Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Freezer posted:

So how come airlines (specially the budget ones) have manage to reduce their costs so much below Rail travel? Or is it just Rail's costs that are bloated?

I suspect that a lot of it is that there is competition for airlines that doesn't exist with the rail network. Wikipedia tells me that 5 companies run flights from Edinburgh to a London airport, so they need to fill a niche to get customers and for the 'budget' airlines, that will mean fighting over the lowest fares.

This is not the case with trains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
The worst train in Britain is the one used by South West Trains on its commuter lines. The seats were designed by a powerful supercomputer to be as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

I went on the Watercress Line (heritage steam railway thing) a couple of years back and was amazed to find little headreasts on the side of the seats in the carriages. Truly progress has gone into reverse in the past 40 years.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Jet fuel is also massively subsidised by the government if my memory serves me correctly.

Mostly though, the perception of cost with a flight is a lot lower than it actually is, the perception of cost with a train is a lot higher than it actually is.

When you consider the time and money it takes to get to and from the airport relative to the railway station, the cost of the ticket and the time taken, they are actually fairly comparable (rail is still more expensive).

Rail is expensive generally because you have lots of fixed assets the length of the network which require looking after, whereas in air travel, you just base all your maintenance guys and their equipment at a couple of airports.

If they plane is knackered, it won't even take off, but a train can get hundreds of miles before it hits a fault or fails.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bozza posted:

However, there are other things afoot. We are about to see the electrification of the Great Western Main Line, from London to Cardiff, over the next 8 years, with the first electric services starting to run as soon as 4 years from now.
While this is cool, I do wish they were planning to electrify out to Swansea. From now on I get the feeling I'm going to have to change at Cardiff every time I want to head to Bristol or London.

Mind you, Swansea's in a weird position anyway because it's a terminus station: through trains have to go into the station, then back out again to continue their journey. And as I understand it, the high speed rail line doesn't go into the station, but bypasses it, and therefore never gets used (could someone confirm/deny this? Just something I heard talking to someone on the train).

What Swansea really needs is a new station on that bit of line. Call it Swansea Parkway or something. It'd be out of town, but at least it'd be near the motorway. But I guess there's no money for anything like that now :sigh:.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

Jet fuel is also massively subsidised by the government if my memory serves me correctly.
There's no excise duty on jet fuel (and no VAT either). Dunno if you pay duty for diesel for railways. It's not so much the government, though, as I understand it, but the various treaties that regulate international air travel that prohibit it. Which is a shame because a tax on jet fuel would be a great way of applying polluter-pays to air travel the same way petrol duty applies it to cars.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Bozza, are trains designed to discourage people falling asleep on them? I ask as all the window ledges are slopped or not wide enough for an elbow and I know every is like me and would love to get a bit of shut eye just before or just after work.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Bozza sell me on the benefits of hs2 or I'm going to remain vaguely opposed to it because I've seen the route and it goes through some lovely countryside.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mr Cuddles posted:

Bozza sell me on the benefits of hs2 or I'm going to remain vaguely opposed to it because I've seen the route and it goes through some lovely countryside.

http://demandnothing.org/high-speed-2-white-elephant-or-national-investment/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

notaspy posted:

Bozza, are trains designed to discourage people falling asleep on them? I ask as all the window ledges are slopped or not wide enough for an elbow and I know every is like me and would love to get a bit of shut eye just before or just after work.
Like I said, if you ever get to sit in a carriage from the 60s or so you will find little headrests on the sides of the seats, so that both the person next to the window and the one next to the aisle can have somewhere to rest their heads and - presumably - sleep. Modern ones are presumably designed to cram the highest number of seats into the smallest amount of space and drat any discomfort that results.

Shakespearean Beef
Jul 12, 2008

Ask me all about how I proudly marched alongside literal NEO-NAZIS to protest against the GOVERNMENT taking away our FREEDOMS because of nothing mote that the common FLU!!! I'm holding aloft the TORCH of FREEDOM!!
There's no point whining about the cost of the trains. Uncomfortable fact number one is that the railway is already relatively a rich man's toy – the whole railway. People who use the railway on average have significantly higher incomes than the population as a whole – simple fact.

Even then, if you are a factory worker from Manchester you might never get on HS2 but you will certainly be benefiting from it, if the sales director of your company is routinely hopping on it to meet customers, to jet round the world from Heathrow in a way that brings in orders to keep you employed.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Canada's rail system is a sad state of affairs as well.

The passenger service is managed by VIA and freight and other rail traffic is Canadian National (CN) or Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR). Since CN and CPR own all the rail lines, VIA trains have to pull over to let freight trains pass. This can mean big delays, even on the Toronto-Montreal corridor that see's the majority of rail traffic. Not to mention huge cutbacks in service, to the point where only a handful of cities and very few towns have rail service.

VIA also has a history of massive cost overruns and service cuts, while the price keeps going up. This includes the "Renaissance" trains, which are European trains that were refitted for Canadian use at a very high cost. It's also really difficult to take a train to the United States now, because Amtrak has also gone through some big cuts. I think you have to take a train to Buffalo or Albany and then switch to an American rail line.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Paul.Power posted:

While this is cool, I do wish they were planning to electrify out to Swansea. From now on I get the feeling I'm going to have to change at Cardiff every time I want to head to Bristol or London.

You shouldn't, because some of the new Intercity Express Trains the government is ordering should be electro-diesels - that is, once they stop at the edge of electrification the pantograph comes down and they go on into non-electrified territory. Of course, this means they have to lug around big diesel engines and fuel for the majority of their electrified journey, but this government doesn't have to pay for that so pffff.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had to go into university for an exam today.
My train was cancelled, then an express train whizzed past, then the next train (4 coaches - half the length of the one that was cancelled) showed up, absolutely rammed full of passengers from the other 4 stations my train stops at.
Thankfully, conditions on the train were so unutterably awful that one unfortunate young woman had to push through the peoplejam to get to the open door where she promptly spewed all over the platform, sending every potential passenger except me dashing away (I got splashed by lovely orange/pink spots). She was persuaded to leave the train, leaving just enough space for me to squeeze myself into so small a gap I literally could only move my right hand for the next 10 minutes.
Also, despite it being about 30 degrees with everyone crammed in, the heating was still on. Greater Anglia: :downsbravo:

That counts as Trainchat, right?

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

This cancelling of trains etc is lovely because it's mostly a statistics fudge. Better to cancel one late train than to let it delay several others because that costs money in penalty fares. Signallers often moan (a lot generally...) about having to make late running trains even later in their regulation decision because if they delay an on-time service they get a bollocking - due to causing Network Rail further penalty fares.

It's a total bullshit situation based that has arisen out of the contractual way the industry is now run.

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011

Zephro posted:

The worst train in Britain is the one used by South West Trains on its commuter lines. The seats were designed by a powerful supercomputer to be as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

I went on the Watercress Line (heritage steam railway thing) a couple of years back and was amazed to find little headreasts on the side of the seats in the carriages. Truly progress has gone into reverse in the past 40 years.

South-West Trains doesn't even have a bloody wi-fi connection on what is supposedly one of the country's busiest commuter lines (From Bournemouth to Waterloo via Reading)

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Thank you for this thread, I’ve wanted to learn more about the history of UK rail privatization mostly because of the large number of politicians who think privatization is the final solution to our economic ills. I don’t know if you follow American politics but about this time last year Republicans proposed that we should copy the success of the UK and privatize Amtrak. Some people countered with how privatization hasn’t gone as well as described (all the Republicans said is that the Virgin West Coast Line doubled ridership, is profitable and Amtrak isn’t so kill it) but didn’t go into the details you did.

Could you elaborate on why there were such increases in ridership during this time dispute the increase in fares? I understand that the relationship between fare and ridership is inelastic, especially more so for people who have no choice but I don’t know enough about how people get around in the UK.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Bozza posted:

It's a total bullshit situation based that has arisen out of the contractual way the industry is now run.

Isn't this also true in flight schedulling for airlines, incidentally?

You elect to massively inconvenience one set of travellers while trying not to spread the pain...

