Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well it's not a coincidence that women can get maternity leave and can initiate their own pregnancies while men can't, no. That's biology.

If you offered a comparable way for men to spend a year doing something they're socially expected to do on generous pay I would imagine you'd have plenty of them doing it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you can't fire people for maternity leave I don't think, or for being on the sick, that's the whole point of them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I would think there's a clause in the contract to claim back the extra money they give in contractual maternity pay if someone tries to quit soon after.

I don't actually think your employer can claim money back off you once they've paid you it. They can dock future pay but not claim money back off you unless they take you to court or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord of the Llamas posted:

They can if it's in the contract.

http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/wp/advice-2/mums-dads-scenarios/pregnant-and-benefits/common-maternity-pay-questions/

Similarly many employers have such a clause covering the costs of optional training courses they've paid for. It's usually tapered depending on the amount of time that has elapsed.

It seems like a pretty basic clause to discourage abuse of the system.

Aahhh ok, I was going to say they obviously wouldn't be able to claim back entitled maternity pay because that's ridiculous but yeah I guess the extra they maybe can.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Presumably that's the seating at the level portion of the car. Like on a bus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I hope that doesn't mean no services that used to run pacers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Welll I guess Northern will be able to make a bit of money ripping up the entire rail line between middlesbrough and saltburn because they only run one service on that line and I'm pretty sure it's pacers only.

At this rate Boro station is going to end up closing because it won't connect to anywhere any more.

I miss when EC had the franchise, it's been shite since they sold it off again.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 10, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The train doesn't smell quite as strongly of diesel fumes as the bus I used to get with the same interior, so I'm sure it's still serviceable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

thehustler posted:

Don't they just contract a lot of stuff out though? It's not really nationalisation is it?

Supposedly fares go to TfL, seems pretty close to it.

"Unlike most of the existing franchise agreements, income from fares would be handed over to TfL to invest in the network, for example bringing in new walk-through trains with more doors and staffing 100 per cent of stations during operating hours."

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Speaking of the ECML looks like there was a problem with the overhead line south of darlington today which seems to have hosed up half the ECML with delays going through darlington. Fun stuff! At least I get some money back on the fare.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's kind of necessary if you want to go anywhere decent.

(i.e, north)

Esepcially as the west coast line is quite possibly in the sea at the moment.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 1, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno, I heard they'd had another major landslip recently but I dunno whether it took out part of the line or not. I would guess they must have though because the east coast trains weren't any busier. Apparently there were problems with the overheads again today between York and Newcastle so that presumably means Darlington again, it's the wind apparently.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no sorry I thought you meant the 1st of February, definitely since the 1st of January. I think it was a week or two ago.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He would be hosed but the tracks caught fire and the train disappeared shortly after leaving the station. The driver was going home.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Desiderata posted:

Just got a Manchester to Llandudno train. I did not know we still ran carriages where you have to lean out the window to open the door handle. Still a nicer than a Pacer though.

Yes I had one of those recently too, god knows how you're supposed to do it if you're an old lady or something as it's bloody awkward.

Also they don't close themselves either I don't think so the conductor has to run along and shut them all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

I'm spending half my life on the ECML at the moment and still encounter the occasional slam door train, even on services going to / from London. If there's some system to avoiding them I would use it because they usually have smaller seats that my lanky legs literally cannot fit in.

It seems kind of random. The stirling to kings cross train was one so it seems like they just bung them on wherever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because nobody who would be inclined to call them out on it has the ability to, and everyone with the ability to isn't inclined to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe he was just going for a new high score in angry birds.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Unions balloting guards and drivers for strike on Northern and Merseyrail franchises ahead of what the RMT has called 'a spring and summer of discontent' regarding Driver Only Operation (DOO for short, rebranded as DCO to confuse issues).

With regards to the Northern franchise implementation of DOO, apparently it was estimated prior to the franchise commencement that it would take 12 days of strike action to break the unions. Guess we're going to find out.

If Northern get rid of their conductors then nobody is going to bother buying tickets... Half the platforms are unmanned and have no ticket barriers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Party Boat posted:

It's pretty common to spend a couple of minutes waiting to get across the Tyne (I think there's only six tracks between the two bridges so it's a bit of a bottleneck) and it's not really a surprise that trains with an onward journey would take priority over those terminating.

Having pretty severe vertigo I do not appreciate being parked on the outside line in the middle of the bridge for five minutes.

• Locked thread