Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Norrskensren posted:

It was, however, the least comfortable train journey I've ever taken because the air conditioner seemed to be stuck at a permanent, balmy 12 degrees Celsius.

This sounds like heaven to me, especially with the weather lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Metrication posted:

Isn't this a 'what if' kind of thing? That's the way it reads anyway.

Given that it's not July 2014 yet... :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

So juat out of curiosity what is up with the rail line between Leamington Spa and Banbury? Its been closed somewhere for the whole weekend seems like nearly every weekend in the last 6 months. (I live near Oxford, my girlfriend is in Loughborough, I work full time, so I do this route a lot!)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Malcolm XML posted:

the real answer is "because they can"

generally return trips have much more demand and supply so theres more competition to create discount fare classes

one-ways are fairly rarely demanded so travel companies can ream you

I thought there was a specific regulation limiting returns to price of the single plus a pound, or something, at privatisation?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno, I heard they'd had another major landslip recently but I dunno whether it took out part of the line or not. I would guess they must have though because the east coast trains weren't any busier.

How recent? I've been through there more recently than the 1st (couple of weeks ago I think) and it was fine between Birmingham and Oxford at least (after having the area between Leamington and Oxford shut like every weekend for months last year).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

MikeCrotch posted:

I cannot possibly imagine the size of the piles of cocaine that FGW have to shovel in the direction of the Department of Transport in order to keep their franchises. Connex should have paid attention.

It's not FGW any more, it's GWR and it's 'our railway' :downs:
(You know what was actually our railway, guys? British Rail)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Good. I noticed that when they rebranded to GWR and assumed it was a 'please don't renationalise us' campaign just in case Labour does get in at the next election.

• Locked thread