Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
How will engineering works happen on the '24 hours tube lines'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Install Windows posted:

In cities with system-wide 24 hour service, many trackside projects can be handled in the headways between trains in the dead of night when service frequency drops significantly, before you even need to start shutting down sections for extended times. Surely that can be done here.

(The NYC subway has been known to handle replacing tracks during 20-30 minute headways in the very early morning, and sometimes even redoing signaling in similar circumstances)

Aren't the ones that run 24 hour in NYC 4 tracked?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Also there are less crossovers than it seems due to the deep level tubes being in separate running tunnels, have a poke around here http://carto.metro.free.fr/cartes/metro-tram-london/

I love this map, the most fascinating thing is the removed stations and lines. Not sure how they managed to find the exact track layout of the 'St. Helier Estate Railway' in South West London (I understand this was built just to supply building materials) but good on them.

Why hasn't anyone reopened the Camberwell and Walworth Road stations? They'd be provide at least some relief the inner South London transport desert.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

And all the tories who live in Wimbledon would be annoyed that their trains to Blackfriars and the City would be [a] slightly slower [b] used by more poor people.

I recall seeing this point made before but the service in that area is already so slow I can't see how the addition of two minutes would cause that much opposition. You can get off a southbound train to Sutton (Via Wimbledon) at Blackfriars, walk to Waterloo and speed to Wimbledon from there before your Sutton connection arrives (with some time to spare IIRC). As for the rich tories, don't they all use the District line to wealthier parts anyway?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I dunno, it was their bitching and moaning to MPs that made the DfT keep through services at Blackfriars on the thameslink, even though Network Rail said "Consistent with the recommendations of the South London RUS, operational analysis indicates that services routed via Herne Hill will need to operate into the new London Blackfriars bay platforms, whilst services routed via Catford will need to operate through the Thameslink core. Given the track and station layout currently under construction at London Blackfriars, reversing this arrangement would not be operationally viable."

So now everyone going through there has a worse service more prone to delays, thanks Wimbledon rail users! It's covered super in-depth on the amazing London Reconnections site http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/thameslink-losing-the-plot-whilst-looping-the-loop/

To be fair, if Network Rail and the DfT had articulated the potential benefits (more reliable service on account of cutting out 50km of countryside north of London etc) then there probably wouldn't have been so much opposition. They could have even won the argument if they actually tried. I ended up at a meeting held by one of the London boroughs affected and no one there made the case for ending through service. The combination of very excited rail enthusiasts and angry and confused commuters is only ever going to go one way (the status quo at all costs).

That whole thing was a lot of politics anyway because all the local politicians could make it look as if they were fighting for their constituents (while actually doing nothing at all).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

HTJ posted:

It's amazing that regular loop users haven't yet realised that FCC will always prioritise the mainline over the loop when things are going to poo poo (e.g. lack of drivers in bad weather) and that they would benefit from having dedicated trains. All FCC services were cancelled after the recent storm, but there wasn't a single obstruction on the loop - all of the trains were stuck north of London.

FCC get so much poo poo from people because of the terrible service, it's surprising they haven't put in any support for severing the loop. Though I suppose they would get more anger on account of doing so (they are bastards anyway so they deserve it all, but even so).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

HTJ posted:

They're legally stuffed at Loughborough Junction - because the platforms were closed, they can't benefit from the exemption for modern specifications (like completely straight platforms) that are given to existing infrastructure.

The Inner South London Line seems low effort compared to the rest of the Overground orbital project. They seemed to have run out of money and chutzpah after the East London Line extension. I read somewhere that TfL didn't want a connection to Victoria line at Brixton because it will overload the tube there.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

sweek0 posted:

At least they're building Queen's Road Peckham now.

?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

tentish klown posted:

What about the Chelsea-Hackney line (aka the hipster express)? Is this predicted to not happen until after 2021, or not ever?

It's dead, killed in favour (probably) of the Crossrail 2 regional route. Construction of that is projected to begin in the 20s, with opening in the 30s.

Cerv posted:

Needs a new colour to split the Overground into Orbital / Dangly Bits. Far too awkward to read in the top right.

Also lof if the Emirates cable car is still running then.

It's a total readability disaster all round, it needs to be completely redesigned. Interesting that they included Tramlink on that map, yet they claim that doing so on the regular tube map will cause 'clutter'. Despite the fact that north of the river is now far more cluttered than the south could ever be, even with the addition of the tram network.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Also, Blackfriars is getting an airport before 2021 it seems.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Allan Assiduity posted:

Is anyone here aware of any good books about British rail/it's history? I'm vaguely aware of most of it/could probably brush up my knowledge, but I'm sure there's a few good books on it here and there and most of the thread regulars would probably have genuinely good recommendations.

