Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

Bozza posted:

there's an all you can eat Chinese in one in Derby, with the desserts where the alter should be.

They've long since closed :(

I'll miss eating infinite ice cream while watching Takeshi's Castle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
So there is this email going around by the University of Warwick about subversive elements on the campus etc. Did some digging and found this pretty sad video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuG7pD4qd28

Anyone ever heard of this group?

http://national-action.info/about/

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

kanonvandekempen posted:

So there is this email going around by the University of Warwick about subversive elements on the campus etc. Did some digging and found this pretty sad video

Just absolutely bizarre.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

kanonvandekempen posted:

Yeah, they were definitely on campus in that video. They walked into the humanities building and into one of the lecture halls (used to have some of my History lectures there). The campus is sprawling and wide open and there are something like 25,000+ students at the uni living between campus, Coventry and Leamington so it's no wonder they were walking about. The uni has a huge intl presence - something like 40% of students are intl - so no doubt quite provocative. They were looking at some of the flyers up in the humanities building - I was at Warwick in the early 2000s and even then it was probably the most progressive Uni in the country. The union was debating at the time the need for unisex toilets to accommodate transgender students and LGBTU as well as various National societies (China soc etc) were really popular.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

kanonvandekempen posted:

They're using music from the Wii's online shop. Baffling.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Hong XiuQuan posted:

The union was debating at the time the need for unisex toilets to accommodate transgender students and LGBTU as well as various National societies (China soc etc) were really popular.
Yeah, I can see a National society on the Warwick campus in that very video.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Yeah, they were definitely on campus in that video. They walked into the humanities building and into one of the lecture halls (used to have some of my History lectures there). The campus is sprawling and wide open and there are something like 25,000+ students at the uni living between campus, Coventry and Leamington so it's no wonder they were walking about. The uni has a huge intl presence - something like 40% of students are intl - so no doubt quite provocative. They were looking at some of the flyers up in the humanities building - I was at Warwick in the early 2000s and even then it was probably the most progressive Uni in the country. The union was debating at the time the need for unisex toilets to accommodate transgender students and LGBTU as well as various National societies (China soc etc) were really popular.

They are very obviously on campus, but pretty early in the morning I think, judging from the light and the general lack of students. I was in Warwick until last year, glad I never had to deal with these shits.

Those unisex toilets never appeared btw, unless I missed them.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

kanonvandekempen posted:

They are very obviously on campus, but pretty early in the morning I think, judging from the light and the general lack of students. I was in Warwick until last year, glad I never had to deal with these shits.

Those unisex toilets never appeared btw, unless I missed them.

I think eventually it was decided that a unisex addition wouldn't work (how to do it all over campus?) so transgender students use the toilets they self-identify with. Could be wrong.

Riot Food
Dec 29, 2012
Just walked past about about 10 people in EDL shirts and hoodies in Leeds train station. They were comically outnumbered by the police surrounding them. Anyone know if something is going on in the city today?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Riot Food posted:

Just walked past about about 10 people in EDL shirts and hoodies in Leeds train station. They were comically outnumbered by the police surrounding them. Anyone know if something is going on in the city today?

Leeds are playing Blackpool?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

TinTower posted:

Do clubs not have entry rules around this sort of thing?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Do clubs not have entry rules around this sort of thing?

There's not a chance in hell that any football club would allow EDL members/protestors into their stadiums.

TinTower posted:

Nice classism.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Total Meatlove posted:

There's not a chance in hell that any football club would allow EDL members/protestors into their stadiums.

Only because most of them have been on banning orders since the 90s.

Total Meatlove posted:

Nice classism.

How the hell is it classism to associate the EDL (an organisation founded by and deeply rooted in football hooliganism) with a match between two clubs with a long history of hooliganism (and EDL membership)?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How the hell is it classism to associate the EDL (an organisation founded by and deeply rooted in football hooliganism) with a match between two clubs with a long history of hooliganism (and EDL membership)?

Because TT picked two working class northern clubs. Could've said West Ham or Millwall, or both given that we can't go a game without rioting at each other.

e; wait I didn't realise they were actually playing today, haha

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

Because TT picked two working class northern clubs. Could've said West Ham or Millwall, or both given that we can't go a game without rioting at each other.

e; wait I didn't realise they were actually playing today, haha

Pretty much, it was the only thing I could've thought of. No reason for the fash to protest in Leeds, and no left-wing protests to counter-protest.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Bonehead is still at it, this time with two fake Twitter accounts for UKIP Yeovil and UKIP East London. Mostly he retweets links to his own wee news site and favs his own posts with them, trying to ride the UKIP bandwagon, but sometimes he posts some really offensive stuff and annoys people.

