Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Bozza, do you have any figures for the annual subsidies given to the train operating companies? I can't help but think that billions of pounds are being handed to the likes of Stagecoach and passed straight on to shareholders as dividends rather than being used in any way to, you know, subsidise train fares.

I don't use trains that often these days, but I do know that the price of an off-peak Bournemouth/London return (with a Zone 1 travelcard) has risen from about £36 circa 2004 to almost £60 now. And that the seats in the shiny new rolling stock are as hard as loving planks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Venmoch posted:

When I lived over in Japan I had no problems whatsoever with the privately owned Tobu line granted this was a few years ago but the private lines still seem subject to some severe requirements. But like many things, "your mileage may vary"
When I went to Japan around 1998, the train from Narita into Tokyo sounded like the original Starship Enterprise going to Warp 8, which I thought was incredibly cool. :v:

The whole 'different train companies running along the same route' is just as lovely and confusing as in England, though. Especially when you get off at what you think is the right station, but you're three miles from where you expected to be because the name of a station on one line doesn't necessarily match its neighbour on the other.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

ookiimarukochan posted:

The only time I was burned by that - JR Sagamihara vs Odakyuu Sagamihara (where the stations are on opposite sides of the city and there's no simple way to get from one to the other) the routes are entirely different - in fact I don't know of any point where you have 2 companies on the same
track in Japan (with the exception of a few services which start off as a private railway, go into the Tokyo Metro, then come out again)
It was going from Tokyo to Chiba where I got lost; from what I remember, two different companies run parallel routes, sometimes with the stations right next to each other (but not directly connected). Adding to the fun, every station seemed to be called Chiba-something, like having every tube station prefixed with London. (And outside Tokyo, the signs stopped being in English.)

I'm extremely grateful for the Japanese desire to use their English skills by helping clueless Westerners get to where they meant to go.

• Locked thread