I've only read this, but it tells you pretty much everything: http://tinyurl.com/nn2tjmu

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Not about railways specifically but something that would affect them:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25549789

Benefits to trains I assume are less snow on the line and less heat from the sun (on the SWML in summer tracks getting so hot that they had to slow some services down).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Hmm good point. Maybe this £200 million transport infrastructure would be paid for entirely by the private sector. Lets wait and see.

Total cost is £8 billion for the full 219km, £200 million is for the 6.5km that would be the first phase. I assume you're joking about private money?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Speaking of Worst Capital Connect, christ this morning was a clusterfuck of cancellations, making it up as they go along and no information to passengers. My personal highlight was ending up at the station I started out at, having been travelling for an hour and then being told to go back and find another way. Good thing the railways are efficiently run by titans of industry to make sure I was only an hour and 20 minutes late to a job interview, I can't fathom how late I'd have been if it was run by the state like the tube!

Also love FCC's requirement to include a picture of your ticket for their refund scheme, I hope they enjoy my photo of an oyster card.

Problem north of St. Pancras, entire Wimbledon Loop goes down. Maybe we should cut the loop off at Blackfriars to allow for a better, more frequent, more reliable service? Oh wait...

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

nozz posted:

Camden Town as it stands is completely unequipped to handle the amount of passengers that would have to change there if they split the Northern line in two. What residents are opposed to is the massive amount of redevelopment that would be required on the surface to accomodate the necessary changes.

Loads of info at http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/we-need-to-talk-about-camden/

He's talking about loop trains terminating at Blackfriars making people on it very upset, despite the obvious advantages it presents :)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

severed delays.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

http://campaign.actionforrail.org/page/speakout/stop-the-fourth-railway-package

Is anyone able to confirm whether compulsory vertical separation is happening or not? I've read in many places that it was killed after some of European states protested very strongly against it.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Isn't this a 'what if' kind of thing? That's the way it reads anyway.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Who will own the IEP trains? Is it government or ROSCOs? I think they are being paid for by the taxpayer but it would seem odd to me that this government would ever let all these lucrative trains with potentially very long returns be owned by the state.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Errrrr I'm not really sure, it's all very confusing thanks to the IEP being funded by Public-Private-Clusterfuck so it's loans of £1bn from the Japan Bank for International Cooperation, £1bn from commercial banks and £235million from the European Investment Bank, with the Government stumping up the extra £2.3bn and an extra £1.2bn for trains to replace the 225s on the ECML.

'Agility Trains' who are Hitachi, shitbird PFI pebbledicks John Laing plc and Barclays Private Equity is building and maintaining the trains, but they're paid by the TOC based on train availability, and the government is subsidising the TOCs a fat wad of cash forguaranteeing 27.5 years of use.

See the way franchising and bidding and procurement works now it's in the private sector is all very simple really and provides value to passengerscustomers. :clegg:

These loans are to the government right? Not to the parties who will make the cash from the trains?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Why are they exempt? Are there no ticket machines or something?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

I thought it was against the law to board a train without a valid ticket regardless of intent.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

I give up, you guys sound like the jobsworth nazis who while having their union rights caned for a business that shouldnt be in private ownership in the first place are still happy to loving enforce the letter of the law as opposed to the spirit of the law.

Enjoy your 18 grand a year i guess, sell outs.

I dunno about that mate, I'm just surprised you're allowed to buy a ticket on a train. In London the only option is buy a ticket or have a valid pass before you board or they will gently caress you (it is trespassing otherwise I think). Even if it's not intentional or is an accident you can still be prosecuted because they don't have to prove intent to evade fares for one of the byelaws (I forget which it is). I can only assume Oyster killed ticket buying on trains because I don't recall ever being able to do that.

It's funny because this is the place where the privately owned TOCs are guaranteed to make a massive profit, and yet are clamping down hard on fare 'evasion'. In places where taxpayer subsidy is probably the only thing keeping them afloat is where the most relaxed attitude appears to be.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Lofty132 posted:

I don't think it's against the law to board a train without a ticket regardless of intent, it is against the law to purposefully attempt to evade the fare for the journey. And if you try and short fare a journey or take the more radical step of altering your ticket with a pen then you are in fraud territory which is when a serious hard on for prosecution begins.

No I believe that is right:

Railway Byelaws Section 18. Ticketless travel in non-compulsory ticket areas

(1) In any area not designated as a compulsory ticket area, no person shall enter
any train for the purpose of travelling on the railway unless he has with him a
valid ticket entitling him to travel.

(2) A person shall hand over his ticket for inspection and verification of validity
when asked to do so by an authorised person.