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
As an American this is really interesting to me and it blows my mind that you run so many different trains on a single unified rail network. Here we have some rail sharing between commuter and long distance trains, but it's really minor for the most part.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
This might be slightly off topic (as it doesn't concern glorious Albion), but deregulation has left rail in an equally sorry state of affairs in Sweden too. Not very surprisingly it was pushed through, here as in other places, as a means of getting things done in a more cost efficient and reliable manner. Even less surprising is the fact that it made things more expensive and less reliable, as per usual with these sort of things. It's no longer uncommon for trains to be canceled or delayed because of bad weather and/or snow. In loving Sweden, of all places, where snow is very much a thing. It boggles the mind.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Like I said, if you ever get to sit in a carriage from the 60s or so you will find little headrests on the sides of the seats, so that both the person next to the window and the one next to the aisle can have somewhere to rest their heads and - presumably - sleep. Modern ones are presumably designed to cram the highest number of seats into the smallest amount of space and drat any discomfort that results.

I miss the old A-stock Metropolitan Line trains that also ran on the old East London Line, with the 3+2 bench seats. Most comfortable train ever run on the Underground (allegedly because the high speeds and crappy track on the Metroland sections meant they had to have big bouncy seats to avoid breaking peoples spines).

Anyway - making the ridiculously large assumption that we ever get a non-poo poo Government in, how tricky would renationalising the railways be? Can we, like with Metrolines and Railtrack, just let the whole thing fall apart and then pick up the pieces? Also, Bozza, did you ever do that big effortpost on signalling and ATO you threatened?

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012

Hot Dog Day #60 posted:

Could you elaborate on why there were such increases in ridership during this time dispute the increase in fares? I understand that the relationship between fare and ridership is inelastic, especially more so for people who have no choice but I don’t know enough about how people get around in the UK.
The increase in ridership can partly be attributed to the end of white flight (to use an Americanism). Taking London as an example, many of the areas inside Inner London that were considered 'undesirable' for decades, such as Hackney and Brixton, are now being gentrified because fleeing to horrible commuter towns like Milton Keynes is no longer the dream; professionals want to live and work in urban communities (even if gentrification destroys said communities), where trains are almost always the most convenient way to travel.

It also has to do with suppressed demand. The London Overground, which is a mish-mash of reopened and formerly neglected lines, is incredibly popular; one stretch of it, which opened two years ago, is probably going to need major works in a few years to cope with the demand. Several other lines across the country have risen from the grave in the past several years and people are using them.

zonar
Jan 4, 2012

That was a BAD business decision!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyway - making the ridiculously large assumption that we ever get a non-poo poo Government in, how tricky would renationalising the railways be?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there some bit of anti-competitive EU legislation that might prove to be a problem if we attempted to renationalise the rail network? Of course, if our government went against that with the same gusto they go against human rights, it won't be a problem :v:

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Rust Martialis posted:

Isn't this also true in flight schedulling for airlines, incidentally?

Airline scheduling is it's own special madness that I'm very glad I no longer have to worry about due to a change in job.

Imagine a worldwide booking and scheduling system that was incredibly forward thinking in the 50s and hasn't really changed to make use of the internet.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can we, like with Metrolines and Railtrack, just let the whole thing fall apart and then pick up the pieces?

Nicking from Bozza's short-lived blog

quote:

So, getting to crux of this history lesson, I propose a new approach to nationalisation. Network Rail is a great place to start; it currently owns all the infrastructure and has built up in the last several years a lot of engineering expertise. This needs to be expanded on and grown back to the levels BR had, with contractors used to prop up big engineering jobs, and also return to their more natural environment of developing new technologies (lots of money in this if anyone is interested!) with central guidance.

The first thing the government needs to do to make this plan work is simple. Get back our loving trains! Either buy back or order new builds of rolling stock and systematically block the RoSCoS out of the market, because these are the biggest arseholes in the whole bloody set-up. This will require long-term planning and investment from government that must be free from meddling or it won’t work.
Secondly, create a new TOC under either a similar model to Network Rail, or perhaps as a mutual. The latter was actually suggested, by an alliance of the three big railway unions (ASLEF, the RMT and the TSSA, who are collectively perhaps worthy of their own article) as an option for running the currently nationalised East Coast franchise, which operates under this model currently, but with profits heading straight to the DfT. This was unsurprisingly blocked by the government for bullshit reasons so some other bus company which may or may not donate large quantities of money to the Labour or Tory Party can take it over instead.

