Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Would 1984 be too advanced? I'm a whore for dystopian literature, so I think it'd fit in well with Hunger Games as a compare/contrast sort of thing (Fahrenheit 451 too, obviously).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

aslan posted:

Ahoy, fellow poster with a name stolen from a racist children's book series!

And I'm pretty sure it's a requirement that British kid lit have incredibly gratuitous depictions of feasting. One book that I read suggested that it dates back to the era of World War II and post-war rationing, where most kids would only get to taste most of that stuff very rarely, which makes sense, I guess (although I feel like there are plenty of book feasts that date back even further than that) . . . And obviously it's more or less a requirement now. People used to complain about the gratuitous feast scenes in Harry Potter, and I always wanted to be like, no, you don't get it; it's tradition, goddamn it. After being left on the edge of our seats watching the protagonist battle the forces of evil for 500+ pages, we deserve some kind of vicarious reward.

How were the feasts in Harry Potter gratuitous? They were mostly held for special occasions, only described in any great detail when it advanced the plot, and the feasts themselves were only described in the most superficial detail.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Can anyone recommend some books that aren't too out there, but have small adventures in them that suck you back in?

Maybe it's just because it's late at night and I'm tired, but what does this even mean? I've read this five times, and I still have no idea what sort of recommendation you're looking for.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I went and saw The Mortal Instruments in the theater last weekend and decided to go ahead and read the books to see how it compares. I must admit that I enjoyed reading the series although the end of City of Glass seemed like a bit of a cop-out, and I kept thinking 'well what about everyone else you selfish bitch'.

I heard the author was a Harry Potter fan-fiction writer, and now I'm scared to read that series. Granted that now I can't forget what I heard, is there any chance I wouldn't have my enjoyment of the series ruined by that knowledge (I've heard some of the characters and plot are disturbingly similar)?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I asked because, in general, I'm willing to give authors the benefit of the doubt. A lot of series that have become very popular have had accusations of plagiarism levelled at them in some respect (even Harry Potter and Hunger Games, or in other media, every Tarantino film ever), and in the majority of cases it turns out to be nothing (or a superficial similarity to something else, intentional or otherwise). This sounds like actual plagiarism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Captain Mog posted:

Also, sorry to do this twice but: "Dorothy Must Die" is one of my new favorite YA books, if not one of my new favorite books ever. Please, do read it. It's phenomenal. It's "The Wizard of Oz", if Dorothy was an evil dictator, if Oz was a post-apocalyptic hellscape and filled with creepy monsters and great, likable characters.

I must've missed it the first time, but this sounds very interesting, so thank you for repeating yourself.