Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
To elaborate on what Bozza's saying: it's very easy to run your shiny bullet-trains with atomic-clock style precision when they have dedicated tracks all to themselves and you're running maybe a couple of them an hour.

It's much harder to ensure the Penzance-to-Paddington express service arrives on time when it has to share track and timetable with the pootling stopping services between Barnstaple and Exmouth, a couple of freight trains, some other express going to Bristol by way of Reading, many of which will be run by a totally different company under the dog's dinner of a system outlined in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The worst train in Britain is the one used by South West Trains on its commuter lines. The seats were designed by a powerful supercomputer to be as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

I went on the Watercress Line (heritage steam railway thing) a couple of years back and was amazed to find little headreasts on the side of the seats in the carriages. Truly progress has gone into reverse in the past 40 years.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

Jet fuel is also massively subsidised by the government if my memory serves me correctly.
There's no excise duty on jet fuel (and no VAT either). Dunno if you pay duty for diesel for railways. It's not so much the government, though, as I understand it, but the various treaties that regulate international air travel that prohibit it. Which is a shame because a tax on jet fuel would be a great way of applying polluter-pays to air travel the same way petrol duty applies it to cars.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

notaspy posted:

Bozza, are trains designed to discourage people falling asleep on them? I ask as all the window ledges are slopped or not wide enough for an elbow and I know every is like me and would love to get a bit of shut eye just before or just after work.
Like I said, if you ever get to sit in a carriage from the 60s or so you will find little headrests on the sides of the seats, so that both the person next to the window and the one next to the aisle can have somewhere to rest their heads and - presumably - sleep. Modern ones are presumably designed to cram the highest number of seats into the smallest amount of space and drat any discomfort that results.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Porphyrogenitos posted:

South-West Trains doesn't even have a bloody wi-fi connection on what is supposedly one of the country's busiest commuter lines (From Bournemouth to Waterloo via Reading)
Yes and no plans to add one either. ~~MARKETS~~

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hot Dog Day #60 posted:

Could you elaborate on why there were such increases in ridership during this time dispute the increase in fares? I understand that the relationship between fare and ridership is inelastic, especially more so for people who have no choice but I don’t know enough about how people get around in the UK.
A few things have probably affected it: there's been a huge drop in road-building in Britain since the 1990s and the Twyford Down protests. The roads are getting more congested, which makes rail more attractive.

Also, London's population started growing again in the 1980s after decades of falling, and its economy has done very well over the past 25 years, sucking in even more workers from the surrounding towns. A huge proportion of UK passenger rail traffic (like a third or more I think) is people commuting into and out of London. Each commuter generates 10 trips on average (2 a day, 5 a week), so population growth in London will boost rail usage disproportionately.

London has also implemented a fairly expensive congestion charge that means only the truly plutocratic can afford to drive in the city on a regular basis.

The Republicans might be interested to know that, for all that people defend railways as a social service, they are used overwhelmingly by the middle class and the rich because the fares are so eye-wateringly high. Even the rail minister has admitted that the railways are basically a "rich man's toy". This probably makes them attractive to the Republicans, of course, since it'll help them keep the poors in their ghettos.

quote:

The increase in ridership can partly be attributed to the end of white flight (to use an Americanism). Taking London as an example, many of the areas inside Inner London that were considered 'undesirable' for decades, such as Hackney and Brixton, are now being gentrified because fleeing to horrible commuter towns like Milton Keynes is no longer the dream; professionals want to live and work in urban communities (even if gentrification destroys said communities), where trains are almost always the most convenient way to travel.
I thought moving out to the commuter towns had only been postponed? People want to live in urban areas, as you say, but the impression I get is that changes when they have kids. The kind of people that can afford to live in gentrified bits of London are the kind of people who will move out to Guildford or whereever to take advantage of the better schools and the ability to own a house with a garden for the sake of their kids.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 9, 2012

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

I think it's a bit a bullshit to call the railway a "rich mans toy". Commuting certainly is, but travel in general is not. Far be it for me to defend ATOC, but there are cheap fares out there and it is by far and the way the best method of travel if you are willing to vary your travel time or date.
Sure, but there aren't that many trips that you can plan a week or more in advance and that leave at funny times of the day. This is definitely a market but it's not a very big one, and you often see trains defended for their social benefits, as a way of helping people who can't afford cars, or who can't drive for whatever reason, move around the country. But they're actually not at all good at that, and the stupid expense of walk-on fares is one reason (though not the only one, of course - they only go to rail stations, obviously).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jut posted:

