Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

britishbornandbread posted:

The expansion of Manchester Piccadilly will see my favourite pub/club venue on the planet close down. In conclusion, gently caress you Bozza.

Heh, Star & Garter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

Anemone Mine posted:

Come on guys; I know you hate development, hate London because it gets development money and hate this development because it will link you to London but HS2 aren't that retarded.

edit. St Pancras and Kings Cross have just finished long and expensive redevelopments/renovations while Euston is ripe for redevelopment.

Private Eye floated the idea that the route still performs that weird slow curve in the direction of Liverpool, (despite not connecting Liverpool properly) before the sharp dogleg towards Manchester Airport: so that it can avoid going through George Osborne's Tatton constituency and irking the NIMBYs. I have no idea if this is the case but the thought of national infrastructure being bent for petty personal reasons is so deliciously British.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Just got a Manchester to Llandudno train. I did not know we still ran carriages where you have to lean out the window to open the door handle. Still a nicer than a Pacer though.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Yes I had one of those recently too, god knows how you're supposed to do it if you're an old lady or something as it's bloody awkward.

Also they don't close themselves either I don't think so the conductor has to run along and shut them all.

Poor fellow was run ragged at every station making sure they were all closed. While the driving unit seemed speedy it must play merry hell with the timetable due to the prolonged dwell time.

More than that, in an odd way nationally embarrassing. It was one of those moments when Britain seems less pleasingly quaint, so much as as pathetically backward.

Edit -... and the old refurbished southern cast-off electric train I got back from Liverpool has the phrase "Northern Powerhouse" branded onto it. Conservative political slogans embossed on on our privatised national assets rolling through the provinces, bringing the word from the capital to the plebs.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 16, 2016

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Didn't Bozza do the design work for the Lime Street approach only a year ago? Did any warning signs show up on the surveys?

• Locked thread