In this fantasy world, this TOC will then inherit the franchises one by one as the current ones run out, and we will end up with a pseudo-nationalised TOC working for a pseudo-nationalised Infrastructure Controller (Network Rail). We could seriously leave it here quite frankly, as most of the bullshit between the TOCs and NR is legal wrangling, with no respect for overall vision for the future of the network, as it is short-term profits over long-term investments and gain.

In keeping with EU competition rules about open access, this will also allow small operators to bid for access from NR for specials which can’t be provided by the nationalised TOC. The best way to think of this is that the NHS provides you core healthcare, but if you want to get something fancy that is outside of its budget, you have to go private. This is how I envisage services to the continent beginning, but it could also work the other way, with the nationalised TOC being able to expand into the European markets through an era of interoperability that is beginning to emerge through the European Rail Authority.

So, there we have it, a grand summation of why privatisation is poo poo, why BR was more awesome than you thought and why we really, really need to sort things out.
I will add as a caveat that nationalisation won’t be the panacea to all the industries ills. The lack of investment in the UK rail infrastructure means that it will likely be 10 years of sustained payouts from the government before we see a marked improvement. You can’t solve a cut artery with a plaster and we should stop pretending that there are short term solutions to long term problems and get our loving national wallet out and pay for serious remedies.

aqae
Mar 7, 2012

salt

Bozza posted:

This guy came and spoke at our Maritime Union national conference here in Australia, he is well tied with our National Secretary Paddy Crumlin... quite passionate on the issues and sounded like they were having to put up an enormous struggle. I take my hat off to him for his passion and enthusiasm. He made the flight from London to Sydney and gave a raving speech even though he was suffering glandular fever, literally started foaming at the mouth with rage.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

This might be slightly off topic (as it doesn't concern glorious Albion), but deregulation has left rail in an equally sorry state of affairs in Sweden too. Not very surprisingly it was pushed through, here as in other places, as a means of getting things done in a more cost efficient and reliable manner. Even less surprising is the fact that it made things more expensive and less reliable, as per usual with these sort of things. It's no longer uncommon for trains to be canceled or delayed because of bad weather and/or snow. In loving Sweden, of all places, where snow is very much a thing. It boggles the mind.

Sweden is an odd one because it's privatisation wasn't quite as extreme as the UK (I believe it split all its operations into seperate companies but a majority are still owned, though may not be operated, by the Swedish state).

This all stems from a rather obscure and misunderstood EU directive, namely EU Directive 91/440.

It asks for the seperation of accounts so nations can be determined to be anti-competitive against new operators, with the theory being it will stop SNCF, who were by and the far the most militant about keeping others off their network, from blocking international freight.

The whole thing is based around trying to allow North-South, East-West freight transit more than anything. There have been other developments for passengers, but these are based around the Trans-European Network lines, which have a mandated set of standards for how they are constructed/signalled/electrified to allow international passenger travel without load of different signalling systems etc on the same train.

Poor old EU gets blamed for this one by left and right by people that don't really understand it.

Venmoch
Jan 7, 2007

Either you pay me or I flay you alive... With my mind!
I don't think this has been covered yet but does anyone know why the fare structure on the rail network is an absolute clusterfuck? Is there any reason why two tickets on the same train cost less than one? (EG going Westbury to Newbury and then Newbury to London is cheaper than Westbury to London even though its the same train.)

Why could we not adopt a Japanese fare system where you pay a flat rate to ride the train and then pay for the distance travelled?

That said there are some train companies that run a fantastic service. I'm lucky enough to be able to take the C2C line into work and I really can't fault it for reliability. I understand its basically one simple line and therefore probably really easy to run but I'm always impressed that you can pretty much set your watch by it.

Its certainly an improvement after First Great Western who have improved greatly but still have their moments!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Venmoch posted:

I don't think this has been covered yet but does anyone know why the fare structure on the rail network is an absolute clusterfuck? Is there any reason why two tickets on the same train cost less than one? (EG going Westbury to Newbury and then Newbury to London is cheaper than Westbury to London even though its the same train.)

My personal example is that you can get a Birmingham -> Edinburgh student ticket for £30*, but to take the same train from a few stations after Birmingham is £45.

