Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s88r_q7oufE

I'm guessing when they stop sending Thameslink Brighton services through London Bridge for the redevelopment there (December 2014-2018) there'll be some spare trains as you can't fit everything through Herne Hill all the time.

Most of the brighton services are 377's now borrowed from southern so there's some spare stock I think. London bridge services are going to elephant and castle at the moment though how temporary that is I don't know.

319's on everything else though, ugh.

Zephirus fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Metrication posted:

Does anyone know why Thameslink trains spend so long at Blackfriars and other stations south of the river? The trains wait at Elephant and other places for minutes at a time before it gets moving again. I think Blackfriars is at least 5.

I think there's the also the wait at Farringdon while they switch traction current from 3rd rail to overhead ac that can slow things up.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
So commuting in and out of farringdon was fun today..

This was the state of the widened lines just north of the station

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

goddamnedtwisto posted:

IIRC all the express services from London to the airports are sold as separate franchises from the lines they travel over.

With the exception of Luton which is served only by GTR, and southend, served by Abellio.

Though you can probably make arguments that those airports are barely in london, despite the nomenclature.

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Arriva has no choice to honour the Government Invitation To Tender requirement of 50% trains Driver Only Operation, even if this court case against Merseyrail Conductor Martin Zee goes south and raises huge questions about TOC operating practices in general. Should be interesting.

As someone who has only regularly used lines that are already DOO (Thameslink, overground and Great Northern), what is the reason for the opposition to DOO?

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Dramatically less safe

Is there something about the existing DOO lines that makes it safer for them to operate like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
I was beginning to believe that travelling on great northern would start to return a person to a pre-fuedal era state of unbridled anarchy, but I didn't see bread-worship coming.

• Locked thread