Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Bozza posted:

However, there are other things afoot. We are about to see the electrification of the Great Western Main Line, from London to Cardiff, over the next 8 years, with the first electric services starting to run as soon as 4 years from now.
While this is cool, I do wish they were planning to electrify out to Swansea. From now on I get the feeling I'm going to have to change at Cardiff every time I want to head to Bristol or London.

Mind you, Swansea's in a weird position anyway because it's a terminus station: through trains have to go into the station, then back out again to continue their journey. And as I understand it, the high speed rail line doesn't go into the station, but bypasses it, and therefore never gets used (could someone confirm/deny this? Just something I heard talking to someone on the train).

What Swansea really needs is a new station on that bit of line. Call it Swansea Parkway or something. It'd be out of town, but at least it'd be near the motorway. But I guess there's no money for anything like that now :sigh:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Allan Assiduity posted:

Speaking of rail investment, the Welsh Assembly Government approved the South Wales Metro recently. Any opinions on if the measures it includes would be useful?

If nothing else, electrifying the lines seems like it'd be a positive move?
It seems like a good idea - although as someone who lives in Swansea, every time I see something like this I get the feeling that my adoptive hometown is becoming increasingly marginalised as Newport and the Valleys benefit from their closeness to Cardiff. That's probably just jealousy, though.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

The one that stuck out for me when I was young was SPLAT! Keep off the Tracks. Although weirdly, the bit that really hit home was the scene at the very end where the teacher crossed the girl's name off the register. I hadn't really considered the idea of mortality before that.

• Locked thread