Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Orange Devil posted:

Is this really true though? Because the same is said about Dutch rail all the time.

Speaking of, I think I asked this before but I don't know if I got an answer (plus I forgot if I did) but a couple years back there was talk of sending my dad (knooppuntcontroller, literal translation: junction controller, basically he gets paid to do nothing if everything goes well, but as soon as poo poo hits the fan he needs to get the right materiel and people in the right place to sort poo poo out and keep to the schedule as much as possible) to the UK due to some cooperation project and Dutch rail was going to (possibly?) start operations in England. As far as I know Dutch rail is currently active in Poland under the Nedkoleje name and Germany, and the Czech Republic as well as England under the name Abellio Rail. Do you know anything about them and could you talk about them? Anything at all would be appreciated cus I'm genearlly interested in what Dutch rail is up to.

Also, who controls the stations in the UK? Again for Dutch rail, in recent years building a lot of office complexes above or closely around stations on land owned by Dutch rail has been one of their most succesful activities. Is anything similar happening in the UK?

Abellio have just taken over the East Anglia franchise under the name Greater Anglia as was mentioned earlier - they also own 50% of Northern Rail (possibly the worst franchise of the lot but for reasons beyond its owner) and Merseyrail alongside shitco extraordinaire Serco. They also run some buses apparently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abellio_(transport_company)

quote:

Recently there was one example where the subsidy was exactly the same as the profits. Can't remember who it was though.

AFAIK it was First, who also run ScotRail and get tonnes of subsidy through that. That particular franchise is being retendered in 2014. Transport Scotland have introduced a universal non-commerical branding for Scotrail trains and there's been some other mumblings which lead an optimistic mind to imagine there's still time for the Scottish Government to take it over, though I imagine it's much more likely to go to the SNP's homophobic cronies at Stagecoach unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

While this is cool, I do wish they were planning to electrify out to Swansea. From now on I get the feeling I'm going to have to change at Cardiff every time I want to head to Bristol or London.

You shouldn't, because some of the new Intercity Express Trains the government is ordering should be electro-diesels - that is, once they stop at the edge of electrification the pantograph comes down and they go on into non-electrified territory. Of course, this means they have to lug around big diesel engines and fuel for the majority of their electrified journey, but this government doesn't have to pay for that so pffff.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Endjinneer posted:

Munin posted:

Having just been reminded of Alptransit what are the current prospects of shifting more freight traffic to rail? There is always a lot of talk about the environmental and other costs of hauling so much stuff by truck but any attempt to promote rail over road freight seems to get shot down.

I'd like to answer this one if I may? A lot of freight goes to unusual places without overhead power. This means it is more practical to haul freight by diesel the whole way than to change locomotive when you run out of overhead lines.

This is why there are big plans to extend electrification in the UK network at the same time as clearing all the platforms, tunnels, bridges and viaducts for the heavier vehicle loads and bigger swept envelope of a freight train. This is quite a task, especially if you want to go through Standedge tunnel.

I think he was more asking about why it's difficult to convince people to switch to railfreight rather than roadfreight, rather than the specfics of rail's green credentials. However, rail always tends to be greener than roads for freight no matter what locomotives you use simply because (I think) it uses the power more efficiently and is less start-stop.

There are a lot of problems with railfreight compared to roadfreight. There's the obvious one of needing a rail connection, which fewer and fewer companies have access to nowadays. This means that goods need to be trucked - usually in containers nowadays - to and from the nearest railhead at either end. This rules out a lot of short and medium-distance freight, as it's often easier to just cut out the middle bit and use trucks the whole way.

The reason barely any companies have a rail connection anymore, though, is the collapse of "wagonload" freight. In days gone by, you could hire a suitable wagon from BR or whatever, load your goods onto it in a siding and shove it onto the back of a suitably train when it arrived. Usually these were dedicated wagonload freight trains, but sometimes they were passenger trains with freight wagons shoved on the back! This train would eventually end up at a marshalling yard where it would be broken up and the wagons distributed amongst a whole bunch of different trains going to different places. It might have been going directly to the wagon's destination, or to a closer marshalling yard, where the same process might happen again and so on, until it finally got to its destination. As you can imagine, this was slow and very labour intensive. Beeching-era rationalisations and modernisations couldn't save the wagonload network, the vast majority of which was shut down in the 90s.

