Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

thehustler posted:

Manchester Piccadilly got lit the gently caress up this morning.

https://twitter.com/WireFM/status/359562365240475648/photo/1

Signal system is knocked out.

Heh, that happened to me once, I think it was reading station. The bolt hit the power line opposite us, arced to our pantograph, which happened to be right above my head. Biggest bang I've ever heard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Bozza posted:

Rules is rules.

Reminds me of a tale my gaffer told me about his friend that drives freight trains. Used to regularly drive freight up the west coast of Scotland and arrive at the station, get out and drive a light engine back towards Glasgow.

Instead of pulling right up to the signal, he'd stop half way down the platform cos it was closer to the stairs and wasn't an issue anyway as the platform was huge.... until he hadn't fully read his briefing sheet and realised they'd slapped 6 extra wagons on the back.

Promptly drove his light engine into the side of his own train. Crashing into yourself is a rare art.

Ha. How much leeway have drivers got to do what they want with the locomotive without getting bollocked? Your post reminded me, I've seen shitloads of freight trains mainly on the midland mainline over the years, mostly gravel from the quarries, or coal going to the power station near Derby. They always slow down like hell before going through a station, maybe 5mph? Then you hear them power up after clearing the platform.

Different route, but waiting for the last train of the day at Coventry station, a (I think) Class 37, not coupled to anything, blew through the station doing the best part of 100mph. The wind almost knocked me over, and it scared the living crap out of me.

Exactly how hosed would that driver be if caught?

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

josh04 posted:

"activating an automatic derailment"?

They are a thing.

Only slightly more strange than the cross country trains service I was on once where the drive shaft fell out the bottom. "Why have we stopped at this station?", "Drive shaft fell off sir", "where is it.. Hang on wait what?"

A sad conductor pointed down the track to the horizon.

We all knew we'd be getting a coach home that night.

• Locked thread