Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

josh04 posted:

"activating an automatic derailment"?

The theory is that instead of allowing a train to go through a red signal and into the path of another train, you stop it safely by dumping it off the track before it conflicts with anything else. Particularly with runaways; when they were first installed most goods wagons had only hand brakes and might occasionally go for a wander of their own accord.

It's neater if you've got the space to build effectively an extra siding to send it down instead of just dumping it in the ballast, but both work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presumably derailing fucks the track up a bit. And in this case the overhead line pylon.

I thought the class 165 would be able to stop if it passed a red though without having to derail?

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
I suspect the overhead pylon wasn't there when the track layout was designed.

My understanding is that you can have smaller overlaps and signals closer to junctions if anything that passes the signal cannot intersect other traffic.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Incorrect. You only need trap points to protect against vehicles running away when stabled for a length of time. The line is a siding, used to be used for stabling locos back in the day.

If you want a shorter overlap you use a reduced (based on speed) overlap or a restricted overlap (protected by approach releasing the signal in rear).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36805973

Claire Perry has resigned.

Pinball Jizzard
Jun 23, 2010

Brovine posted:

The theory is that instead of allowing a train to go through a red signal and into the path of another train, you stop it safely by dumping it off the track before it conflicts with anything else. Particularly with runaways; when they were first installed most goods wagons had only hand brakes and might occasionally go for a wander of their own accord.

It's neater if you've got the space to build effectively an extra siding to send it down instead of just dumping it in the ballast, but both work.

Very rarely do you have a set of mainline catch points. The cases that I'm aware that they are installed are for run backs on steep hills (Outside Gloucester for instance). More often than not, sidings will have catch points just beyond either exit signal to prevent run-away wagons or trains.

Interlocking and line separation are the primary forms of mainline defence; with the addition of AWS and TWS to onboard systems to further prevent it happening.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Anyone else heard the rumour that NR have spent all their money for control period five - the money that was meant to last until 2018?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
As a matter of interest, is there a reason the Great West line seems to slow to a walking pace once it's into Somerset? It seems weird that Brunel's line is good enough for 125mph for two thirds of its length and suddenly turns into a scenic railway.

(Yes I know technically Brunel only surveyed the line personally as far as Bristol but he was still involved long enough to do the Albert Bridge and piss about with vacuum cleaners at Dawlish)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Endjinneer posted:

Anyone else heard the rumour that NR have spent all their money for control period five - the money that was meant to last until 2018?

if it is it's probably buried in all the reports that the government dumped into public today

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Honesty pays. http://metro.co.uk/2016/07/28/this-might-be-the-best-train-announcer-excuse-ever-6034947/

https://twitter.com/geoff1978/status/758555967667769344

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

A good start to the morning...

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

A good start to the morning...

Agreed. Any day that one cannot get to London is a good day.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
So what is the verdict of Chris Grayling's plans. Good or bad? Also is this new to anyone in the company?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

brakanjan posted:

So what is the verdict of Chris Grayling's plans. Good or bad? Also is this new to anyone in the company?

I don't know about the vertical integration part, but gently caress him for going back on transferring metro services to TfL for party political reasons. I hope no Tories ever get elected at any level in south London again because of it.

Tl;dr: Southern are a bunch of cunts that have brought my partner to tears more than once

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
New mobile phone based ticket machines, slower than the old PDA based ticket machines :thumbsup:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Since I've moved to Brussels I've grown to dislike touch screen ticket machines - the ones for the metro/tram/bus here were installed before them and have a big dial to control what you want and big buttons to go forward and back. I mean they're a bit slow (although cards process quicker here for some reason) but there's a lot less dicking around because the screen isn't calibrated properly or because it's broken.

