Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Bozza posted:

Stuff like use of Standard Gauge (seemingly obvious, but Spain/Portugal uses Iberian gauge and Russian Gauge stopped the Nazis!)

We should be using Brunel's broadgauge :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

My sister has literally stopped talking to me due to me pointing out exactly that with regards to complaining about British Rail.

(I may have also said I'd run round her garden dressed as a nazi waving a candle and shouting coke slogans because she missed the olympic torch relay)

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

mrpwase posted:

I just spent the night in Leeds station after a gig, and let me just say - whoever designed benches with armrests so you couldn't lie down on them needs to go to jail for a very long time. And yeah I know why they did it, and that's still my view.

Also First Great Western can't afford coaches with automatic doors, it's like travelling in the 1950s, but more expensive and less on time.

They were built in the 1970s and I believe are the oldest mainline express trains in use in western Europe. The Free Market, everyone.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

If they put in automatic doors and FGW hadn't completely ruined their sets they wouldn't be terrible.

I hadn't actually thought of them like that before, as merely a structure/shell rather than a train as a whole. I guess it makes sense, when put that way.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I'm not sure about having the beans in a little pot!

It means you don't get beans mixed up with anything else unless you want to. That's the tipping point from good fryup to a boss as gently caress fryup.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Chocolate Teapot posted:

No, the buses were retired decades ago.

I remember catching Leyland Nationals to school a little over ten years ago, so not quite as long ago as you'd think.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Bozza posted:

Network Rail had just spent £3bn rebuilding the fibre network from when it got privatised last time... Fucks sake.

Do wonder how long it is before we come under scrutiny. My department is basically an internal contractor which directly competes against the private sector...

Torys are getting nostalgic for potters bar and are going for a reboot.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Congrats on being a massive throwback I guess.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Well if I am then I am. Just don't complain next time your train is cancelled because 'a member of train crew is unavailable' :allears:

gently caress off back to the 19th century mate.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Have you considered not being a massive shitlord about your coworkers?

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

They'd been gone on the Great Western Line out of Paddington for so long I could barely remember actually being in such a carriage

The HSTs are all slam door same as all mk3 carriages and still run out of Paddington on the great western lines.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Do they not? They make up all the fast services to Reading and beyond.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why are they all so fixated on getting the regions to compete with each other? The rail network already has competition, it's called "every other form of transport", and that's why - three times now in a century - the competing entities have had to be amalgamated, nationalised, or both. It it rose-tinted, Major-style hankering for LNER and the GWR competing to have the fastest trains, just plain Thatcherite markets-worship, or both? How do they justify repeating the same mistakes?

It's a relatively simple case of More Money For Us, gently caress You.

• Locked thread