The best bit is that some actual Kippers followed the East London one and liked some of his tweets. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/11/28/ukip-officials-follow-fake-party-twitter-that-claims-gays-are-a-disgrace-to-humanity/ I'm not sure if it says more about UKIP or Bonehead, but either way it's got them eating each other and it's beautiful.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Stottie Kyek posted:

Bonehead is still at it, this time with two fake Twitter accounts for UKIP Yeovil and UKIP East London. Mostly he retweets links to his own wee news site and favs his own posts with them, trying to ride the UKIP bandwagon, but sometimes he posts some really offensive stuff and annoys people.

The best bit is that some actual Kippers followed the East London one and liked some of his tweets. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2014/11/28/ukip-officials-follow-fake-party-twitter-that-claims-gays-are-a-disgrace-to-humanity/ I'm not sure if it says more about UKIP or Bonehead, but either way it's got them eating each other and it's beautiful.
Isn't he on bail for poo poo like this currently?

In other fascist fuckwit news, Britain First were making a lot of noise this weekend about how Jayda Fransen (their candidate in the recent Rochester by-election) was arrested for "opposing Andrem Choudary", which in practice means breach of the peace at a protest outside the Egyptian embassy. I think they're starting down a Westboro Baptist Church style path, where they just get themselves arrested for trivial poo poo, post a video about how it's cast iron proof that the government is embracing sharia law and then sit back and rake in donations/money from merchandise.

Dekko
May 23, 2007
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/feb/02/police-alerted-planned-march-jewification-north-london-stamford-hill

Bonehill again!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

This likely to get any significant following?

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://twitter.com/kickoutbnp/status/562576027533475840?s=09

Forgive link - phone posting.

Bonehead saying he might be on LBC today at 1-ish.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

KayTee posted:

https://twitter.com/kickoutbnp/status/562576027533475840?s=09

Forgive link - phone posting.

Bonehead saying he might be on LBC today at 1-ish.

Normally I'd agree with no-platforming the fucker but he'll get torn a new one on LBC

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Pretty sure antifa in the area are already aware of this, I was given a heads-up by some on Saturday.

If it goes ahead, I'll definitely have to walk down and join the antifa lot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Odds on this actually getting off the ground? How much real-world backing does Bonehill really have?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Odds on this actually getting off the ground? How much real-world backing does Bonehill really have?

Pretty much zero, and even if he did have some friends left on the far right this will probably cost him them. All but the most rabid Blood and Honour types have learned to keep the antisemitism private, and they'll distance themselves from this as much as they possibly can. I'm sure he'll get a few fringe nutters along for the ride, Plod will politely keep him away from the locals and the antifa, and he'll come back puffed up about walking into the belly of the beast or some poo poo.

(Of course it's notable that what he's saying about Jews wouldn't cause an eyelid to bat amongst many people - and even in a fair chunk of the national press - if he'd said it about Islam)

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Given that Britain First, the closest thing to a mainstream far-right organisation around these days, are currently running patrols aimed at protecting Jewish people from "the real enemy" (ie Muslims), I can't see how Bonehill's plan fits in at all. Looking to attract fash so neanderthal that they consider BF too progressive? Don't think Bonehill has ever successfully got any boots on the street except his own.

Galaspar fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 3, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
https://twitter.com/VoiceOfBonehill/status/562584435569074176

LBC cancelled on Bonehead in the end. Apparently some 'lefties' are going on instead to poke fun at him.

Bonehill is too nutty for Britian First. Think about that for a while.

e: apparently long time neo-nazi Eddie Stampton phoned in. :allears:

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 3, 2015

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Bonehills off to prison soon. Sentencing next week for 5 counts of harassment and 2 of malicious communications. He's back to Crown Court for the Tescos thing in March and is looking at a couple of years for that. He's still awaiting outcome of charges about abuse to Luciana Berger and John Mann. The egotistical little fuckwad is going to get some serious jail time due to his attention seeking.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
The Newcastle pegida march got outnumbered more than 4 to 1 by counter protesters.

Struggling to find anything on Bonehills sentencing so assuming it got delayed again, hoping the little gobshite gets some serious time.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Bonehill got a three month jail term suspended for eighteen months and an eighteen month restraining order for the malicious communication/harassment thing.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
The #M21 anti-racism demos are coming up soon, on March 21st in fact. Pegida sympathisers are having more rallies in London, Edinburgh and Glasgow so a bunch of us are turning out to counter them.

Facebook event page for the London one: https://www.facebook.com/events/1539550159647996/

Edinburgh: https://www.facebook.com/events/439710179515899/

Glasgow: https://www.facebook.com/events/317044925169581/permalink/358852684322138/

Links are all a bit swerpy but there are lots of other groups going too. I'll be at the Edinburgh one with the local branches of the Communist Party and Young Communist League if anyone wants to meet for it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Much as I hate to post a Daily Mail link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-win-votes.html :stare:

quote:

"A key Tory Election candidate was suspended last night after plotting with far-Right extremists to stir up racial hatred in a cynical bid to win votes.

Afzal Amin hatched a scheme to persuade the English Defence League to announce an inflammatory march against a new £18million ‘mega-mosque’. But – as he revealed in secretly filmed footage obtained by The Mail on Sunday – the plan was that the demonstration would never actually go ahead.

And when the phoney rally was called off, the fiercely ambitious Amin, a Muslim, intended to take credit for defusing the situation – winning over voters, and police, in the marginal seat of Dudley North.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuck?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
It's almost as if the far right further the interests of the ruling classes while tricking their followers into believing otherwise.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Haha, the far right is "protecting" the Haredi in the UK? Man, imagining some skinhead chatting with them and being all "You know Shlomo, I weren't sure about you, but after seeing your deep and committed contempt for women, I think we really have more in common than not."

Unless the Haredi in UK differ from the Israeli ones, couldn't really find much online about it, kept getting stories of them loving up flights rather than if they actually treat women like people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Haha, the far right is "protecting" the Haredi in the UK? Man, imagining some skinhead chatting with them and being all "You know Shlomo, I weren't sure about you, but after seeing your deep and committed contempt for women, I think we really have more in common than not."

Unless the Haredi in UK differ from the Israeli ones, couldn't really find much online about it, kept getting stories of them loving up flights rather than if they actually treat women like people.

It's not uncommon to see Israeli flags at EDL demos - some of it's fig-leaf "See we're totally not nazis!" PR, some of it's because they think Israel's great because they kill muslims - that's about as deep as the thinking goes. Mostly though it's because since WWII all but the most extreme of the far right have dropped their traditional anti-semitism, or at least learned to keep it very, very well hidden.

I'm sure if you found a particularly deep thinker in the EDl they might also make the point that the Jewish community are pretty much assimilated in the way that far-right fuckheads like to use the word assimilated, in that they're totally indistinguishable from the (right wing illusion of) the general British population.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
LOL http://www.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-pegida-march-had-only-four-participants-1-3724963

The four participants didn't even show up to demonstrate properly, they were hiding behind the police CCTV van and announced to the police that they'd cancelled their static demo. We all had a good laugh, a wee sing-song, chatted to the other groups and dispersed. The Trots actually let other people from other campaign groups have the mic for a while too, which makes a nice change.

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011
Looks like about 150 EDL turned up to their 'national' rally in Oxford yesterday. They did a pretty good job of disrupting the city centre but it seemed like there were more folks at the counter protest organised by UAF. I think the layout of the city centre gave the coppers quite a headache though as little groups of EDL guys kept popping out of alleyways and trying to start fights with the antis.

I was a bit confused by the UAF photographer who seemed to want to take a lot of pictures of individual anti protestors - is that a usual thing? I'd have thought crowd shots of the protest as a whole would have more effect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Maybe trying to identify individual fash?

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Maybe trying to identify individual fash?
She was taking pictures of individuals at the UAF protest though, and saying to people they were for the UAF website. She was helping to man the main UAF stall and handing out membership forms so I assume she was legit but it seemed a bit :tinfoil:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh, hmm. Potentially a bit worrying then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radioaktivitat
Sep 2, 2011

Party Boat posted:

Oh, hmm. Potentially a bit worrying then.
Yeah, it's been bothering me a bit. The trouble was she was very friendly and would pop up in front of people and say 'Hi, can I take a pic for the UAF website' and you could see people were just sort of nonplussedly saying 'um, yes?' and then a few minutes later going 'hang on, what just happened?'. I mean, I don't think she was up to anything dodgy but I'm not convinced that taking pictures of individuals was a great thing to be doing. I might drop them an email to ask about it - they don't seem to have anything like galleries of pictures from protests on their website so it seems even weirder.

• Locked thread