Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bozza posted:

Nah, but Maidenhead Station is my baby, been working on the layout on and off since I started in design (so about 4 years) from concept to approval in principle/ready for detailed design phase.

"layout" meaning everything but the basic architecture, right?
Interested because I work in Maidenhead twice a week, and have a bunch of questions about the station architecture where things don't make sense to me.
Also, I thought stations were owned / controlled by the franchisee (First in this case) rather than Network Rail itself.

Also, this goes all the way back to the first page, but people who talk up the "amazing" train service in Japan have never used it during rush hour / used one of the "private" lines (because JR was privatised a while back now, and the Tokyo Metro more recently.) - on the Odakyu line, the "wrong" sort of rain, delaying trains by easily 10 or 15 minutes in any sort of rain, and on the Tokaido line, the main fast link from the south, through Yokohama, into Tokyo, I regularly saw trains an hour or two late. When JR trains are late they stop displaying the time they should have been in, which I suppose makes them seem less bad.

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Payndz posted:

Especially when you get off at what you think is the right station, but you're three miles from where you expected to be because the name of a station on one line doesn't necessarily match its neighbour on the other.
The only time I was burned by that - JR Sagamihara vs Odakyuu Sagamihara (where the stations are on opposite sides of the city and there's no simple way to get from one to the other) the routes are entirely different - in fact I don't know of any point where you have 2 companies on the same
track in Japan (with the exception of a few services which start off as a private railway, go into the Tokyo Metro, then come out again)

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
This is very much a Bozza question as he's in charge of the project (I believe) - what on earth are you doing at the end of Boyne Valley Road, the Wooton Way end - there've been two Network Rail white vans parked there during working hours on and off for the past few weeks, and I've been wondering why.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

pointsofdata posted:

The Japanese tube system is quite heavily privatized in places, although they did it in a weird way I think. Their companies seem to work together much better than ours though with trains through running on private and public railways.
Tokyo Metro is private, went private a few years ago. Yokohama's system is 100% public. I don't think there are any trains switching between private/public railways - JR East and JR West are both private. If you're saying that the JR privatisation went better than the BR privatisation then I'll not argue with you, but it's a bit different as Japan always had a bunch of private lines too (owned by department stores!) it was never a 100% public system.
The payment card system (SUICA/IOCA/PASMO etc etc - there are a good 10 systems) is a complete clusterfuck - a JR SUICA (*not* a Rinkai SUICA) will work with pretty much everyone, but you can - I've done this - get on the train with a PASMO in Kawasaki, transfer to the bullet train, and then be hosed in Kyoto because you can't touch out as the card isn't recgonised.
This is particularly irritating because it's a political decision, not a technical one - I've read all the inter-op documents and wrote a bunch of the code to deal with passing payments / info on banned cards between the different systems.

I swear I've made this post - or something like it - before. Pretty much everything you read about how great Japan's railways is total BS anyway, as the number of people that talk about it who've spent any real time travelling during rush hour is low. The Tokaido line, main route from the south through Yokohama, and into Tokyo is even less punctual in the rush hour than any of the routes into London, and the Odakyu line has a problem with "the wrong sort of rain" that would make BR proud (The vast majority of my experience there going Shonandai -> Shin-Yurigaoka -> Kurokawa, which usually took 30 minutes longer than the time table claimed each way)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 15, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Bozza posted:

There high speed network is the only line on standard gauge, the rest uses metre.
Sounds like at least one of the private railways is on standard as well (the Hakone Tozan railway, which is owned by Odakyu)
Part of the joy of the different railway systems is the stations of course - JR Machida / Odakyu Machida are a few dozens of meters apart, but Odakyu Sagamihara station and JR Sagamihara are a 30 minute car journey apart (finding this out when I was drunk, late at night, and still spoke almost no Japanese was great fun btw)

ookiimarukochan fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 15, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Venmoch posted:

Paying for the distance you travel rather than what someone says you should pay makes far more sense.
And yet travelling in London (non-commute) is a fuckload cheaper than travelling in the Tokyo conurbation because London has travelcards / 1-day maximum fees. You win some, you lose some.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
The "as far as" stuff there is weird as gently caress. Croydon and Chessington are both in London so TfL not controlling trains there would be bizarre given that they currently control the busses there (and the trains are all Oystered up etc) - Chessington South is a terminal station which I suppose is why it was brought up but I'm pretty sure that Croydon only has through stations. Or is this the Evening Standard deciding that everything south of the river doesn't count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Reviving the thread to throw out this article from a New Yorker raving about how great the trains are in London. I'm not sure if it's more the equivalent of tourists talking about how great public transport is in Japan or if he really does have a point though.

• Locked thread