(3) No person shall be in breach of Byelaw 18(1) or 18(2) if:

i) there were no facilities in working order for the issue or
validation of any ticket at the time when, and the station where,
he began his journey; or

(ii) there was a notice at the station where he began his journey
permitting journeys to be started without a valid ticket; or

(iii) an authorised person gave him permission to travel without a
valid ticket.

(http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/uploads/nationalrailwaybyelaws.pdf)

That is in comparison to Section 5 (3) Regulation of Railways Act 1889 which deals with intended fare evasion:

(3)If any person—

(a)Travels or attempts to travel on a railway without having previously paid his fare, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or

(b)Having paid his fare for a certain distance, knowingly and wilfully proceeds by train beyond that distance without previously paying the additional fare for the additional distance, and with intent to avoid payment thereof; or

(c)Having failed to pay his fare, gives in reply to a request by an officer of a railway company a false name or address,

(http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/52-53/57/section/5#section-5-3)

I'm assuming that there are more compulsory ticket areas in places outside the south east, allowing for purchasing tickets on trains.

Metrication fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 25, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Out of interest does anyone know how passenger ridership figures are gathered? Are they still done by clipboard? It seems pretty archaic when you think about it and not really that accurate.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Seaside Loafer posted:

gently caress knows but there are loads of completly unmanned stations. Luck of the draw if you can find and operate a machine.

Well I guess you would be alright then if there are no facilities in working order :)

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Bozza posted:

Crossrail to Reading

Why?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Finally, London is getting the investment it needs.

Most of the investment cash is our money anyway...

Majority of Crossrail money is from London taxpayers.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

60% apparently. Leaving only 40% paid for by everyone else. Thanks London.

It is only right that the home counties should pay for something that they will benefit from.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Chocolate Teapot posted:

What about the rest of the country?

Because London's growth benefits the rest of the country?

I worked it out, 30% of this will be outside of London and 70% will be inside. Meaning that London is not far off paying for its entire section (note that it says 60%+ paid for by London taxpayers and businesses on the Crossrail site). Blame the home counties if they're not paying for their sections (which I think they aren't as it was reported on local news last night that they refused when funding was being drawn up).

Had Crossrail gone ahead when it was first approved by Parliament in the early 90s the cost would have been some 2-3 billion in today's money.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Major northern cities like Enfield and Barnet.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

The 700 trains per day is the capacity raised rather than the physical number of trains surely? Though obviously the way it's reported will make it sound like it is (and the public will believe it is).

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

There's vertical separation like what has happened in some countries where the train operator is separated from the infrastructure (but the two entities remain largely intact), and there's what the tories did to BR, which was pretty much a total evisceration. It was broken into as many pieces of possible, mostly in an attempt to crush the rail unions.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Transport secretary said 'thanks to the superb work by First Great Western and Network rail' when talking about Dawlish reopening today. What did FGW do and why do they deserve the first credit?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Cerv posted:

contracted replacement buses

Quite an achievement.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Does anyone know why the barriers are left open at night in London's mainline terminals? Obviously it isn't but it kind of implies that travel is free, the same happens at East Croydon late at night (from when I've pass through anyway), and bizarrely Wimbledon during the day sometimes. In contrast the barriers in tube stations are closed at all times (same with London Overground). Do they have to be manned when they are closed?

Metrication fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Apr 11, 2014

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Where are they getting them from the new Thameslink trains aren't coming for two years.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

quote:

Passengers covered almost 60 per cent of the UK rail network’s costs between 2012-13.

New figures from the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR) show that between 2012-13 fare income rose by 3.6 per cent to £7.7 billion, while the government’s contribution fell by 4.2 per cent to £4 billion – just over 30 per cent of total income.

Despite a growth in both passenger and freight traffic, the cost of running Britain’s railways remained fairly static at £12.3 billion.

The figures did reveal a substantial disparity between the amount of government funding for services across the UK, which ranged from £2.19 per passenger journey in England, to £7.60 per journey in Scotland, and £9.33 per journey in Wales.

ORR chief executive Richard Price said: “Britain’s rail industry receives substantial income from passengers and taxpayers. People have a right to know where the money goes and what it helps deliver. ORR welcomes the industry’s support in compiling this report. It demonstrates a real step forward for the rail sector, which, with ORR’s help, is developing a stronger culture of openness and transparency, and providing more detailed data on costs, income and fares.

“Passengers are increasingly the main funder of the railways, and must be central to developing its plans for the future. ORR is working to put passengers at the heart of the railways – working with the industry to ensure passenger groups have a greater say in plans and delivery of new enhancements to the rail network; to review the quality of information provided to passengers during the recent disruptions; and to establish a code of practice on rail ticket selling.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

The benefits of nationalisation can only be fully felt if the railways are vertically integrated !

• Locked thread