It's that way because they can get away with it. If you don't have a car, the only options you have for long-distance travel are trains and megabus, and with the latter you get what you pay for. As most most people don't check multiple routes, they never find the alternatives.

*twice what it was 4 years ago. gently caress you CrossCountry.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

In a move that should surprise nobody (well, apart from being absolutely loving retarded) there is a proposal to break up Network Rail that thankfully appears to be meeting some stiff cross-party opposition.

For those who have forgotten, in the clusterfuck diagram in the OP Network Rail is responsible for the upkeep of 95%+ of the railway track, tunnels, bridges and signals; and operating a good few stations as well.

The Grauniad posted:

Train travel will worsen under government plans, MPs warn

Network Rail breakup and funding curbs 'will result in higher fares, cuts in services and more crowded trains', says motion

Trains will become more crowded and expensive and services will be cut under government plans for the railways, MPs have warned.

More than 100 MPs have signed an early day motion criticising government proposals to break up Network Rail and curb funding.

The motion warns that the government's plans will "worsen passenger services through the loss of thousands of frontline workers from trains, stations, ticket offices, safety-critical infrastructure and operational roles", and "will result in higher fares, cuts in services and more crowded trains".

The government has demanded that the industry make savings, with a view to cutting subsidies as well as pledging to end the annual above-inflation fare rises. Ticket office closures look certain after Justine Greening, the transport secretary, confirmed this year that she wanted the industry to deliver savings of £3.5bn a year by 2019. Responding to the review conducted by Sir Roy McNulty last year, she said passengers and taxpayers were picking up the tab for a "costly efficiency gap" and reform was long overdue.

Lets take a break here and look back at the OP, specifically the McNulty report analysis as provided by Christian Wolmar:

Wolmar posted:

The first seemed a no-brainer. McNulty correctly identified the lack of co-ordination in the industry as one of the generators of unnecessary costs. However, nowhere in his report does he suggest any overall coordinating body. Instead, we get the madcap idea that since the problem was created initially by fragmentation, lets have more of it by creating a plethora of diverse bodies, whose functions will be unclear and whose power will be unlimited.

Back to the news.

Grauniad posted:

The signatories say that proposals to break up the track operator, Network Rail, will make the railways more complex and less efficient and ignore the experience of European counterparts.

Now lets cut back to Wolmar.

Wolmar posted:

George Muir, the former boss of the Association of Train Operating Companies, reckons there will now be ten bodies, six of them new, including – I’m not making this up – a Technology Strategy Leadership Group, a Technology Strategy Advisory Group, and a Rail Innovation and Growth Team, all supposedly to co-ordinate cross industry activity. He says in an article in Passenger Transport that it is ‘Frankenstein, the fat controller’ and likens it ‘to a manual on local authority organisation’. Muir is not a man who wants to return to the days of British Rail but he does point out, rather acidly, that: ‘What seems odd is that we are seeking to emulate the efficiency of European comparators, France, Switzerland, Sweden, the Netherlands and the like, by doing something completely different from what they do. You can be certain that their efficiency does not come a thicket of strategy documents and cross-industry bodies’.

Government in "missing the entire bloody point" shocker.

Continuing...

The Graun posted:

The motion, tabled by the Labour MP John McDonnell, has attracted cross-party support including the former Liberal Democrat leaders Charles Kennedy and Menzies Campbell. It urges the government to run the railway as a "public service" with "affordable fares and proper staffing levels".

The TUC has meanwhile highlighted figures from the rail regulator showing that increased fares have come while investment in the network by train operating companies has halved over the last five years, from £743m in 2006-07 to £377m last year.

The TUC deputy general secretary, Frances O'Grady, said: "MPs from across the political spectrum are voicing the concerns of thousands of their constituents who feel ripped off by private train operators who inflict heavy fare rises while cutting staff on trains and stations and keeping investment in decent facilities on trains and stations to a minimum.

"These same companies are now being rewarded by the government with longer franchises and more freedom to maximise profits while cutting staff and closing ticket offices, showing exactly where ministers' priorities lie – not with the passenger but with the executives and shareholders of the train operating companies."

