Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ither posted:

The sword is way too op

Also (end of book spoilers): I'm kind of bummed that Loki is villainous in this. Would have loved a more heroric take on him

If you like Loki and mythology all that bi-hizz-ness then you'd probably really enjoy the series (now complete, I believe) Runemarks.

I thought it was pretty fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

So I just got finished watching the movie of Miss Peregrine's, should I also check out the book? It sounds interesting but I don't know if it's much different than the movie or if it goes into more detail or in a different direction

Watching that movie made you want to check out the books? :catstare:

Anyone got any recc's for books along the lines of the Abhorsen(nix) , Bartimaeus(stroud), or Golden Compass(pullman) trilogies? Doesn't need to be a series.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Alder posted:

I recc'd Lockwood and Co series by Stroud which is a ghost-hunting/detective agency themed series. So far there's 4 books out but I feel like there'll be another one next year. I like it because there's a FeMC and welp, kids acting like kids vs adults in an interesting setting. Also, talking skull.

In a related note I read Goldenhand the latest and final book in Abhorsen series and I regret it. If only I could just erase the entire exp from my mind...

How many are in the Abhorsen series? I only am aware of 3 plus that Old Wall novella thing.

And thanks guys, I'll check out all of those recommendations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ither posted:

Rick Riordan is truly a progressive writer. Glad to see someone else on here enjoying his work.

I do wonder how long he can keep the Percyverse going though. Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and Norse are the big three. Where else can he go?

I have a very limited knowledge of who Riordan and Percy Jackson are, but there are countless other religions to crib from that are immediately recognizable. Indian, Incan/Aztex stuff, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, The Scottish/Celtic mush, the Nigerian/West African (or pushed through to Latin America) Orishas...
Tons more.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

luscious posted:

ok so I basically love all of Harry Potter while also starting my re-reads at book 3 lol. Should I skip some of the earlier stuff of just stfu and read it all?

You've probably read it several times through already, so just go with what you want?
If your choices are rereading Harry Potter and reading Duane's Young Wizards for the first time, read Duane's series. And then reread those instead of rereading Harry Potter (I know they're two different styles of fantasy, but I liked Young Wizards so much better).

Diane Duane is also a woman, so that hits another point for you.