There's a lot of other factors and bad decisions that contributed to this, and before you get the idea that this was some sort of foregone conclusion in the modern age, many European countries still run variously successful wagonload networks. However, it is certainly true that rail is much more suited to "trainload" flows - that is, a whole train's worth of goods from one place to another with no fussing about in between. It's thanks to this that you rarely, if ever, see a coal lorry travelling down the motorway - coal has been a mainstay of the rail network since its inception, and other aggregates and things like fuel are still quite well represented.

I mentioned containers earlier, and these are a method of bridging the gap - you can have a trainload of containers going from one place to another, but each container can be from a different company. You still have the problem of getting it to and from the container terminal in the first place, but it's a good solution and is probably the biggest growth sector in railfreight at the moment and very exciting (to certain people...) Many hauliage companies like Eddie Stobart and WH Malcolm use these trains as "trunk routes" in their network. Railfreight companies are even discussing "urban freight," where passenger stations and sidings in central locations might come back into use for freight just like in the wagonload days. This is of course a direct challenge to roadfreight companies for whom urban deliveries are a core business.

Finally, we mustn't forget the role that privatisation played. Along with all the fragmentation and disruption that had been going on for decades, real damage was caused with the huge disruption that followed the Hatfield crash. Hundreds of crippling speed restrictions had to be enforced throughout the network, destroying railfreight performance and presumably resulting in many unhappy customers who made the decision (or had the decision made for them) that they'd have to switch to road. Moving to railfreight is often a big risk, with large investment needed for a decision which might not even end up saving money, so reputational damage like that was the last thing the sector needed.

However, the NR-era railway is constantly improving and a lot of the damage has worn off now. Railfreight is growing pretty fast already and with roads becoming increasingly congested, road travel becoming very expensive and pollution becoming an ever-important issue, it's is probably going to develop rapidly over the next few years.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 11, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

GuestBob posted:

Are you, by any chance, an oil rig worker?

Also, outside London, there are other reasons to make use of trains:

Except if you really want to do that properly, don't go in that multicoloured modern rubbish: use one of the only daily steam services left in the UK, the Jacobite.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That undergrowth looks suspiciously not dead and burnt for a regular steam service

Well it is seasonal - perhaps this is one of the earlier runs of the summer.

On a related note, here's a picture from what some characters in a Stewart Lee routine would call the "good old days."

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Here's another oddity with fare increases that you don't hear about very much. When they happen, you hear on the news about how there's an "average" increase of X%. Obviously, this means some fares will go up more and some will go up less, but ultimately the TOC has no incentive to totally gouge some routes and no others, cos the average increase cap will mean they make no extra money, right?

Nope - the averages are calculated using old passenger data (and that's not just because they've not done a survey since, I think it's from a few years ago) so the TOCs are incentivise to absolutely gouge lines which have seen massively increased risership as they can make much more money this way. loving stupid, isn't it?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Does anyone know about the signallers' dispute in Stirling? It sounds a lot like NR are just dragging their feet but all I know is that RMT says they want to move to 12 hour shifts, but I've no idea what the current situation is nor what the reasoning for this is.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Char posted:

I would love to read every word that you have to say on the subject of level crossings.

I literally have an entire book devoted to the history of level crossings. It's amazing, if a bit depressing since the "rulebook written in blood" maxim applies in a particularly strong and grizzly way for level crossings.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Iohannes posted:

Bozza, I have a question I've been wanting answered for about 15 years. In about 1994 or 95 I started noticing that station platforms had little white squares with what looked like a red slider in them just above the ballast. The best picture I can find of them is this:

It's the thing down and to the left of the big yellow thing in the middle.

