article.

my god

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

For some reason I've become addicted to Zombie Lane. I think the biggest draw is the fact that I haven't used a single cent on the game, and I don't need to. It's a pretty typical casual-or-whatever-they're-called game, but I can kill zombies and build a pretty little garden and plant my pumpkins. There's also a pretty large number of missions, and the potential for more.

It also seems I can have neighbors in the latest update, so if anyone else plays it, give us a hoot.

Edit: Facebook link.

Also, loving Dungeon Raid is awesome, I blame all of you for this.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 12:42 on May 10, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Lord Yod posted:

Terraria is getting ported to Android

Oh my loving god YES :rock:.

In other news, I bought Dungeon Raid yesterday. Holy poo poo goons, you weren't lying, that game is just amazing. It sucks up time and phone battery like crazy.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I too grabbed dungeon raid the other day. That game is dangerous sucking away an hour when I figure I'll just spend 15 minutes of doing this...

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

Black Griffon posted:

For some reason I've become addicted to Zombie Lane.

I just started playing this today, seems cool and you really don't need to pay anything to enjoy the game. Right now I'm in the middle of a zombie invasion, I need to kill 40 :zombie: before my wife comes home.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Attention Horse posted:

In other news, I bought Dungeon Raid yesterday. Holy poo poo goons, you weren't lying, that game is just amazing. It sucks up time and phone battery like crazy.

I just bought this today. Three days before my first exam.

I think that that was possibly my worst work-related decision so far. Something this simple shouldn't be so drat addictive.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
How's Drisk paid? Specifically multiplayer? I've been enjoying the free version enough that I may get it. I really enjoy turn based strategy games, so is this a great choice or can you recommend anything better?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Goons how could you even suggest Dungeon Raids?! I've been playing it for the past four hours when I'm supposed to be working. It's ruining my life!

Also, how do I level my classes?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 10, 2012

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

SlayVus posted:

Goons how could you even suggest Dungeon Raids?! I've been playing it for the past four hours when I'm supposed to be working. It's ruining my life!

Special monsters will sometimes drop trophies that will either unlock a new class or level up your current class.

Dandy Cat
Mar 21, 2008
I too have been playing Dungeon Raid nonstop since I got it. I played it for almost 6 hours straight the other day. I am officially addicted.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

SlayVus posted:

You have to kill boss monsters on non-easy difficulty.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Don't worry, guys addicted to Dungeon Raid, the addiction will taper off after a couple of days and then you'll never play the game again.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
They said that about Monster Hunter too. :razz:

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy

SlayVus posted:

I usually try to get big game hunter every game. It pretty much doubles the amount of bosses you kill. Its also been my downfall on several occasions

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

apophenium posted:

Special monsters will sometimes drop trophies that will either unlock a new class or level up your current class.

Pretty sure it based on amount of boss monsters killed. Every 20 or so you will get a new level, or class.

And you dont stop playing after 3 days.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Is the GameLoft website completely terrible or is it just something on my end? It keeps asking me to relog in every few pages in Chrome and when I tried in IE10 to see if it was just a Chrome issue it doesn't even load the captcha.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

gmq posted:

Don't worry, guys addicted to Dungeon Raid, the addiction will taper off after a couple of days and then you'll never play the game again.

Or, you can have it for 2 oses and play it in addictive spurts for over a year

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Is the GameLoft website completely terrible or is it just something on my end? It keeps asking me to relog in every few pages in Chrome and when I tried in IE10 to see if it was just a Chrome issue it doesn't even load the captcha.

Absolutely everything about GameLoft other than the games themselves (most of them anyway) is terrible. That's normal.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Splizwarf posted:

Absolutely everything about GameLoft other than the games themselves (most of them anyway) is terrible. That's normal.

Yeah, apparently only 11 of their games support my phone anyways, and none of the good ones.

illicitporpoises
May 16, 2006

How do you get updates for Gameloft games? Can you? I got a bunch with my tablet and they don't show up in the Play store.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of trophies for leveling in Dungeon Raid, how do you actually pick those up? I got one earlier but wasn't able to get it before I died.

The Incredible Ed
Nov 12, 2006

The way of a sluggard is like a hedge of thorns, but the path of the upright is a level highway.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of trophies for leveling in Dungeon Raid, how do you actually pick those up? I got one earlier but wasn't able to get it before I died.

You just poke it.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Incredible Ed posted:

You just poke it.

Alright, thanks! Also, how do you see how many turns you've taken?

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
Upper right corner I think it says stats. It should be in there.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Oh hey Jazz: Trump's Journey is out for Android! It's a very charming platformer with a great art-style. There's an in-app purchase after the first two levels to unlock the full game, it's only a buck though.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

deadwing posted:

Oh hey Jazz: Trump's Journey is out for Android! It's a very charming platformer with a great art-style. There's an in-app purchase after the first two levels to unlock the full game, it's only a buck though.

It's also free in the Windows 8 app store if you wanna try it out on PC first, same with Cut the Rope.

Sanchless
Apr 23, 2006

Safe inside a safe.

deadwing posted:

For a second in my heart I hoped it was a Jazz Jackrabbit port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Sanchless posted:

For a second in my heart I hoped it was a Jazz Jackrabbit port.

If you really, really want to, you can run DOSBox Turbo and get your Jazz Jackrabbit on.

• Locked thread