Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just wondering about South West Trains, until I got my bike fixed, it was my regular route to work (Brentford to Clapham Junction, and Clapham to Hampton Court). What's the normal public opinion on them? I don't think the trains they use are that effecitve, I always fear the Putney stop as thousands of business people cram onto the train and it seems to be dominated by large seats rather than good standing space. Yet on the train to Hampton Court, they are much better for standing space and seating, on the service that needs it less. What's up with that?

Also just out of curiousity and my final question, how much does it cost to run a regular service with a decent amount of passengers to turn a profit or break even? It always puzzles me that some people can get £12 tickets on national travel and others pay upwards of £100, even though the cost to run the service is the same. Hope that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

Just generally browsing the thread so forgive me if this has already been asked but what is the cost breakdown to get a train from one end of its journey to another? It just puzzles me that tickets can be made mega-cheap to ultra-expensive and still be on the same carriage. Like getting an £8 journey from Sheffield to London and then having to pay £50 or more for a journey back up north, I've had to do this a lot of times (I'll admit I didn't always plan ahead) and it just doesn't make much economic sense.

Why can't it just be one reasonable price based on cost to run the service?

• Locked thread