What are they?

I only found this out recently myself - as far as I know, they record the track's vital statistics like cant and twist along with what should be the measurement from the red slidery thing to the track itself so that someone can come along and check it from time to time. Keeping these measurements strict is obviously rather important near platforms where slight errors can (and do) result in nasty scrapes.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Ras Het posted:

I can see you hold no financial responsibility at your job...

Or, more likely, that gauge clearance isn't what he happens to work on?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Munin posted:

The "too" there is rather misleading...

Btw, I know moving block signalling turned into a total disaster but is there really no way to use the improved tracking capabilities offered by GPS and modern comms technology to provide some sort of improvement over the existing system?

Yes, there is.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Emsee posted:

Labour in considering good idea shocker?

Labour backs plans to return railway network to public control

From what I've read it seems like a step in the right direction, even if it is quite a few years off, with the current franchises having multiple years left to run. Of course it's more than likely that Labour remember they don't want to be seen to be representing Union interests, receive entirely unrelated donations from shareholders in major TOCs or just gently caress up the next election. But still, a glimmer of hope? Maybe?

They're "considering" it - I assume they'll water down the proposals or just chuck them in the manifesto and never come back to them again. Just, in fact, like they did before on this exact issue.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Hezzy posted:

Looks like First Group are getting the West Coast Mainline franchise. Wonder what units they're going to be using.

As far as I know they're more or less locked (possibly legally and definitely practically) into using the current ones for pretty much the whole of the franchise.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

If you're wanting hard hitting interviews then a breakfast program isn't exactly the best place to be looking dude.

Not on the telly, anyway.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

TinTower posted:

The way that TOCs can variate by 5%, does this mean what I think it does and allow them to raise fares on a barely used branch by 1.2% and slap major commuter routes with an 11.2% rise?

Theoretically no - like someone said, it's weighted by traffic. Unfortunately, the traffic figures it's weighted by are relatively old so the TOC, with it's near real-time information, therefore knows which lines have grown the most and can absolutely hammer them to maximise the money they get from fare increases.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

High speed rail is ALWAYS a red herring. The majority of travel in any country is relatively short distance commuting and shopping. And you can't maintain high speed speeds when you have to have your train stopping every 5-15 minutes for the next station, which is what you need to adequately serve the majority of travel.

Say you live 30 miles from the city you commute to. If your train averages 80 mph on the way there, then hell that's already a lot faster than it's legal to drive probably, and you're there in 22 minutes. Drive that in average traffic and you'll probably take twice as long if not more.

Building out a total of say, 200 miles of new routes for service in and around a city is a much better use of resources than building or upgrading 200 miles of route to a high speed standard. You'd get way more people using that than the high speed intercity route.

Like consider Japan, they have the Shinkansen which is of course their absurdly fast and extensive high speed rail network. But out of 22.24 billion passenger trips taken in a year on their whole rail network, only 151 million of them were on the high speed rail. That's about 0.6% of the trips taken.

I think the reason people focus on HSR in the US is because the suburban sprawl makes commuter rail in a lot of the country totally infeasible. Much easier to set yourself a relatively achievable goal like eliminating some domestic air travel than to attempt to challenge 50 years of received town planning wisdom.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 16, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Iohannes posted:

If you want to know how poo poo our transport system is: you can't even leave the country easily without using a car.

Of the 19 UK airports listed by Wikipedia as airports of entry only the following have train connections:
1. Birmingham
2. London City
3. London Gatwick
4. London Heathrow
5. London Stansted
6. Manchester
7. Newcastle
8. Southampton

I'm not counting Dyce (for Aberdeen), Rhoose (for Cardiff) or London Luton Parkway because, despite their proximity, for foot passengers they're loving useless, often being at the end of the runway or in a village that borders the airport, not at the terminal.

