Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Thank you for this thread, I’ve wanted to learn more about the history of UK rail privatization mostly because of the large number of politicians who think privatization is the final solution to our economic ills. I don’t know if you follow American politics but about this time last year Republicans proposed that we should copy the success of the UK and privatize Amtrak. Some people countered with how privatization hasn’t gone as well as described (all the Republicans said is that the Virgin West Coast Line doubled ridership, is profitable and Amtrak isn’t so kill it) but didn’t go into the details you did.

Could you elaborate on why there were such increases in ridership during this time dispute the increase in fares? I understand that the relationship between fare and ridership is inelastic, especially more so for people who have no choice but I don’t know enough about how people get around in the UK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread