Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twoot
Oct 29, 2012

A model train company put in a joke offer for the West-coast franchise, and got a response from someone in gov't with a sense of humour: http://blog.bigjigstoys.co.uk/our-wcml-bid-has-been-accepted-almost/

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

My monthly SPT Zonecard has increased £6 to £101. I'll be interested to see if my commute costs less when the Scotland-wide Oystercard-like system is completed.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Chocolate Teapot posted:

How the gently caress does something like this get posed as a question? Honest to gently caress, next it'll be checking whether privatisation benefits poor people.

So you think the BBC shouldn't look into things and should just accept "common knowledge"? The general public's perception of price rises are almost always without consideration of inflation, like the whole "Freddos aren't 10p anymore!?!?!" thing; while since the time Freddos were priced at 10p there has been almost 100% inflation, so they are now 20p.

The BBC article points out that several rail routes and ticket types have not increased equal to inflation, even though the general trend is that rail prices have increased more than inflation.

twoot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 24, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Man, that's really flat. I don't think there's a single level crossing in all of Glasgow.

There is a car crossing at Bowling which used to be for getting to the shipyards, but its been inactive since the area was razed.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

For the last week or so Charing Cross station in Glasgow has completely reeked of shite. Don't breath through your nose levels of shite. There must be raw sewerage pouring into the tunnels somewhere.

My addition to trainchat.

twoot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 23, 2013

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Nothing to add to HS2chat but I got linked this picture and thought it was really great;

Taken during the late-70s refurbishment of the Glasgow Subway at St Enoch's station. The current ticket hall is on a level between old building (now a Costa) and the lines.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Standing at the station and an ancient diesel unit pulls through with some translator carriages. It revs up halfway through the station and covers everyone with a thick exhaust cloud.

I imagine that this is a train drivers gently caress you because they can't use puddles :colbert:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

thehustler posted:

I've just moved to Edinburgh at the start of May but knew about the tram debacle. It's a mess. Who is going to use them. What do trams give Edinburgh that they couldn't do before? Even with 3 lines, I fail to see how they really are better than the buses.

Am I missing something?

Prestige and having a big infrastructure project that the Council could gloat about mostly.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Bozza posted:

Trams are ace but Edinburgh council hosed up big time in their specs for the system because they managed to fail to account for how terrible most other utilities are at records keeping so were shocked to find electric cables and gas pipes under the road every 10m which they somehow agreed to reroute.

Good work, dildos.

Signing up to a contract which was so one sided it would have enabled the contractors to build a £500million golden cock and get out with no challenge didn't help either.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

coffeetable posted:

Was it stupidity or corruption on the council's part?

A bit of both as per normal. The contract has clauses which have made it nearly impossible to fight the contractors on their poor project management and quality of construction, to the point where if the Scottish government hadn't bailed out the project to allow it to complete to this stage then all the work would've had to be torn up and scrapped and the contractors would have faced pretty much no repercussions. The council was warned at the contracting phase that this would happen if they signed as-is and simply brushed it off.

There was also some degree of collusion between the Quantity surveyor firm and the Contractors to gently caress the Council out of more money, but I can't remember how exactly that played out.

There was a really good blog which documented all of the farce but I can't find it now.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Double-deck trains proposed for Waterloo station lines :pcgaming:

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Apparently Crossrail might have some problems with it's fancy signalling.

Crossrail faces the prospect of signal trouble from day one

quote:

Crossrail, the South-East's £15bn new rail line, is on course for a humiliating signalling failure when it opens in 2018.

The project chairman, Terry Morgan, confirmed that a "mitigation plan" was being put in place as it grows increasingly likely that signalling on the 73-mile Berkshire-to-Essex link won't work properly. This would mean a reduction of train services from the start.

Crossrail uses a complicated mix of traditional metro signalling and state-of-the-art systems to link trains on the 26 miles of new tracks beneath London to existing major cross-country rail lines.

Engineers and rail experts are struggling to create "interfaces", meaning the trains are unable to smoothly switch from the relatively conventional Metro system to a higher-tech standard once they have left central London. Sources say with only three years to go these problems might not be resolved in time.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The world's best most boring simplest subway is getting new driverless trains:

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/1345257-driverless-trains-unveiled-for-glasgows-subway-system/

quote:

Driverless trains will be introduced on Glasgow's Subway from 2020 as part of a £288m modernisation.

Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT) announced on Friday that a £200m contract had been awarded to the Stadler Bussnang AG / Ansaldo STS Consortium for the supply of new trains and signalling across the network.

The trains will be the same size as current rolling stock but will run as four-car sets rather than the present three-car setup.

Open gangways will maximise the space available and allow for wheelchair access at St Enoch and Govan.

The system will include new platform screen doors, which SPT said will be "half height" to preserve space and openness within the stations while improving passenger safety.

While the current fleet is partially automatic, once the new full system is in place the Subway will move to fully-driverless operation.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

I assume the talk of having a new subway line built is still the sort of rumour that comes up once every few years but is far too expensive to actually be acted upon, sort of like the road tunnel under the Caledonian Canal in Inverness or the oft talk about direct link from Queen Street & Central Stations

It's come up a few times when tying in a new subway line makes a councillors' pet infrastructure project sound more appealing. Yet the subway extension has never appeared.

twoot fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Network Rail put out a cool timelapse of the work they're doing at Glasgow Queen Street

https://vimeo.com/168967790

• Locked thread