Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there any easy to use resource to find ridership stats for stations in Britain? I'm a filthy Yankee and looking for stats specifically from tiny little rural stations I've seen on Great British Railway Journeys.
Yes, I'm pretty sure this is what you are looking for: http://orr.gov.uk/statistics/published-stats/station-usage-estimates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I generally manage that by being large, dark, and hairy but yes, trains are a nice way to travel if you have a seat in a quiet car.

If you put headphones in and bury your head in a book you don't even need to be in the quiet car to enjoy train travelling with a nice refreshing alcoholic beverage. If only because Scotrail don't have quiet cars on their trains. And obviously you can't drink after 9pm.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I've just come back from a trip to visit some mates in the Netherlands and gently caress me their train ticketing system is incredible. "Oh hi I want to turn up and go using this contactless payment system at 5am and get an intercity service from Amsterdam to Delft. What do you mean it's only €9 and the chipcard works on all other public transport?"

Why can't we have nice things?
(The answer is Thatcher Major Tories)

Well, because we help subsidise cheap Dutch fares through Scotrail, Northern, Greater Anglia & Merseyside.

Yes, not reversing the sell off of the railways was up there for Blair's worst crime.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

TinTower posted:

The platform edge doors thing is good; the least safe I've ever been on public transport was waiting for a service at Kinning Park.

Huh, really? When I lived in Glasgow that was my local clockwork orange stop, less than 5 minutes, basically just had to cross Paisley Road West & Plantation Park to get there, never once felt like it was dodgy from a safety viewpoint. Well, when Rangers were playing it was obviously unusable unless you were going the opposite way to Ibrox but otherwise it was almost always too quiet to ever really feel like any sort of danger.

I assume the talk of having a new subway line built is still the sort of rumour that comes up once every few years but is far too expensive to actually be acted upon, sort of like the road tunnel under the Caledonian Canal in Inverness or the oft talk about direct link from Queen Street & Central Stations

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kingturnip posted:

A good start to the morning...

Agreed. Any day that one cannot get to London is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Wait, what? It can be cheaper not to use a Railcard? How?

The pricing of railway tickets remains utterly bewildering to me. There must be someone out there who understands it but it's not me.

• Locked thread