Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Well comrades I'll be going to this, anyone else in the Birmingham area interested (even if it is just to meet Bob)?

Save Your Railway – Public Meeting May 24th

Save your railway – public meeting, Thursday 24th May, 7pm at the Unite Offices, 211 Broad Street, B15 1AY.
Speakers include:

Bob Crow – General Secretary, RMT
Becca Kirkpatrick – Birmingham Trades Union Council

On top of rocketing energy bills, the government wants us to pay inflation busting rail fare increases of up to 30 per cent, or even more – over the next three years.

At the same time, the government’s policy calls for fewer, more overcrowded rail services, ticket office closures, the axing of tens of thousands of front-line railway staff, the break-up of Network Rail into “mini-railtracks” and reduced safety standards.

But the railway companies are being given the green light to make even bigger profits on top of the astonishing £11 billion of your money that has been drained from the industry since privatisation.

Elsewhere in Europe, railways are cheaper and more efficient because they have been kept in a unified structure in the public sector.

Come to the public meeting and discuss how we can save our railways and campaign for a rail network fit for the 21st century.

No Fare Hikes!
No Service Cuts!
Staff Our Stations!

Organised by Birmingham Trades Union Council and the rail unions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Anyone here have London Midland as their local rail company?

They're demanning a bunch of stations and doing various other poo poo that is a bad thing (I'll let the train guys explain it).

Does anyone fancy getting involved in campaigning against it?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Raphus C posted:

I use London Midland. I hate the company with a passion. I have not caught a train that has been on time this week. 99% of the trains I catch every morning are not on time. The people who write timetables do not seem to understand that rush hour may make trains late. Reliably late.

I do not know how many problems are caused by other trains being awful in moving through Birmingham New Street.

They always blame signalling problems. It may be NR causing these problems, or it may be an excuse for congestion. I just wish they would tell me the truth instead of lying.

It's actually a lot of problems, there's a lot of congestion in New Street (and none of this will be fixed by the rebuilding of it, all that is happening is they're putting a bigger shopping centre on top), I think some of the signalling gear is pretty old, but you'd have to get answers from a rail union guy working in the Midlands.

I know London Midland are currently 30 drivers understaffed and are running huge amounts of overtime at the moment to cover the gap, I don't know if that is causing issues beyond drivers doing 12 hours on, 12 hours off, 12 hours on, etc. That immediately doesn't seem safe to me.

London Midland are loving terrible though, and they've cancelled trains that were late in my experience so that they avoid the penalties for making other trains behind them late.

I only think they're ok in comparison to the bearded wonders lot because Virgin trains are so rammed in standard class and so prone to being late.

I'll be leafleting Acocks Green station on behalf of the RMT and rail unions tomorrow about demanning and all the other poo poo they're pulling.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Venmoch posted:

As an interesting aside. I got leafleted by the RMT as part of an TUC/Rail Union day of action. May just have to go to the meeting on Thursday!

http://www.rmt.org.uk/Templates/Internal.asp?NodeID=159286&int1stParentNodeID=89731&int2ndParentNodeID=89763

What city are you in?

Only say that because I was doing some of the leafleting in Birmingham alongside the RMT guys.

• Locked thread