It was actually cheaper for me to drive to london from portsmouth than get a train a couple of years back. Haven't looked since.
It's hard to do a proper straight-up comparison because if you want to be really :spergin: about it you need to consider the cost of insurance, road tax, MOTs, servicing and the fact that you can't do anything while driving other than driving, but given that those are sunk costs for anyone who already owns a car, yeah, it's very often cheaper unless you book three weeks in advance and don't mind leaving at five in the morning.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Aren't all the New York lines cut-and-cover? That's a lot cheaper than building a double-wide deep line.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Install Gentoo posted:

They're not all cut-and-cover, just mostly. It's cheaper to do, but, honestly cheaping out upfront just causes huge problems forever after.
Ah OK, I thought they all were. I agree with you completely about false economies; see also not using Brunel's gauge on the above-ground railway.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Antinumeric posted:

What advantages to broader gauges actually have? Was Brunel's thing about a smoother ride actually a thing?
Bigger carriages, which would be a massive help on the overcrowded commuter lines.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hey Bozza, is there any way I can find out whether South West Trains are going to pull their rolling stock from out of their fundaments at any point and put some wifi in along some of the busiest commuter routes in the country?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Seaside Loafer posted:

You can always just get a permit to travel from the machine for a quid then you are covered.
This is literally the first time I've heard of this. How do you persuade a machine to spit one of these out?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

South West Trains are poo poo because they charge far too much for what should be well-travelled, densely-used and therefore profitable routes. They're also poo poo because they're trying to abolish buying tickets on trains, forcing you into the colossal queue at Paddington if you made the stupid mistake of not being psychic enough to realise you'd need to travel at short notice. They're poo poo because their revenue protection people basically demand money with menaces. They're poo poo because in the second decade of the 21st century their trains still lack wifi. They play adverts in the trains encouraging everyone to follow them on Twitter just to really drive the point home.

Also the seats on their commuter trains were designed by supercomputers to be as uncomfortable as humanly possible.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The shuttle train between the two terminals at Gatwick is automated, too. Like the Waterloo and City line it just runs between two stations. Pretty sure there are no staff on it to supervise it - early in the morning when there's three people in the train total, none of them looks like a driver, they all look like jet-lagged travellers.

edit: I can't get that daily mail blog to render properly in Firefox, can someone c/p it if it's actually worth reading?

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 11, 2012

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jonnty posted:

The Heathrow thing is pretty awesome though - I reckon PRT must be the future of transport in this country if anything close to what roads are like now are to still exist in 50 years. With driverless cars you might not even need to do any infrastructure modifications.
I really have my doubts about driverless cars. You can only get most of the benefits from redesigning the car itself if they're functional even in most of the edge cases and I just can't see how they will be.

Small personal example - there's a one-lane country road I drive down reasonably often. If you meet someone coming the other way, one of you has to reverse to a passing place. Two of the passing places are so sodden in winter, though, that if don't have a 4x4 you're unlikely to be getting out again without help. That's not obvious just from looking at them, so all the edge-sensing radar in the world isn't going to help a robot car figure out what to do.

As long as those situations are even somewhat common then you'll need some way for the driver to take manual control, and that tends to keep you tied to the 2+2 seating pattern of a modern car.

edit: I mean I can totally see them working on motorways, we've had the tech for that since the 60s. And perhaps in city centres, too. And those will be a big benefit. I just think it's going to be a while, if ever, before you actually have a properly, consistently driverless car, because it seems to me that to deal with all the various situations a car can find itself in you would basically need functional AI before you could build one.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Nov 5, 2012

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

kingturnip posted:

Rather than what? Walking?
Presumably driving? It doesn't strike me as an obviously dumb question. Even if none of your friends happen to be able to drive, it's still far and away the most popular form of transport in the country.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

'embark' is old marine terminology, though I wonder if it was also needless jargon back then.

"deplane" is an abomination and saying it should be grounds for a one-way trip to the gulag :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've done that myself on the Jubilee Line with Canary Wharf and Canning Town when heading into town.

Also that Bethnal Green-Mile End stretch is the longest tunnel between stations on the Underground network. Do I win a golden anorak for knowing that?
I don't think it's even that unusual; I had a friend who lived on the Northern line who used to do this at one or the other of the Mill Hill stations.

Also, re high density seating - who actually designs these? They're built for dwarfs. I'm 5'8 and fairly trim and I struggle to fit comfortably in SWT's commuter seats. If you're over 6 foot or a bit lardy then they're little torture chambers.

• Locked thread