The RMT union's general secretary, Bob Crow, said: "The scandal of rail privatisation, which has bled billions in private profit out of our transport system for the last two decades, not only continues but is set to worsen under the plans laid out in the government's McNulty rail review.

"This government has learnt nothing from the tragedies of the past and is allowing the profiteers to bleed the railways of desperately needed investment while creating the perfect conditions for another Hatfield or Potters Bar. It is a national disgrace."

The rail minister, Theresa Villiers, said: "There is a consensus in the rail industry that inefficiency and waste is costing hard-pressed farepayers and taxpayers too much. That is why the government has set out a roadmap for action alongside the industry to deliver real value for money so we can end inflation-busting fare rises and deliver a better service for passengers."

I dont have the time to dig the figures up but the cost per mile of rail travel in the UK is many many times that in mainland europe.

Im glad that such a proposal is meeting stiff opposition since the reality is really anything other than the government position. Bob Crow brings up the Potters Bar and Hatfield rail crashes, both of which were directly attributed to the private companies taking over maintenance from Railtrack and not having adequate maintenance records.

"Wikipedia, Hatfield Crash posted:

A preliminary investigation found a rail had fragmented as trains passed and that the likely cause was "rolling contact fatigue" (defined as multiple surface-breaking cracks). Such cracks are caused by high loads where the wheels contact the rail.[2] Repeated loading causes fatigue cracks to grow. When they reach a critical size, the rail fails. Over 300 critical cracks were found in rails at Hatfield. The problem was known about before the accident, and replacement rails made available but never delivered to the correct location for installation. The implication that other rails might be affected led to speed restrictions on huge lengths of railway, causing significant delays on many routes, while checks were carried out on the rail condition. The incidence of cracks similar to those found at Hatfield was alarmingly high throughout the country.[citation needed]

The rail infrastructure company Railtrack, having divested much of the engineering knowledge of British Rail into maintenance contractors, had inadequate maintenance records and no accessible asset register. It did not know how much other "gauge corner cracking" around the network could lead to a Hatfield-like accident. Railtrack imposed over 1,200 emergency speed restrictions and instigated a nationwide (and costly) track replacement programme.

Wikipedia, Potters Bar rail crash posted:

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) report released in May 2003 found that the points were poorly maintained and that this was the principal cause of the accident.[6] The bolts that held the stretcher bars that keep the rails apart had come loose or gone missing, resulting in the points moving while the train passed over them. The points had been fully inspected on 1 May by a team working for the private railway maintenance firm Jarvis and there had been a further visual inspection on 9 May the day before the crash, with no problems reported.[citation needed] However, that evening, a rail worker was travelling on the line northbound and reported "lethal vibrations" on the track at Potters Bar whilst going over that same point on the track, point '2182A'.[citation needed] Jarvis employees did make an inspection of the points but, due to an inadequate incident reporting system, they were sent to the wrong end of the platform to check the track and points[citation needed] and did not find the 'loose nuts' that subsequently led to the accident.

Initially after the accident, Jarvis claimed that the points' poor condition was due to sabotage of some sort,[7] and that its maintenance was not to blame. However, no solid evidence of any sabotage has ever come to light. Furthermore, the HSE report found that other sets of points in the Potters Bar area showed similar (but not as serious) maintenance deficiencies and the poor state of maintenance "probably arose from a failure to understand fully the design and safety requirements".

And if you go a little further back in time you run into the Ladbroke Grove crash..

Wikipedia, Ladbroke Grove crash posted:

The Ladbroke Grove rail crash (also known as the Paddington train crash) was a rail accident which occurred on 5 October 1999 at Ladbroke Grove, London, England. 31 people were killed and more than 520 injured. This was the second major accident on the Great Western Main Line in just over two years, the first being the Southall rail crash of September 1997, a few miles west. Both crashes would have been prevented by an operational ATP (Automatic Train Protection) system, but wider fitting of this had been rejected on cost grounds. This severely damaged public confidence in the management and regulation of safety of Britain's privatised railway system.

A public inquiry into the crash by Lord Cullen was held in 2000. A separate 'joint[1] inquiry' in 2000 confirmed the rejection of ATP and the mandatory adoption of a cheaper and less effective system, but noted a mismatch between public opinion and cost-benefit analysis.

:byodood: Safety costs too much!

