Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

Finally, if you find yourself really hooked, consider getting the British Transport Film Collection

BTF films like Snow and Rail have never ceased to confound me, and yet they're two of the most entertaining films of the lot to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Just managed to see the first episode of The Railway: Keeping Britain on Track and holy poo poo that was depressing. Constrasted even to what was seen in last year's The Tube, the sheer corporateness was depressing as gently caress. The engineers came off as pricks and the "front-line" workers looked like they were abused by both the passengers and their bosses. The episode I saw focused on King's Cross- is that the worst of it, or is it lovely like what I saw everywhere?

Wonder how that all contrasts to Amtrak out here...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

By engineers do you mean drivers? Given that they're possibly some of the unionised workers most demonised by the press, I wouldn't say it's particularly surprising they're defensive.

They came off more as smug than defensive, really. One bit of the Railway episode focused on a series of delays at King's Cross, mentioned the drivers' union right to a 30 min. break between runs, explained that the delay seen on-camera was due to a lack of drivers for the trains at the station, followed around the station-master who was frantically trying to radio for any available driver please just get the trains moving, and then showed a driver finally swaggering into view and explaining he had been at the pub for his 30-minute break.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 16, 2013

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jonnty posted:

Why does severe disruption mean their breaks are any less necessary? In fact, surely everything getting hectic and increased journey times make it more necessary?

Cerv posted:

drivers can't rest, eat, piss, etc during their shift. if i recall correctly that train was about to embark on a several hour journey.
breaks aren't for fun, they prevent horrible death.
I get that a break's healthy and downright necessary for proper saftety, but goddamn they just caught those drivers at the perfectly wrong moment. Rather than appearing pressed for time, the driver genuinely did seem to be swaggering to the station platform without a worry, while the guy at the platform was flipping his poo poo and the passengers seemed to be on the dge of rioting. I mean, that train ultimately ended up leaving an hour and ten minutes behind schedule because they couldn't find a driver. Was there absolutely no driver available sooner than that?

Lady Gaza posted:

I didn't like the manager in the King's Cross episode, I thought he came across as really fake. Otherwise everyone else seemed fine. I'd say that the episodes since that one have been much better though.
The manager spoke pure corporatese throughout the entire episode. He was the worst.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Puntification posted:

He presents a programme about riding around the country on trains following some victorian guide to Britain.
He has another, similar program where he takes a guide from 1913 and travels across Continental lines. It's alright stuff. A little hokey, but he's well-spoken, polite to everyone he meets and does seem to genuinely enjoy it all.

And to think, he almost became leader of the Conservatives back in '97.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

http://media.btp.police.uk/r/12532/man_who_drove_car_onto_tracks_which_was_hit_by_pa

Why did that guy drive his car down the tracks and just leave it there in the first place?

• Locked thread