Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Hezzy posted:

I can't help but think that some sort of leaflet or piece of information needs to be prominently displayed that says "Move down the carriage when you board a busy service". Saw a TPE train yesterday that was completely ram packed full in carriage B but carriages A and C were pretty much empty. Seems silly for everyone to be crowding round in the same carriage...

I think you'll find that the doors of that carriage are closest to the exit / next train of the station they get off at. I know it's hilarious on the Waterloo and city line, the front will be jam packed at waterloo to the point you can wait for several trains before getting on but the rear will have seats available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
What advantages to broader gauges actually have? Was Brunel's thing about a smoother ride actually a thing?

Also how big a thing are the tilting trains? Is it something that the UK rail network really needed? There seemed to be a lot of fanfare at the time but now you don't hear anything about it.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Bozza posted:

Could do mini effortpost on Level Crossings if you like, there's lots of sorts that the average person doesn't really notice.

Please use the one in Barnes as a case study, it's a nightmare getting stuck there for 15 minutes.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

Wootcannon posted:

It's less than 7 foot, I'm 6'2"/3" (haven't bothered measuring in a while) and if my hair's spiked up it brushes against the roof even in the centre of the carriage.

He meant the whole tunnel's clearance, so the rails, wheels and carriage chop a fair bit off of that.

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe

How many workers had old BR connections?

• Locked thread