Like Bozza said, the rulebook is written in blood.

Plasmafountain fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 9, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

HTJ posted:

The increase in ridership can partly be attributed to the end of white flight (to use an Americanism). Taking London as an example, many of the areas inside Inner London that were considered 'undesirable' for decades, such as Hackney and Brixton, are now being gentrified because fleeing to horrible commuter towns like Milton Keynes is no longer the dream; professionals want to live and work in urban communities (even if gentrification destroys said communities), where trains are almost always the most convenient way to travel.

It also has to do with suppressed demand. The London Overground, which is a mish-mash of reopened and formerly neglected lines, is incredibly popular; one stretch of it, which opened two years ago, is probably going to need major works in a few years to cope with the demand. Several other lines across the country have risen from the grave in the past several years and people are using them.

The london overground owns. It was always really useful as the silverlink but the run down stations and infrequent trains put a lot of people off. Now with the extra lines, walk through trains and more frequent service it's a fantastic way to get between places that used to involve a long journey into central london and then another back out. Only issue i have with it is if i use it to go to northwest london at peak times i have to walk to highbury and islington instead of canonbury which is round the corner as it can get so packed i can't get on.

Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Bozza posted:

I can give more in-depth analysis of technology or the structural/organisational issues within the network. In addition to this, my actual day to day job is signalling design for Crossrail and the aforementioned Western Mainline Electrification programme.
I'd just like to add something to your diagram: Outsourced Customer Service Departments.

Don't get me wrong. Dealing with commuters who expect that the massive clusterfuck that is the British rail network is something that one person at a desk in Paddington Station can solve immediately for them is something no human being should ever have to do. But it is totally endemic in the problems of that system to think that the right response to increased numbers of comments, problems and complaints is to get yet another subcontractor involved.

What is that subcontractor going to do with the problems and complaints they get? Well, by and large, they're going to stick them in an electronic record somewhere (having mined complainers for whatever personal information they can) and do nothing else with them; after all, you can't risk offending the company paying you to answer their phones. Since they're not part of the actual operation of the trains, people at the other end have a very restricted information flow and limited powers anyway.

So passenger feedback stops (except through independent rail groups, which are great), companies stop talking to their passengers (except through their big advertising and PR budgets, which are completely misused by overpaid city graduates), and since train contracts are basicaly monopolies for as long as the company holds them, individual passengers are stuck with whatever they're given.

Yet more Privatization goodness.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Porphyrogenitos posted:

South-West Trains doesn't even have a bloody wi-fi connection on what is supposedly one of the country's busiest commuter lines (From Bournemouth to Waterloo via Reading)
Yes and no plans to add one either. ~~MARKETS~~

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hot Dog Day #60 posted:

A few things have probably affected it: there's been a huge drop in road-building in Britain since the 1990s and the Twyford Down protests. The roads are getting more congested, which makes rail more attractive.

Also, London's population started growing again in the 1980s after decades of falling, and its economy has done very well over the past 25 years, sucking in even more workers from the surrounding towns. A huge proportion of UK passenger rail traffic (like a third or more I think) is people commuting into and out of London. Each commuter generates 10 trips on average (2 a day, 5 a week), so population growth in London will boost rail usage disproportionately.

London has also implemented a fairly expensive congestion charge that means only the truly plutocratic can afford to drive in the city on a regular basis.

The Republicans might be interested to know that, for all that people defend railways as a social service, they are used overwhelmingly by the middle class and the rich because the fares are so eye-wateringly high. Even the rail minister has admitted that the railways are basically a "rich man's toy". This probably makes them attractive to the Republicans, of course, since it'll help them keep the poors in their ghettos.

quote:

I thought moving out to the commuter towns had only been postponed? People want to live in urban areas, as you say, but the impression I get is that changes when they have kids. The kind of people that can afford to live in gentrified bits of London are the kind of people who will move out to Guildford or whereever to take advantage of the better schools and the ability to own a house with a garden for the sake of their kids.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 9, 2012

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I think it's a bit a bullshit to call the railway a "rich mans toy". Commuting certainly is, but travel in general is not. Far be it for me to defend ATOC, but there are cheap fares out there and it is by far and the way the best method of travel if you are willing to vary your travel time or date.

