Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
If we all ask bozza about the level crossing post he'll defo make one

I'm done my part in making this happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

It's pretty much what the Scottish government have done for the last few years; have trains in a unified paint scheme and have a few "scotrail is operated by abelio" decals around. It hasn't worked.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

landofcake posted:

As for slam door trains, I still see trains with manual doors all the time on the east coast main line, but they've got driver operated locks that only disengage when it's at the platform.

Was on the East Coast Main Line last week; I can confirm that they still have slam-door carriages, at least on the trains that between Stirling and London.

I've never been on one of the older slam-door trains: only the sort that go long distances (the ECML, I'm pretty sure the Eurostar has them but I was incredibly tired the one time I was on it and can't remember and the trains I took from Krakow to Berlin were all slam-door) which probably skews my opinion on them: the conservative part of me doesn't want them to go since I associate them with going someplace special and that getting rid of that would be bad: its totally irrational and only something that - although then again its the sort of thing that probably governs the way that a surprising amount of people think about the railway... I mean its totally irrational and I understand that and its only something that I think because we have some relatively new trains by us (its mostly 170s I think, the occasional 156 that looks and smells like its hasn't been cleaned for ten years runs but they only seem to use those on weekends and when the festival is on so they need to have longer trains: god knows what we're going to get after electrification - I only know that because half the time they don't bother to put the destination stuff on the train screens and it defaults to what type of train it is) and I'm imagine that if the older ones were the only things that you had they'd get very old, very quickly.

I guess that the main reason why they're replacing them is access-related issues?

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Since I've moved to Brussels I've grown to dislike touch screen ticket machines - the ones for the metro/tram/bus here were installed before them and have a big dial to control what you want and big buttons to go forward and back. I mean they're a bit slow (although cards process quicker here for some reason) but there's a lot less dicking around because the screen isn't calibrated properly or because it's broken.

Basically modern technology manages to somehow be worse in every way for ticket machines

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

Belgium railways are poo poo but they do some cool things that I like - one of them is that on the newer trains they have LCD info screens that display live departure info for the next station just before you are going to arrive, which I imagine would be pretty handy. It's also funny because it also changes languages when you cross the internal borders - Dutch in Flanders, French in Wallonia and alternating between the two in Brussels.

• Locked thread