Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Install Gentoo posted:

Edit: The Jubilee Line in London runs trainsets about 4/5 the length of the usual trainsets used on IRT sections of the NYC subway. Each 1996 stock trainset on the Jubilee line is rated to carry 817 people, each R142/R142A trainset used on the various IRT lines can hold about 1800 people per train. With the Jubilee line running at about every 2-3 minutes at peak and the Lexington line (for an example IRT line) running every 3-4 minutes at peak - well there's just no way around it you can fit a lot more people in the latter before you add on that the Lex is 4 track.

Maybe I'm missing something but if the train is 80% of the length but only ~45% of the capacity, the capacity difference doesn't seem to have much to do with the length of the train. Switching to cars which are able to carry more people might be worthwhile, but just tacking on more of the low-capacity cars doesn't seem like a great plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Install Gentoo posted:

The London "deep level tube" train cars are rather small in order to fit the narrow width tunnels they run in. Sadly they've kind of got no real chance of expanding the tunnels for larger cars (which would be ideal), running longer trains and expanding the stations some is really the only sane thing to do.

Yeah that's what I assumed. I was just trying to expand on Bozza's point that adding cars to the train isn't necessarily the best way to increase capacity.

• Locked thread