Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indeterminacy
Sep 9, 2011

Excuse me, your Rabbit parts are undetached.

Bozza posted:

I can give more in-depth analysis of technology or the structural/organisational issues within the network. In addition to this, my actual day to day job is signalling design for Crossrail and the aforementioned Western Mainline Electrification programme.
I'd just like to add something to your diagram: Outsourced Customer Service Departments.

Don't get me wrong. Dealing with commuters who expect that the massive clusterfuck that is the British rail network is something that one person at a desk in Paddington Station can solve immediately for them is something no human being should ever have to do. But it is totally endemic in the problems of that system to think that the right response to increased numbers of comments, problems and complaints is to get yet another subcontractor involved.

What is that subcontractor going to do with the problems and complaints they get? Well, by and large, they're going to stick them in an electronic record somewhere (having mined complainers for whatever personal information they can) and do nothing else with them; after all, you can't risk offending the company paying you to answer their phones. Since they're not part of the actual operation of the trains, people at the other end have a very restricted information flow and limited powers anyway.

So passenger feedback stops (except through independent rail groups, which are great), companies stop talking to their passengers (except through their big advertising and PR budgets, which are completely misused by overpaid city graduates), and since train contracts are basicaly monopolies for as long as the company holds them, individual passengers are stuck with whatever they're given.

Yet more Privatization goodness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread