Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well the cast iron thread is gone and this thread seems to fit the bill pretty well so here goes.

Last night I took my cast iron pan that I have been using for 3 years and sanded the insides of it until the looked and felt smooth to the touch. Got loving tired of that sand cast surface, never got it as smooth as I wanted despite using it all the time with a proper metal spatula and never cleaning it with soap etc. etc. Not that I complained about its performance, this pan worked really well, I made eggs and omelettes in it, but I would have issues from time to time nomatter what I did. Meatballs where a problem, they like to stick all the time.

Anyway after I polished it good with 150 grit sandpaper and washed it thoroughly I oiled it in canola oil and put it in the oven for an hour. Then I fried a pack of bacon in it. The first strips stuck like heck but by the end of the pack the bacon was just sliding off it. I made some eggs after that and it was incredible, and the surface just feels so smooth now, like glass. Come dinner time I put it to the real test and holy poo poo that's so nice, the meatballs just came loose by shaking the pan and no stuck on meat behind them either.

The new seasoning hasn't even properly taken yet in and it's still brighter in spots, yet the pan has in a few hours of cooking surpassed what 3 years of careful seasoning had done. I doubt I will buy any more cast iron anything, I just need one pan. But if I do, it will be polished before I ever use it, it outperforms my teflon pans easily now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

axolotl farmer posted:

That's just a pic from a GIS for all the poor people who never knew the joy of plättar och sylt.

And all you need is an ordinary cast iron pan and make one big plätt instead if you don't have one of those, in finland that's what we call plättar anyway, the swedish kind are called småplättar.

Lätt som plätt.

• Locked thread