The major issue is that economically, these are two seperate groups of customers who are in no way really linked. The broadly inelastic commuter will always travel and will always pay the maximum fare, the highly elastic leisure or casual traveller will broadly travel whenever is cheapest but whatever transport delivers it.

So rail competes in two very different markets which generally conflict with each other. This is what I alluded to with the competing by socio-economic class in the OP, if you want to go from London to Birmingham, you have three rail options:

Virgin trains, fastest but most expensive. London Midland, slowest but cheapest. Chiltern Railways, middle ground but goes to/from different stations.

Virgin filter off the LM customers by higher prices (thus driving down demand so they can deliver a higher quality service... supposedly. Similar to how business/first class works on a plane). LM offer cheap, no frills tickets and services so attract the student/minimalist/poorer customer. Chiltern are trying to break into both markets by offering something in the middle, but from less overcrowded stations.

Make rail a market and it plays to the market, gently caress the socio-economic benefits of a highly mobile population.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Having just been reminded of Alptransit what are the current prospects of shifting more freight traffic to rail? There is always a lot of talk about the environmental and other costs of hauling so much stuff by truck but any attempt to promote rail over road freight seems to get shot down.

Munin fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 10, 2012

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just wondering about South West Trains, until I got my bike fixed, it was my regular route to work (Brentford to Clapham Junction, and Clapham to Hampton Court). What's the normal public opinion on them? I don't think the trains they use are that effecitve, I always fear the Putney stop as thousands of business people cram onto the train and it seems to be dominated by large seats rather than good standing space. Yet on the train to Hampton Court, they are much better for standing space and seating, on the service that needs it less. What's up with that?

Also just out of curiousity and my final question, how much does it cost to run a regular service with a decent amount of passengers to turn a profit or break even? It always puzzles me that some people can get £12 tickets on national travel and others pay upwards of £100, even though the cost to run the service is the same. Hope that makes sense.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

I think it's a bit a bullshit to call the railway a "rich mans toy". Commuting certainly is, but travel in general is not. Far be it for me to defend ATOC, but there are cheap fares out there and it is by far and the way the best method of travel if you are willing to vary your travel time or date.
Sure, but there aren't that many trips that you can plan a week or more in advance and that leave at funny times of the day. This is definitely a market but it's not a very big one, and you often see trains defended for their social benefits, as a way of helping people who can't afford cars, or who can't drive for whatever reason, move around the country. But they're actually not at all good at that, and the stupid expense of walk-on fares is one reason (though not the only one, of course - they only go to rail stations, obviously).

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp

Zephro posted:

Sure, but there aren't that many trips that you can plan a week or more in advance and that leave at funny times of the day. This is definitely a market but it's not a very big one, and you often see trains defended for their social benefits, as a way of helping people who can't afford cars, or who can't drive for whatever reason, move around the country. But they're actually not at all good at that, and the stupid expense of walk-on fares is one reason (though not the only one, of course - they only go to rail stations, obviously).

It was actually cheaper for me to drive to london from portsmouth than get a train a couple of years back. Haven't looked since.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Munin posted:

Having just been reminded of [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alptransit] what are the current prospects of shifting more freight traffic to rail? There is always a lot of talk about the environmental and other costs of hauling so much stuff by truck but any attempt to promote rail over road freight seems to get shot down.

I'd like to answer this one if I may? A lot of freight goes to unusual places without overhead power. This means it is more practical to haul freight by diesel the whole way than to change locomotive when you run out of overhead lines.

This is why there are big plans to extend electrification in the UK network at the same time as clearing all the platforms, tunnels, bridges and viaducts for the heavier vehicle loads and bigger swept envelope of a freight train. This is quite a task, especially if you want to go through Standedge tunnel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jut posted:

It was actually cheaper for me to drive to london from portsmouth than get a train a couple of years back. Haven't looked since.
It's hard to do a proper straight-up comparison because if you want to be really :spergin: about it you need to consider the cost of insurance, road tax, MOTs, servicing and the fact that you can't do anything while driving other than driving, but given that those are sunk costs for anyone who already owns a car, yeah, it's very often cheaper unless you book three weeks in advance and don't mind leaving at five in the morning.

• Locked thread