Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Wikipedia posted:

In June 2009 a report by Strathclyde Partnership for Transport revealed passenger figures from ScotRail contain 7.2 million more passenger journeys than were actually made.

Why is it often cheaper to fly than to take the train in Britain?

Why does a travelcard in Berlin costs half as much as a travel card in London?

Why does Scotrail sometimes run two carriage trains during the rush hour on the line between Glasgow and Edinburgh?

Fifty years ago, great men created the NHS. These men moved heaven and earth to fashion a new service which met the needs of people, breaking with tradition, experience and ordinary practice as they did so.

The arseholes we have in government today lack the ability and imagination to keep it running.

gently caress Britannia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I can drink a beer on the train, I can't while driving. Ergo trains = better.

Are you, by any chance, an oil rig worker?

Also, outside London, there are other reasons to make use of trains:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Found this article on the Beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18032721

Apparently it is cheaper to travel by taxi than by train in Greece.

I now suspect that a century into the future people will be commuting up and down the Thames in luxury yachts, all to save money. Somehow.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Bozza posted:

...post-electrification...

Are you, in fact, the Fat Controller?

I live in China and am very impressed with their train system given the context and challenges. I also worked in a transport University where everyone was keen on studying Western signal technology and suchlike but I would like to ask if there is any interest from the UK in other, particularly non-European, train systems.

• Locked thread