Basically modern technology manages to somehow be worse in every way for ticket machines

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

So many ticket machines are garbage. Why can't you buy more than one ticket at once when using a 16-25 railcard? Why don't all the machines at Victoria sell tickets for the Beckenham line (and most why do they silently reject your card instead of telling you they can't?) why are they all so slow? Why are there 50 different tickets to Brighton from London Bridge, and no departure boards near the machines leaving you to guess what the correct one is. So many questions

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Instead of making you explore the various paths through the ticket and railcard options they should make you say what journey you want, what cards you have, then display all the options(with live train times!) so you can pick one.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I generally buy my tickets online and in advance, though I basically ignore the return journeys suggestion that quickest way to Portsmouth from London is via Southern and Victoria because gently caress that poo poo

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Belgium railways are poo poo but they do some cool things that I like - one of them is that on the newer trains they have LCD info screens that display live departure info for the next station just before you are going to arrive, which I imagine would be pretty handy. It's also funny because it also changes languages when you cross the internal borders - Dutch in Flanders, French in Wallonia and alternating between the two in Brussels.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

IceAgeComing posted:

Belgium railways are poo poo but they do some cool things that I like - one of them is that on the newer trains they have LCD info screens that display live departure info for the next station just before you are going to arrive, which I imagine would be pretty handy. It's also funny because it also changes languages when you cross the internal borders - Dutch in Flanders, French in Wallonia and alternating between the two in Brussels.

this is coming to uk railways courtesy of the digital railway strategy (http://digitalrailway.co.uk), not sure when but it's been in testing since at least last year when i went to a conference about it

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
My TOC has recently changed from PDA based Avantix ticket machines for retail staff to Star Mobile smartphone based platform. Somehow it's worse than tech over a decade old, seemingly faulty by design to circumvent conductor's commission (coupled with the fact a lot of TOC's are enforcing condition 6 and also booking offices still issue traditional tickets whilst on board tickets now use half the rainforest).

Locally our depot is taking a beating too, the local paper is leading a witch hunt against any cancellations: the company blames staff shortages but won't recruit anymore staff, so the staff who do turn up like myself just get all the grief about the absentees.

Even though it would kill off the salary progression I'd take BR Mark 2 in a heartbeat right now.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bacon Terrorist posted:

My TOC has recently changed from PDA based Avantix ticket machines for retail staff to Star Mobile smartphone based platform. Somehow it's worse than tech over a decade old, seemingly faulty by design to circumvent conductor's commission (coupled with the fact a lot of TOC's are enforcing condition 6 and also booking offices still issue traditional tickets whilst on board tickets now use half the rainforest).

Locally our depot is taking a beating too, the local paper is leading a witch hunt against any cancellations: the company blames staff shortages but won't recruit anymore staff, so the staff who do turn up like myself just get all the grief about the absentees.

Even though it would kill off the salary progression I'd take BR Mark 2 in a heartbeat right now.

Is this local paper based in the Cul-de-Sac of the North? I have a pretty good idea who you're referring to

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hezzy posted:

Is this local paper based in the Cul-de-Sac of the North? I have a pretty good idea who you're referring to

It is indeed!

You win an excellent picture of one of our heritage sets taken by an enthusiast:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-walker/31296670993/in/photostream

I actually worked that set early in the day, it failed before the day was out :allears:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Bacon Terrorist posted:

It is indeed!

You win an excellent picture of one of our heritage sets taken by an enthusiast:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mark-walker/31296670993/in/photostream

I actually worked that set early in the day, it failed before the day was out :allears:

That thing always rattles the poo poo out of the BTP office windows at Lancaster

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Yeah it rattles the poo poo out of all and sunder, waking up entire villages as it passes early in the morning, to the point where environmental health are involved. My colleagues have told me entering the engine room whilst it is running is 'unpleasant' to say the least.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Unions balloting guards and drivers for strike on Northern and Merseyrail franchises ahead of what the RMT has called 'a spring and summer of discontent' regarding Driver Only Operation (DOO for short, rebranded as DCO to confuse issues).

With regards to the Northern franchise implementation of DOO, apparently it was estimated prior to the franchise commencement that it would take 12 days of strike action to break the unions. Guess we're going to find out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Unions balloting guards and drivers for strike on Northern and Merseyrail franchises ahead of what the RMT has called 'a spring and summer of discontent' regarding Driver Only Operation (DOO for short, rebranded as DCO to confuse issues).

With regards to the Northern franchise implementation of DOO, apparently it was estimated prior to the franchise commencement that it would take 12 days of strike action to break the unions. Guess we're going to find out.

