Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
quick question about Crossrail: is it going to replace FGW's suburban services between Reading and Paddington? Because two stopping trains an hour between Reading and Paddington is... what we already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Desiderata posted:

Just got a Manchester to Llandudno train. I did not know we still ran carriages where you have to lean out the window to open the door handle. Still a nicer than a Pacer though.

I remember when I was working in Birmingham, must have been 1998, and they had the slam door carriages on the Lichfield - Redditch line. They'd been gone on the Great Western Line out of Paddington for so long I could barely remember actually being in such a carriage

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Blacknose posted:

The HSTs are all slam door same as all mk3 carriages and still run out of Paddington on the great western lines.

like HSTs would ever stop at Slough or Burnham

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

landofcake posted:

I think some of them do, I've definitely got off an HST at Slough before (I don't plan to repeat it, it's Slough).

it was exceptionally rare, most fast Intercity services to the West Country and Wales never stop at Slough, but HSTs/express services that head to Hereford/Oxford/Worcester do but I moved out of Slough years ago - I think they've put some of those 125s on the express services. There was one shining moment in 1998/9 during the early years of Virgin Trains when there was one HST service a day from Paddington to Glasgow Central which stopped at Slough

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

"some idiot on twitter" posted:

"@GWRHelp stuck on the train into #londonpaddington going to miss an event I've paid for, really annoyed!"

a train may have derailed, people may have been hurt or injured or worse, but I have a thing to go to and my needs are more important than theirs

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I generally buy my tickets online and in advance, though I basically ignore the return journeys suggestion that quickest way to Portsmouth from London is via Southern and Victoria because gently caress that poo poo

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I remember in the Network Rail documentary series a few years back they showed a section of track that had flooded after heavy rain and an engineer was stood trackside, pointing out the drainage the landowners had installed to take all the water away from their land, straight onto the track.
And then Network Rail have to foot the bill for the delays.

my favourite part from that documentary (if it's the same one) was some ginger twat at King's Cross absolutely ripping into Network Rail for the bank holiday delays and closures and that they should be working at night that weekend, which then cut to a scene of engineers working on the track at night

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/go2lisa/status/849311750163976194

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, what? It can be cheaper not to use a Railcard? How?

The pricing of railway tickets remains utterly bewildering to me. There must be someone out there who understands it but it's not me.

I want to say that there's a glitch with the ticket machine and it's simply got the prices round the wrong way, but this is the UK in the 21st Century so anything's plausible

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Would electrification of those branches be worth it, they're not particularly long after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Why do so many train stations not have enough ticket machines? Victoria is awful. And why are the machines so bad?

Burnham station in Slough has one machine and one person staffing the office, which is great at non-rush hour but I've seen the queue for tickets be about 20 or 30 people deep on a Monday morning

• Locked thread