What you'll notice is that fewer than half have proper train connections and outside of London (including Stansted) four airports have them. There are no train connections for international airports in the following constituent countries of the United Kingdom: Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales. Not one of the four airports in Scotland (popn. 5 million) has a train connection. Need to fly from a Scottish airport? Hope you've got money for the cab fair.*

This is loving ridiculous.

* some buses are available dependant upon road works and whether FirstGroup and/or Stagecoach feel like it.

The Edinburgh express bus is pretty good, and some service buses stop there too. And there might be a tram one day...

John_Anon_Smith posted:

I remember getting the overnight to London down the east coast. It was just me and this cockney guy in a carriage where the temperature periodically oscillated between 5C and 30C. We spent the entire journey removing and replacing jumpers and jackets for the entire night until we finally arrived at Liverpool St.

You mean Euston. Never let it be said I'm not good at what I do...

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 25, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

nm posted:

In the US the rail companies actually have a private police force that seems to be unique in that they have the same powers as government employed police (right of arrest, etc).

As far as I know the British Transport Police are state "owned" for want of a better word, but funded by the train companies.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Hezzy posted:

They're punishing Virgin for being uppity by taking away the profit they'll make between now and December.

I think they're actually contingency planning for if the court battle runs past the December handover date - if it does, I think the plan would be that Virgin hands over to DOR and then DOR hands over to whoever wins (probably still First.) I wonder if First is allowed to sue Virgin for lost earnings if this happens? Probably not.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

And don't get some idea that a the state running a single franchise is better than a private company - the true benefits of nationalisation can only be realised if everything goes in, both with regards to efficiency and the welfare of passengers an staff.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

kingturnip posted:

I'm guessing freight trains have a similar sort of dead-man's switch that passenger trains have, right? I sometimes hear passengers - usually kids - asking about the 'ringing sound' when I'm sat at the front of the first carriage, but I'm too much of a miserable gently caress to bother explaining it.

There's a dead man's pedal which must be depressed at all times, and must be reset every few minutes (I believe.) In addition to that, there's the Automatic Warning System (AWS). That's probably the beeping you hear - on approach to a signal, a beep (or sometimes a bell or buzzer) will sound - one for a green light and a different one for a yellow or red light. If the driver fails to acknowledge the alert for a yellow/red light within something like 8 seconds, the emergency brakes are automatically applied. And if all THAT wasn't enough, there's also the Train Protection and Warning System (TPWS) which will automatically bring a train to a halt in a safe distance if it passes or is travelling too fast towards a red light - though this is generally only used on new projects and at signals which it's particularly dangerous to pass at danger, like those protecting junctions.

So yeah, all in all he probably wasn't going to cause any harm. Still not a great idea to fall asleep at the controls of a train though - although I imagine he was probably just blinking.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Wow, the government have just relented on their decision to award the WCML to First citing "significant mistakes in the way civil servants calculated the risks for each bid." This is pretty big - I wonder how deliberate the mistakes were. They'll now have to rerun the competition.

One consequence of this is that it now looks certain that, come Decemeber, both west and east coast long-distance services will be under public ownership for the first time since 1997. Under a Tory government. Mental.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19809717

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Zephro posted:

This is literally the first time I've heard of this. How do you persuade a machine to spit one of these out?

As far as I know these are only dispensed from special machines which are unable to dispense proper tickets. The idea is you pay as much money as you can into the machine then swap it with the guard for a ticket on the train, with you paying/being refunded the difference if necessary. I think they date from before ticket machines existed, and were essentially a way of trying to avoid fare-dodging from unstaffed stations as more and more ticket offices closed.

A similar trick kind of exists with ticket machines though - if you can't buy the type of ticket you want at the machine (usually a season ticket) you can buy a ticket along that route to a station which has an office and have the price of the ticket discounted from the total charge for your season ticket.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Bozza posted:

Jonnty has fallen into the TPWS trap (don't worry, so does the loving Rule Book!) however. TPWS retrofit, which was done in a mad panic after Southall and Ladbrooke Grove, meant the grids were fitted to all high risk signals with the aim of reducing the outcome of a SPAD by restricting the potential collision speed. It does not stop trains from SPADing or indeed colliding.

