Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Payndz posted:

Bozza, do you have any figures for the annual subsidies given to the train operating companies? I can't help but think that billions of pounds are being handed to the likes of Stagecoach and passed straight on to shareholders as dividends rather than being used in any way to, you know, subsidise train fares.

Recently there was one example where the subsidy was exactly the same as the profits. Can't remember who it was though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

tentish klown posted:

This morning I missed my train from London to Liverpool. The price of another ticket, when I checked, was a hundred and fifty quid. A bus was thirty. gently caress trains.

"gently caress train operators", I think you mean. Which quickly extends to "gently caress privatisation" :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That undergrowth looks suspiciously not dead and burnt for a regular steam service

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zombywuf posted:

Have you ever been to the west highlands? Do you have any idea just how soggy it is?

I've been up to Oban a few times and it was pretty dry on the way there. Was the height of summer, though.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

tentish klown posted:

Buy some shares then?

Or even better, buy the whole company! Then you get all the profits!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

thehustler posted:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22700805

The case for and against renationalisation, posted today.

Guy on the bottom seems to be using total journeys as a measure of success, despite the fact that that can be driven by other things. Also he looks like a dick.

quote:

Between 1923 and 1947 the so-called Big Four government-supported firms ran the roost and journeys fell to about 1.2 billion by the onset of the Second World War.

Phew, I wonder why the number of people traveling by train decreased in the 1930's. It sounds like some kind of Great Depression of rail journey figures :confused:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hezzy posted:

The time to get to the airport or train station will most likely be similar.

I don't think you can assume that at all.

Hezzy posted:

Even if boarding and unboarding took 2 hours you'd still be at 3 hours or so total as opposed to FIVE hours.

Point of information, 1 hour 40 + 2 hours isn't 3 hours - it's 4 hours.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I like the way you've skimmed over why you couldn't buy a ticket somewhere that's not on the train

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Seaside Loafer posted:

I didnt skim over it did I, read the posts in the conversation.

I did, and I just did again. You didn't answer the question.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I don't post here often but I feel I accomplished something

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

milton keynes too i guess, don't care enough to google where it actually is.

About half way between Oxford and Cambridge

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

biglads posted:

I'd quite like to see the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles junction

The History of All Hitherto Existing Society is Waiting for a Post on Level Crossings

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Don't worry it's not like they'd privatise something that they were forced to renationalise before, that'd just be pure ideology rather than evidence driven

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bozza posted:

I think this is basically trying to enforce what was decided in the early 90s with seperating the accounts of infrastructure manager and operator.

No way the French state is going to hand it's rail services over to just anyone, they'll probably give a semblance of a bid process but set the entry requirements so stupidly high that if your name is not SNCF you ain't getting poo poo.

Requirements:
  • Must have at least 77 years experience of running French Railways

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

quote:

When British Rail ran everything, there wasn't much in the way of pressure to improve the quality of its stations/trains/sandwiches. Replacing it with a system of rival, privately-owned rail franchises was meant to give everything a kick up the proverbial.

How well this has worked is a matter of some debate (no, it really is)
Nahhhhh

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Zephirus posted:

As someone who has only regularly used lines that are already DOO (Thameslink, overground and Great Northern), what is the reason for the opposition to DOO?

Dramatically less safe

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shouldn't go through Darlington, problem solved

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Overminty posted:

I'm curious about something. Last night the train I usually get from work to home was cancelled at the station due to a conductor not turning up. Apparently from Victoria to Leatherhead the train is driver only but after that it required a conductor. Why do some parts of the route need a conductor when it was fine without one before? Is it just an excuse, did I possibly mishear? I only partly overheard the explanation as someone else had asked the driver but it seemed a bit odd to me.

Could be to do with automated ticket barriers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

pointsofdata posted:

Seems like it would be cheaper in the long term to install them and ditch the conductor

In the long term it's someone else's problem

• Locked thread