Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

I travel from Greater London up to Yorkshire fairly regularly, and the last time I did it I was absolutely furious to find that peak time for that service now starts at 3pm. I mean, really? I did some sums with an online taxi calculator and arrived at the conclusion that it would be cheaper for two people to share a cab from my place to North Yorkshire than it would be to catch the train. And that's not even travelling first class or anything. And is just insane.

Anyway, I have a question. I seem to remember, before the last General Election, reading a rumour that maybe if Labour had got in again they were considering allowing ASLEF to run (or bid for, however it works) the East Coast Main Line services, rather than it being run by private operators. I imagine I read it in Private Eye, but I'm not sure. Was that ever seriously considered by the Brown government do you know, and how workable would it have been?

e;

Bozza posted:

The companies (and Network Rail at it's managed stations) make an absolute packet off the shops in stations, it's had huge net growth over the last few years and makes us tons of money by all accounts.

How much money do they make out of charging you 30p to take a wazz? And why do some stations (e.g. St Pancras) not charge at all? Would those be the ones managed by Network Rail, or the companies?

Pipski fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Not my cat, sadly.

I suspect they don't charge at St Pancras because visitors from other countries disembarking from Eurostar would probably turn right round and get back on the train again.

But be conservative and assume that only an average of 1000 men and 1000 women per day use the toilets at King's X. That's 2000 x 30p = £6,000 / day = >£2m per year. I don't know how much they pay the lavatory attendants there, but I'd wager it's not a significant proportion of that. They must be absolutely coining it.

Sorry. I can't help feeling I may have lowered the tone of this discussion a bit.

• Locked thread