I knew about the not necessarily preventing a SPAD part hence why I said "safe distance" but I didn't realise that on retrofit it was basically aimed at mitigation rather than prevention. Interesting. Cool table too!

e: I've just remembered that the first time I understood what you meant about Christian Woolmar being good on the historic but bad on the modern was when he argued for getting rid of signal overlaps "because we have TPWS now to avoid the need for that." Hmm.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Oct 3, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Are these loops the big yellow things between the rails that you can see as you're leaving Paddington? They are long yellow rectangles covered in muddy bootprints with DO NOT STEP etched into them.

(basically I was wondering what they were and now seems a good time to ask)

Here's some pictures of AWS magnets along with more information about it than you'd ever possibly want to know: http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/aws1/aws1.html

As Bozza said, you'll see them at some point shortly before a signal. And here's some pictures of TPWS loops for completeness: http://www.railsigns.co.uk/info/tpws1/tpws1.html

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Wootcannon posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm only in the southside but they are a bit silly with the price rises as a percentage for that bit of Glasgow. £5-7 of fuel sorts me for a week of travel to work, but that'll just stretch to two returns.

How much does it cost per week if you factor in insurance and tax?

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Blacknose posted:

They were built in the 1970s and I believe are the oldest mainline express trains in use in western Europe. The Free Market, everyone.

And yet they've been re-engined at least once and refurbished multiple times so that's pretty much irrelevant. While new trains are nice, particularly when the old ones have major problems (see Pacers), you've sometimes got to think of them like houses. If there's nothing fundamentally wrong with them, they can go on for ages, though you might need to replace the boiler, put in insulation or give the place a lick of paint from time to time.

HSTs are certainly better than a lot of the modern trains - for example, they don't constantly smell of sewage or have annoying noise and vibration from under-floor engines. What you really ought to be complaining about is FGW's new high-density seating layouts which, I gather, are awful. If you look at East Coast's HSTs, they're pretty nice in both first and standard class because they were refurbished well. In the next few years there's plans to add automatic doors and make the trains disability legislation compliant so they can stay in traffic till after 2020. And I hope they do, because modern long-distance diesel stock is generally pretty crap.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Cerv posted:

It's depressing to know that we'll still be using diesel for long distance trains instead of electric after 2020.

This is of course the main difference with Europe. Though our electric stock isn't too nice either - I've never been in one but I gather the seating layout in Pendolinos are pretty bad for views out of their tiny windows.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

What do you do when the master computer crashes and the train you're on is stranded on a concrete elevation 30m above the ground? Or when it's icy and the ATO system can't compensate for icy rail conditions and your train slides past a station? Or when engineers leave a spanner on the track and the computer driving the train doesn't know it's hit an obstacle?

The train captains (or whatever Serco calls them) are the problem solving element on the train that can fix poo poo on the fly, herd passengers around in emergencies and do all the other things the ancient software running the DLR can't do.

I agree with all this - "driverless" trains are always a misnomer as you always need some level of human supervision. However, it's worth remembering that the only accidents on the DLR have occurred a direct result of human intervention...

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

sweek0 posted:

and the only reason that's not automated is to avoid them not paying attention at all I believe?

Or, you know, to make sure they're not closed into people's faces or so that they drag people along the platform when they leave.

The Heathrow thing is pretty awesome though - I reckon PRT must be the future of transport in this country if anything close to what roads are like now are to still exist in 50 years. With driverless cars you might not even need to do any infrastructure modifications.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

Aren't the doors automated to reopen if they get stuck on something anyway? You see it all the time on the tube where people or their bags get trapped by the closing doors, which promptly reopen.

Yeah, but I can't imagine it's too pleasant and I'm not sure the detection system is foolproof. Plus, at very busy times drivers are needed to slowly draw into the station in case somebody is pushed onto the track.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Also what exactly are these places where drivers know ahead of time someone's going to be pushed on the track? Are criminals issuing threats to push people off the platform direct to the driver?

They go in slowly and stop if they see anyone fall. I don't think it's a particularly hard concept to understand - it's how cars work all the time.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

So why wouldn't you just set the automatic train to always slow a lot going into a station? It's not like trains barrel in at 50 mph or anything in the first place, they need a good distance to stop to avoid overshooting the platform.

Like I'm not understanding how what you're saying is being done different then any other train coming into a station?

Have you ever seen a tube train coming into a platform? They're long enough that they're pretty much doing full speed when they hit the station. Even if you set the ATO to go slowly, you still need the driver to actually look for people falling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UBttMwkrXY&list=UUtqI3OlOeaJ5FFrsUjMDbEQ&index=4&feature=plcp#t=22m35s

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

Tube trains are usually a lot shorter than consists on other systems, in tandem with the platforms being shorter. Also where is the driver looking for people who are falling and how the hell are they going to stop in time? You can't go from full speed to stopped in such short spaces very easily.

They don't go in at full speed. That's the point. Did you watch the video? Although at Tube train speeds you can often stop within sighting distance, so there's still a chance that an accidental fall won't result in a death at full speed.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Install Gentoo posted:

But you just said

Is that supposed to mean the opposite then? The video shows a train coming into station... slowly.

So if it isn't actually a danger then why are you painting it as a special danger of an automated train?

I seriously do not understand in the slightest what you're saying. Is it that automated trains can't be told to slow? Is it that you think automated trains means there's no staff onboard and it'll just steamroll people? What was the video supposed to show? Help me out here.

I was saying that train drivers can explicitly go much more slowly into stations when they feel or are told there is a risk of people falling onto the tracks due to overcrowding, as opposed to the high speed they usually go in. I'm just trying to illustrate how drivers still have duties on ATO trains beyond "just being kept busy."

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

When it gets more serious (ie. in Scotland), there's some other more serious stuff that can happen. Snow and ice can fly up into the undercarriage of trains and cause problems. Ironically, modern units are too good at getting rid of excess heat (and not generating it in the first place), so it stays frozen if it's cold enough, disruptively knocking units out until they thaw up. This led to ScotRail introducing train skirts a few years ago. This ice can also get into the trains' brake equipment, which can potentially be much more serious and was responsible for quite a serious freight train derailment in 2010 and some other near misses. These are quite scary because, as the brakes are just not working, the majority of safety measures we have to prevent crashes are completely useless. There's a lot of rules about periodic brake tests and things which are meant to avoid this, but they obviously cause delays too.

Finally, the ice can freeze up points so they can't change, which can obviously cause absolutely colossal disruption. NR therefore sometimes pre-emptively shuts lower priority routes so that they don't need to change points and risk them freezing the "wrong way." This happened to my local line in the really bad snow a few years back: if the points had been set for it and then frozen, it would have meant no WCML trains could come directly to Edinburgh. Which, as you might imagine, would have been somewhat problematic.

Jonnty fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 18, 2013

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

They worked fine here too:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_73

Worked, because we figured we could throw them away a couple of years ago.

Pretty sure there's still 73s around - in fact NR have bought some/all of them and plans to have them re-engined so they have the same power off the third rail as well as on it, and with less risk of overheating.

In terms of battery locos, there's the LU battery locos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_battery-electric_locomotives) and the NR New Measurement Train, which is basically an old HST, was given a battery for a while as a test (http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/hybrid-technology-enters-the-real-world.html). I also just found out about this, but it doesn't sound like it was too successful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_BEMU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Next time you complain about fare collection policy, be glad it's not as draconian as this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21294241

quote:

The Swiss have long been proud of their railways but a new, strict ticketing policy is turning the love affair sour.

As I write this, I am travelling home watching the sun set over the mountains which flank Lake Geneva.

It is bitterly cold, there has been a good deal of snow, but the train is right on time. It is warm and I have a seat.

I feel pleasantly smug as I look out at the rush hour traffic on the motorway.

I feel smugger still as the aroma of fresh coffee heralds the arrival of the drinks service. Swiss friends often tell me, proudly, that their rail service is the best in the world, but recently, the Swiss love affair with their railway has turned a little sour.

It all began with the decision to abolish ticket sales on trains, though ticket collectors stay. In theory, this should work - you can buy tickets from a machine on the platform, online, or by smartphone.

In practice, it has become a rancorous public relations disaster, and all because of a Byzantine logic over what constitutes a valid ticket, and a policy of issuing huge fines to passengers who do not have one.
Take, for example, the young man with a ticket which must be date-stamped by a machine on the platform. The machine is out of order, so he carefully writes in the date by hand, gets on board, and is fined by the conductor for not having a valid ticket.

There is the pensioner, out for a day with his grandson, who kindly bought both their tickets on his mobile phone, but it turns out you are only allowed one e-ticket per person, so poor old granddad is fined.

And then, there is me. One frosty morning I arrived at my local station to find that the ticket machine was broken. No matter, I thought, I have got a smartphone, and I hurriedly set about buying my ticket that way.

This was not as easy as I had hoped, fiddling between credit card and phone with freezing cold fingers, but, by the time I got on the intercity to Geneva I had an e-ticket and I proudly showed it to the conductor.

Unfortunately she was less than impressed and told me in no uncertain terms that my ticket was not valid. Why, only became clear several weeks later when a letter arrived from Swiss railways euphemistically named "revenue protection service".

The good people there tell me the formal payment for my ticket from my credit card company arrived four minutes after my train left the station. That means, they say, that I bought my ticket on the train - and that is not allowed.

Together with the letter was a fine for 190 francs (£133, $210). In vain do I protest that the policy of abolishing ticket sales on trains surely cannot be taken that far? In vain do I point to the broken ticket machine and my paid-for ticket, valid only on that day, for that journey?

And in vain are the protests of the 750 other passengers across Switzerland receiving similar fines every single day.

Swiss railways say their policy is designed to protect honest fare-paying passengers, but a quick look at their balance sheet suggests something else. The company is making an estimated $2 million (£1.26 million) a month from fines.

It is a nice little earner, but it has left a nasty feeling with passengers who believe they are being punished as fare dodgers when in fact they have done their best to buy a ticket.

Some are even taking their cases to court. That should be interesting. Swiss railways versus the people.

In the meantime, although train travel is still popular, those seats do not feel as comfy, the coffee does not smell quite so good - because Swiss railways have lost, for now anyway, something far more precious than $2 million a month: good relations with their customers.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

StarkingBarfish posted:

Yeah, this article is a bit poo poo. The phone-based ticketing system works well and there are dozens of ticket machines at the stations, one breaking doesn't prevent anyone from getting anywhere. Even if they all broke, the stories of people invalidating their tickets by pen and then getting fined by the conductor is a bit silly too. If you board the train and the first thing you do is explain to the conductor what has happened, they're more than happy to invalidate the ticket themselves. It's only if you take the piss and wait a few stops that they'll shaft you.

Swiss trains are thoroughly awesome: They're dirt cheap if you have a 1/2 tarif card which everyone except tourists have, a bit like oyster in london. They're spacious, clean, efficient and frequent. The complaints are just because the swiss don't like change (or immigrants, or poor people, or liberals).

Fair enough. It did sound a bit excessive to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

SybilVimes posted:

But it IS that draconian, loads of people get fined/charged-the-special-'we hate you'-fare by virtue of not being able to buy their tickets at a broken machine.

Hell, I've had it happen to me, although he gave me the option of getting off at the next stop, which was thankfully where I was getting off anyway.

I was thinking more about the e-ticket bought on the train thing, but yeah, I guess it's kind of the same. Although in Scotland even if the machine's working you can buy one on the train, it only really matters if there's a ticket office that's open.

• Locked thread