If Northern get rid of their conductors then nobody is going to bother buying tickets... Half the platforms are unmanned and have no ticket barriers.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

OwlFancier posted:

If Northern get rid of their conductors then nobody is going to bother buying tickets... Half the platforms are unmanned and have no ticket barriers.

This is true though even on rural lines the plan is to implement more barriers by the end of this year now that the franchise has become more revenue dependent. They will still likely have revenue protection going out on trains but only at peak times and with no safety training.

The subsidy reduction/revenue dependence is one of the reasons you may have noticed Duo tickets were phased out in September, replaced with off peak fares. This is because they're now pushing the enforcement of condition 6 aka buy before you board where possible so they can financially penalise passengers who don't.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Red 43, produced by the RSSB regarding DOO emergency situations, revoked from several TOCs safety briefs, has leaked online:

https://d3lkew8zknjt1t.cloudfront.net/butotv/live/videos/ZVL33/1/Jjyw3/Jjyw3_1200.mp4?_=1460029662

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
This is a video that perfectly captures the experience of travelling on a late night weekend service

https://twitter.com/DougieStew/status/835845404734414848

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
I was beginning to believe that travelling on great northern would start to return a person to a pre-fuedal era state of unbridled anarchy, but I didn't see bread-worship coming.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hezzy posted:

This is a video that perfectly captures the experience of travelling on a late night weekend service

https://twitter.com/DougieStew/status/835845404734414848

I like the way the instigator of the whole thing then posted a video on twitter of her buying the bagels, thus providing more evidence to the world if the police were investigating :allears:

Northern RMT ballot over DOO returned massive yes vote today, first strike date Monday 13th March 2017 for those of you affected.

Bacon Terrorist fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 28, 2017

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Zephirus posted:

I was beginning to believe that travelling on great northern would start to return a person to a pre-fuedal era state of unbridled anarchy, but I didn't see bread-worship coming.

He's got a bagel
On his head

He's got a bagel
On his head

He's got a bagel on his head

"gently caress off! Get the gently caress out of my face!"
- BagelHead, 2017

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B3B97kWs2_IkOVJZYkloUi1ER2M

Well, that looks pretty hosed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I guess it was probably weakened by the battering it will have got last thursday

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not a wall expert but it doesn't look like the sort of thing you'd build if you wanted to hold earth back

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Didn't Bozza do the design work for the Lime Street approach only a year ago? Did any warning signs show up on the surveys?

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Bozza's a signalling engineer. Politely, they're like the witch doctors in the railway engineering tribe. They traffic in a world that touches only lightly on our own, concerning themselves with the rites of flank protection and the proper ways to appease the sighting committee. Something as mundane as a collapsing wall wouldn't even register.

What you've got here is a typical railway geotechnical engineering headache. It's a Victorian era earthwork which was almost certainly designed using the "suck it and see" approach because more advanced methods didn't exist then. Typically they have a terrifyingly low factor of safety and the railway network is littered with these timebombs, just waiting for an extremal rainfall event to flop over. Dawlish, Farnham and that one in the Midlands where the tunnel mouth came down last year are all recent examples.

This one is compounded because it's likely that the railway land doesn't extend beyond the cutting. Network Rail have no right of access to the land adjacent or right to control what gets put on it. You can see from the aerial picture that the slope failure plane extends back probably five metres from the cutting so anything closer than that- portakabins or fridge mountains for example, is going to add load to the cutting walls.

Some poor bastard is going to spend the next five years of week nights between about 0200 and 0530 (when the electrified wires can be isolated because the trains aren't running) spidering over every single square foot of these walls trying to work out how the hell to tell if they're going to fall down before said poor bastard is retired and safely out of blame's way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Endjinneer posted:

This one is compounded because it's likely that the railway land doesn't extend beyond the cutting. Network Rail have no right of access to the land adjacent or right to control what gets put on it. You can see from the aerial picture that the slope failure plane extends back probably five metres from the cutting so anything closer than that- portakabins or fridge mountains for example, is going to add load to the cutting walls

I remember in the Network Rail documentary series a few years back they showed a section of track that had flooded after heavy rain and an engineer was stood trackside, pointing out the drainage the landowners had installed to take all the water away from their land, straight onto the track.
And then Network Rail have to foot the bill for the delays.

• Locked thread